Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

RMM SC reliability

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-05, 02:36 PM
nicknace
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RMM SC reliability

Am thinking seriously about a RMM supercharger for my daily driver. I intend to keep it with the stock pulley. Any issues you forsee, those of you who own them, that would suggest I should just go with a rear end LSD and TC swap instead?
Old 04-20-05, 04:45 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well ..what do you know about he RMM S/c

and why do you want it ??

the safe bet would be LSD with TC with a tranny cooler

but i'd like to hear any questions you may have about it ?
Old 04-20-05, 04:57 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those ohter mods while great really dont even compare to the RMM unit. As long as you stay with the stock pulley you will probably have trouble free service
Old 04-20-05, 05:22 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

RMM did reliability testing on their SC kit for well over a year before offering it to the public, using 2 -3 cars as test vehicles. One of them was mine. Ironically, I bought the car (from RMM) with the SC removed.

If you keep the stock pulley that they sell with the kit, the power gain is not enough to stress out the motor internals or the tranny. Lexus already designed the drivetrain quite well from the factory, so a 60-80 HP bump is not much of a problem.

Now where do you think you can get this SC? I suppose the last kit they have in stock is still available ?
Old 04-20-05, 07:13 PM
nicknace
Driver

Yeah, that possibility of one last "boxed" new unit is whetting my apetite. Who knows if it's still available.

Questions, questions. I don't know - I've gotten burned so many times by modding perfectly good (but ostensibly not-quite-fast-enough) cars that I am looking for something with low likelyhood of problems. I don't like the thought that I have to dyno tune the RMM - they should just have a piggyback computer that comes with the kit - already programmed.

Plus, at best it seems the modded car will match the performance of my essentially stock TransAm (low 13s in the quarter). And the GS 400 is pretty quick and fun to drive already. I'm tortured by so many possibilities...
Old 04-20-05, 07:57 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No tuning is required if you install the kit as it was sold. Most people who buy the kit are taking the set up beyond the off the shelf set up, so that is why they need to find ways to tune it. The stock ECU will adjust to the SC as long as you don't deviate the pulley size and injector size as originally sold by RMM. Don't mess with it and it won't mess with you.

As it's sold, the system is plug and play. With an 8 to 10 hour install and you're there.
Old 04-21-05, 06:10 AM
nicknace
Driver

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. You're killing me! I want it badly now. Damn it. I just know I'm going to go ahead and ruin another perfectly good car.

OK. Taking a breath. What kind of gas mileage should I expect with the SC?
Old 04-21-05, 03:35 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

The SC wont affect mileage much, in fact my hwy mileage went up. But your fat right foot will kill your mileage. I was gettin around 10mpg when I was really hammering it around town.
Old 04-21-05, 04:33 PM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by morris
The SC wont affect mileage much, in fact my hwy mileage went up. But your fat right foot will kill your mileage. I was gettin around 10mpg when I was really hammering it around town.
Better then an H2 anyday with that much more speed & fun. Morris was this with your upgraded pully or stock?
Old 04-22-05, 04:09 AM
nicknace
Driver

Default OK, I went for it, but...

The RMM guy I spoke with gave me choices I'm not too crazy about, so I really need all of your help.

He offered the 3.33 pulley with 310cc injectors and said that this would not need tuning, but with the 3.12 pulley he suggested the 340cc injectors and A/F tuning. The swap in injectors in the future from 310cc to 340cc will cost me $700 bucks, he told me, so I opted for the 3.12/340, but I would really prefer not to go the tuning route if I can get away from it (I have negative history with problems with other cars).

Can anyone estimate the horsepower difference between the 3.33 and 3.12 pulleys? He estimated it would take 2 weeks to scrape up the package, so I have time to change my mind...

Thanks for the help, guys. I'm excited but scared.

Last edited by nicknace; 04-22-05 at 05:42 AM.
Old 04-22-05, 04:40 AM
nicknace
Driver

Actually, I just read the TC thread for thefirst time. What I am looking for is more what is described in that thread - I find the current performance of the GS satisfactory and might opt out of the supercharger for the TC instead. Thinking...
Old 04-22-05, 07:07 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

TC is nice but it is no comparison to FI.

If you do do the RMM, make sure you have an experience shop install it.
Also be awafre that they arent making any more parts os if you need anyting in the future you will need someone that can fabricate what ever odds ends you may need.

I had 310 all the way down to 2.62 and the car still ran rich we had to tune a lot of fuel out of the system. My point is that they may say no tuning is needed but you probably need to plan on at least an SAFC.

The mileage I quoted I think was with the 2.87 pulley, but it may have been the 3.12 bottom line is that it isnt much different between the two in regards to mileage.
Old 04-22-05, 08:01 AM
nicknace
Driver

OK I called RMM to cancel. So it should be up for grabs again for anyone who wants it.
Old 05-01-05, 09:02 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RMM supercharger

I was just in the shop at RMM Thur. I was getting a SC installed that I bought from klynch.

They do indeed have one more SC sitting there for sale.

Ivan
3dog