Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

LSD questions - HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-05, 10:58 AM
nicknace
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD questions - HELP!!

Anyone see this? http://www.drivetrain.com/TRD.html

The part number they quote for a replacement rear end on our cars is 00647-41301-200 - different than what BananaGS quotes on his DYI site (00647-41301-203). They list that part number but state it is only for a manual TT Supra, while Banana makes a point to say use the one for the Automatic TT Supra only. HELP! Before I drop a grand on this part I want to make sure it fits right!

BTW, did you guys see that RMM LSDs are now $1700 - OUCH!

Also, how much does the 3.76 rear decrease gas mileage? How about if you also add a higher stall converter?
Old 04-20-05, 12:08 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nicknace
Anyone see this? http://www.drivetrain.com/TRD.html

The part number they quote for a replacement rear end on our cars is 00647-41301-200 - different than what BananaGS quotes on his DYI site (00647-41301-203). They list that part number but state it is only for a manual TT Supra, while Banana makes a point to say use the one for the Automatic TT Supra only. HELP! Before I drop a grand on this part I want to make sure it fits right!

BTW, did you guys see that RMM LSDs are now $1700 - OUCH!

Also, how much does the 3.76 rear decrease gas mileage? How about if you also add a higher stall converter?
Not clear (at least to me ) as to whether you are confusing the TRD unit you linked to in your post with the TT Supra Torsen unit which includes the entire diff housing and 3.76 ratio gears.
I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that the TRD is the carrier that needs to be installed into the stock housing and uses the stock gears. If you are N/A I would recommend the 3.76 Torsen as the best performance choice-you gain the gearing advantage and the limited slip too!

I can vouch for the performance increase from the LSD and TC, but your mileage will suffer for sure How much is due to the hardware change, and how much is due to your changed driving habits is hard to say. Depending on how often you make use of your "enhancements", expect to drop several MPG at least... I never bother checking mine so not sure of the exact amount. Don't care that much, the performance is worth it
Old 04-20-05, 12:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

future you are correct the trd is just the lsd unit and you will need to open up your pumpkin to install it, a lot harder and you need a very good mechanic to make sure it's all done right. installation will be more expensive too.

and imho, i agree that if you are just running NA, get the 3.76 supra unit. lsd is help but you don't really use it all the time, but you use the 3.76 all the time
Old 04-20-05, 01:18 PM
nicknace
Driver

I believe the part numbers in the bottom table of the page I linked refer to entire differential units (the whole pumpkin), not just the gears...
Old 04-20-05, 01:43 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nicknace
I believe the part numbers in the bottom table of the page I linked refer to entire differential units (the whole pumpkin), not just the gears...
The TDR unit is installed in the existing pumpkin. Thus requires someone who really knows what their doing. In addition, the install cost is much higher vs the 3.76 torsen unit. I read in another post that the 3.76 torsen unit is getting hard to find. Even at 1700, (assuming rmm still has them), is a mod worth doing. My gas milage only went down about 1 to 2 mpg and the kick in performance is worth the extra few bucks in gas. The TC and 3.76lsd are the only two mods that will make your car significantly quicker without increasing hp.
Old 04-20-05, 10:35 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Here's a pic of the TT Supra Torsen rear diff (new) that I installed. As you can see, it looks quite different from the TRD pics.
rheiy is correct-the installation cost for the Torsen 3.76 unit is far less. Excellent performance upgrade if you don't mind a few more revs on the fwy.
Check with Todd @ TM Engineering...
Old 04-21-05, 05:46 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FutureGS400
Here's a pic of the TT Supra Torsen rear diff (new) that I installed. As you can see, it looks quite different from the TRD pics.
rheiy is correct-the installation cost for the Torsen 3.76 unit is far less. Excellent performance upgrade if you don't mind a few more revs on the fwy.
Check with Todd @ TM Engineering...
NO DOUBT...that bad boy will put a smile on your face every time u step on the gas