Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Best performance upgrade for GS430 from 60 to 110 mph

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-05, 01:56 AM
Dsmart
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best performance upgrade for GS430 from 60 to 110 mph

I have looked on here and asked questions but I would like to know what would be the best upgrade I can do to get any kind of performance increase from the above speed, from 60 to 110 to pass someone if needed. I think the PI TC is just for 0 to 60 launches. I thin the supra 3.76LSD is for the same thing and also for corning, but what the heck can you do to go from that speed? My only thought would maybe be Turbo?
Now if you answer this one if you can let me know what kind of results I can expect I mean lets say it takes 4 seconds to hit that speed or whatever it takes approximate how many seconds it would take with that mod.
Old 04-14-05, 06:00 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dsmart
I have looked on here and asked questions but I would like to know what would be the best upgrade I can do to get any kind of performance increase from the above speed, from 60 to 110 to pass someone if needed. I think the PI TC is just for 0 to 60 launches. I thin the supra 3.76LSD is for the same thing and also for corning, but what the heck can you do to go from that speed? My only thought would maybe be Turbo?
Now if you answer this one if you can let me know what kind of results I can expect I mean lets say it takes 4 seconds to hit that speed or whatever it takes approximate how many seconds it would take with that mod.
I can’t speak about tc performance, but I can tell you that from a stop or from a 60mph roll, the 3.76lsd is going to give you faster acceleration all the way to the end. The only down side is your top end is limited to about 135mph. Unfortunately, I never made any time measurements before and after the install, but there’s no question about it, it’s a mod that you can immediately tell the difference in performance over a stock gs. To quote my lexus tech after he installed the unit and took it for a test drive he said “you wanted fast, you got it”. As for the TC, it’s a mod I would like to do but I just don’t want to run the risk of lighting up the cel. The 1st thing state inspections out here look for is if the CEL is on. If so, they will not test the car. I understand that I could clear the light by re-setting the ecu before inspection, but that would also wipe out data for obdII and as such, the state computer will not run the emission test due to “too many not ready readiness codes” or in other words, not enough drive cycles recorded. All in all, a TC could put me between a rock and a hard place for emission testing so for me the 3.76 was the best way to go. If you don’t have to worry about emission testing, I’d say go with tc and lsd. Your gs will be faster. If your budget allows, then go with FI. Note: If u go FI, I hear your better off using the trd lsd unit with your stock gear ratio. Good luck in what you do.
Old 04-14-05, 06:09 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,389 Posts

Something like the SRT intake +ECU (or another intake with SAFC tuning) would help more on the high end.
Old 04-14-05, 06:59 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Headers and high flow/high velocity exhaust should be a strong upgrade. The 430 will require a new Y pipe and catalysts or installing the stock catalysts in a new Y pipe. Since the 430s went back to a single tube exhaust manifold for faster catalyst light off, and since the engine is bigger than the 400s... I believe the headers will help the 430s even more than the 400s. Obviously we won't know until someone actually does a before and after dyno but the stock 430 manifolds are a big reason there was no HP gain over the 400 engine.

The 3.77 Supra gearing (3.769) increases torque at the wheels and makes the car quicker in each gear. Interesting side note is that the trade off is each gear has a smaller MPH window. Example: the 3.77 is faster in 1st gear but the gear change happens earlier at apx 38mph vs the stock gearing 44mph. So, between 38 and 44mph the stock gearing car is still in 1st gear and therefore has more torque at the wheels and therefore is quicker in that range. This happens again when the 3.77 hits 3rdnd gear at around 58mph vs. 67 for the 3.266 gears. 4th happens around 89mph with the 3.77s vs 103mph for the 3.266s. 5th around 127mph with th 3.77s vs. 146 with the stock gearing.

The SRT air intake upgrade should give a measurable advantage (like the headers) at any RPM and speed over 3500rpm.

Forced induction and nitrous are obvious major upgrades.
Old 04-14-05, 09:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i think maybe the supra tt rear end?
Old 04-14-05, 09:33 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jbrady
The SRT air intake upgrade should give a measurable advantage (like the headers) at any RPM and speed over 3500rpm.

Forced induction and nitrous are obvious major upgrades.
What effect does the SRT have on initial response from a starting position? Is there a measurable loss in power at the low end or about the same as a stock intake. When I had a RMM intake on my gs300, my mid and upper range response was strong but the low end was much worse than stock.
Old 04-14-05, 12:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by rheiy
What effect does the SRT have on initial response from a starting position? Is there a measurable loss in power at the low end or about the same as a stock intake. When I had a RMM intake on my gs300, my mid and upper range response was strong but the low end was much worse than stock.
what i heard from other owners (again, i just heard) is that on the high end you gain, but on the low end you lose, especially tq.
Old 04-14-05, 01:09 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Nitrous. Hp per dollar, it's the best performance mod.
Old 04-19-05, 01:00 PM
daleer
Pole Position

Guys - I guess the 3.76 tt torsen lsd is discontinued. I ordered one from tm enineering over a month ago. I guess they were discontinued right after I placed the order. Todd can't tell me when or if for sure mine will arrive but he thinks that he's got two (mine included) on the way from Japan (since there's none in in US). He said that he'd suggest waiting for 3 months and cancelling after that if it still hasn't arrived - long time to wait considering I paid like $1500 over a month ago. Not complaining about tm - just the situation sucks to have to wait 3 months for something that they can't even tell me will ever arrive for sure. Todd told me if I cancelled my order at this point though - then there'd be no way I'd get one later as they're discontinued and no one has them.

I guess the only way for others to get one now will be to find a used one.

Last edited by daleer; 04-19-05 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-19-05, 01:40 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have you tried RMM to see if they have any

or try www.intensemotorsports.com

EDIT

talked with RMM

they said things are getting scarce on parts

and dont expect anything for 2 weeks

Last edited by T.L.W.; 04-19-05 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-19-05, 03:47 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by T.L.W.
have you tried RMM to see if they have any

or try www.intensemotorsports.com

EDIT

talked with RMM

they said things are getting scarce on parts

and dont expect anything for 2 weeks
2 weeks due to shipping or backorders?

Theyre local to me
Old 04-19-05, 04:07 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRyceGS4
2 weeks due to shipping or backorders?

Theyre local to me

yeah eric said parts were scarce

so i guess these things are starting to run out ???

who knows ....ive got mine lol
Old 04-19-05, 04:17 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by T.L.W.
yeah eric said parts were scarce

so i guess these things are starting to run out ???

who knows ....ive got mine lol
wonder if i can stop by and see whats left
Old 04-19-05, 07:18 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Here's a dumb thought::
When I was looking in my car & Driver at the 55k comparo, they list the axle ratio on the new GS430 as 3.77. Could this actually be the 3.76 or am I just nuts?
Old 04-19-05, 09:24 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

3.769 i believe.

Quick Reply: Best performance upgrade for GS430 from 60 to 110 mph