Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I am surprised that only 2 GS430 owners signed up for headers....

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-05, 03:56 PM
mdwtexas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on JBrady's list. Signed up on ClubLexus website about a month ago. Can't wait to get them. They show pictures of the OEM headers and the prototype headers, and I can say that the new headers are going to totally blow away the stock ones. The stock ones have 90 degree turns in the piping which is really inefficient, and the new ones all flow continuously streamlined. Can't wait to get them !!!
Old 05-22-05, 12:07 PM
jamesbl
10th Gear

Honestly, as with marketing any new item, in order to gain long term business (and profit for whoever's fronting this, etc.) they should consider offering the headers at or below cost to say the first 10 participants, in order to get them installed. In return, they agree to have their cars dyno'd before and after, then post any relevant feedback from those 10 here on the forums.

This will inevitably bring a TON more long term business and profit once other CL members (including myself) see the gains. If it's good enough, I'm ready despite possibly voiding my warranty (who uses those anyway!?) Of course, this is just my opinion.

-jb
'05 GS430
Old 05-22-05, 02:26 PM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jamesbl
Honestly, as with marketing any new item, in order to gain long term business (and profit for whoever's fronting this, etc.) they should consider offering the headers at or below cost to say the first 10 participants, in order to get them installed. In return, they agree to have their cars dyno'd before and after, then post any relevant feedback from those 10 here on the forums.

This will inevitably bring a TON more long term business and profit once other CL members (including myself) see the gains. If it's good enough, I'm ready despite possibly voiding my warranty (who uses those anyway!?) Of course, this is just my opinion.

-jb
'05 GS430
Well I cant remember the exact number but there were mostly gs400 (like over 20 people IIRC) people buying them. So for the gs430 people who are not sure weather to get them, well in this case u snooze u loose. Without being rude, for the people that say they need dyno numbers to prove weather to buy them or not just dont understand tuning/mechanics to understand how ****ty the stock headers are and how much of a difference these headers will make.

Also I think brady said he's probly only doing 1 run of these headers, so the poeple who want to wait will get the shaft.
Old 05-22-05, 08:23 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are just too many separate posts in this thread that I want to respond to, so instead of "quoting" them all, I'll just hit some highlights. Obviously not everyone is reading the long Header thread and are making assumptions.

1. I think you'd be a fool to put your eggs in the "2nd wave of headers" basket if you REALLY want a set, because there is NO guarantee that there will be any 2nd wave. This is a SPECIAL run, not a "new product". It's a turkey-shoot in hoping that there will be another 20 or so owners to make a 2nd run of headers.

2. I'm not trying to belittle anyone who doesn't know engines or performance, but, HEADERS ARE GUARANTEED to make more power. it's not a question of "IF", but more about "HOW MUCH". Either way, it's almost a no brainer to say it will at least be a noticeable difference.
The old adage is....try running a mile while breathing through a STRAW,.....then try it without.

3. For the 430 owners, and heck even the GS400 owners if they feel so motivated, you can have a new 'Y' pipe made up by any decent muffler shop. The only trick there is planning. If you put the headers on yourself, a GS430 owner would be driving an open-header car to the muffler shop! Might want to plan on getting a tow or something. PLAN 'B' would be to see if the shop is skilled enough to put them on.

4. From my understanding of Brady's comments, the location of the exhaust manifold exit is different on the 430. Thus, it's basically impossible to make 1 header a true "BOLT ON" for both the GS400 and GS430. That would hold true for ANY header manufacturer where it was HOOKER, MAC, Blackjack, Hedman, JBA,, etc. This is the reason the 430 owner needs the special/custom 'Y'-pipe.
***EDIT: JBrady ;mentioned this in the header thread. "It is POSSIBLE that Lexus did not change the flange mounting locations between the 400 and 430 engines."
SO, we still are not 100% positive that a new Y pipe would be needed for the 430 owners, but, there's no way we can tell for sure without having a 430 exhaust manifold to compare with.
PS. There is a manual called Hollanders Exchange that might tell us.

Now that I think about it for a minute,.......a 430 owner COULD bolt up the headers on their own,.....CUT their existing Y-pipe so that each of the two half's could be bolted up to the new header...... then fabricate up some type of hangar system for the back part of the exhaust.
What this gives you is a QUIETER car for the drive from HOME to the EXHAUST SHOP.

Alright, I've said my piece. I feel better now.
I'm going to bed to dream about how my new headers are going to sound with my HKS Hyper mufflers......

Last edited by BA_GS400; 05-23-05 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-22-05, 09:25 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

-jb
'05 GS430
From what I recall, this was never a money making venture. There has to be enough buy in (to spread out the R&D cost) just to have the headers worth the effort. There is no plans to sell this in the future so the whole idea of "marketing" the product goes out the door. Once the initial production run is done, it won't be sold on a per order basis. It was hard enough to get this many members to commit to this. Imagine trying to get enough orders to try for a second run.

Unless things have changed, this is more of a collective effort to get a custom component made with jbrady as the point man. If people are waiting for a second run, there is no guarantee that it will ever happen.
Old 05-23-05, 09:39 AM
Fisher503
Lead Lap

What is the total number of GS430 guys who want this but don't want to deal with the extra customization needed? Also can't all of the 430 guys get together and have there own custom ones that bolt right on to our cars? What would everyones limit be price wise? I want to look around and see if us 430 guys can get it done.
Old 05-23-05, 10:11 AM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fisher503
What is the total number of GS430 guys who want this but don't want to deal with the extra customization needed? Also can't all of the 430 guys get together and have there own custom ones that bolt right on to our cars? What would everyones limit be price wise? I want to look around and see if us 430 guys can get it done.
I planned on doing a custom header to cat back so I dont care if they dont fit to the cats.
Old 05-23-05, 10:54 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

-jb
'05 GS430
I got a kick out of this. It's so typical- people whine and complain that their cars are not supported by the aftermarket, then when somebody tries to do something innovative with a new product the same people complain that stuff is too expensive, not proven, not their favorite color, etc.

Seriously, 10 sets of headers at or below cost? Wow, that's a business plan built for financial ruin... I blame the magazines with their "How to get sponsored" articles- fine if you are making a $2 sticker, not so good if you are making $1000 exhausts or $5000 wheels. If headers were really a hot item for these cars, we would likely see something from Hooker Headers, GReddy, HKS, Stillen or some other tuner. And getting them C.A.R.B. exempt is probably not seasible... given the number of people that mod their cars in the state of California, this is an important consideration.

Also, these are somewhat of a luxury item. No need for special deals or sponsorships. Does Lexus give away 50 new GSs to gain long-term business. No. Does Rolex blow-out their new watch models to bolster sales? Nah. Granted, these are "brand names," but you get the idea.

$600 for GS headers? CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kudos for JBrady for making this happen.