Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Whats the diff between turbo and SC boost

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-05, 06:47 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's kind of like the difference in driving a vette and slapping it down two gears and flooring it (think *WHAM*) vs. being in plane when it takes off.

Both build up lots of power but one sort of pushes you back in the seat through the entire speed runup whereas the other sort of sits there for a sec (think the shift time in my example) and then *WHAM*

I always kinda missed the *WHAM*
Old 04-05-05, 08:50 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I always kinda missed the *WHAM
After coming out of a 789rwhp Supra to the SC GS, I missed that wham too.....but not for long.

Morris, you also gotta look at the torque that they put out as well, and when. Im assuming your asking this question wondering if your engine will hold up under the same boost as it did with the SC......you gotta look at TQ, HP, and Boost when comparing the two.....take them all into consideration when dealing with stock internals....in my opinion anyhow.
Old 04-06-05, 07:04 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well one I am really trying to educate myself about the subject of turbos and FI, I do know quite a bit but I am definitely not some kind of engine builder. So the more I know the better I feel, Bags said it very poinently, if the engine goes poof at any time I am the one that is screwed, so I want to play a more involved role in what goes on with my car.

As for the hp tq and when issue, my assumption was that if the engine was doing okay with 389hp and what like 350tq onthe supercharger, I would be okay with 425 hp and what ever accompanying torque with the turbo. I actually expect to do these numbers with less turbo boost than the SC required for two reasons lack of parasitic losses and I have a rebuilt tranny that should provide for less drivetrain loss to the wheels.

But on a longterm perspective I am already looking at a new FI engine and I am trying to assess the requirements and capabilities that I can expect with that.

There are guys on Lextreme runnning 14psi and up on a stock engines with head gaskets, that sounds great but I dont think my engine will handle it, well lets say I'mn not wiling to find out. I would however like to know or figure out what the safe limits of my engine is. To do that I need to have as much information as possible and then try to make a guestimate.
Old 04-06-05, 08:07 PM
bags
Driver

Originally Posted by morris
Well one I am really trying to educate myself about the subject of turbos and FI, I do know quite a bit but I am definitely not some kind of engine builder. So the more I know the better I feel, Bags said it very poinently, if the engine goes poof at any time I am the one that is screwed, so I want to play a more involved role in what goes on with my car.

I would however like to know or figure out what the safe limits of my engine is. To do that I need to have as much information as possible and then try to make a guestimate.

It was Bit

Here's the problem morris, you have to try and find what has worked for others. WELL, if there are no others, or 2 of them, it's called pioneering. While cool, it sucks. YOU are the crash test dummy.

Your doing the right thing. Get all the information you can, make your decision. Plan for the worst, hope for the best. Unless you tear your engine down and look at all the compents, it's a gamble. You take the information in front of you and make the best choice based upon that info.

I think your correct. I think you car can handle 400 whp. I think it's safe to say you car can handle 400 wtq. I'd start @ 6 psi. You can go up slowly with the boost. Again, it's EASY to get more boost. $15 at a local hardware store will get you ~30psi.

Do you have VVT-i?
Old 04-07-05, 07:10 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Yea I have VVT thats what is sort of making me not do anything with the Cams.

These guys have cams for the Lexus 1UZ, I havent spoken to them to find out what they are doing about valve timing and VVT http://www.camshaftshop.com//camshaf...p?p_make_id=46
Old 04-07-05, 08:17 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Well to put it in simple layman term:

An sc boost is more like if you roll a small marble down a steep incline and it builds up speed as it goes further and further down the decline.

A turbo boost is more like if you use the same marble, put it on a catapult, pull it back and let go.

Both marbles will eventually reach the same "force", but the turbo one gets there A LOT sooner.
Old 04-07-05, 08:24 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jtanoyo1

An sc boost is more like if you roll a small marble down a steep incline and it builds up speed as it goes further and further down the decline.

A turbo boost is more like if you use the same marble, put it on a catapult, pull it back and let go.

Both marbles will eventually reach the same "force", but the turbo one gets there A LOT sooner.

Well said.
Old 04-07-05, 10:36 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jtanoyo1

LOL. This is as layman as it gets. I don't think you can misunderstand this analogy.
Old 04-15-05, 02:36 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

YOu guys all forgot aabout the turbonator thing, that uses air and all, you going to give up on that?