Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Average power gain for a catback?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-05, 08:20 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blacksc400
So you are saying that when Carson Toyota cliams the SRT intake with race ECU will produce 30HP is not correct??? I am very curious since I am buying it for my GS4. well, 30 hp sounds unreal to me, I would think max 15 with exhaust combo. Someone advise??
I didn't say that. I just said many people assumed WRONGLY that the SRT intake + ECU is claimed to give you some 25-30hp increase and the exhaust probably another 10hp or so, it would means that you will be getting 40hp if you do this mod. Many of these people would be very severely disappointed when they do these mods and finding out (no need for real dyno, your butt dyno will tell u the truth), that the mods are giving you NOWHERE near 40hp.

Just think about it, a supercharger kit will give you a gain of 75hp (or so) to the wheels. You really honestly think an intake and exhaust will give you 30hp? I doubt it.
Old 04-28-05, 10:29 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rheiy
I've read in other posts that hp gains tend to be overstated with intakes. You do get an increase in mid and top end performance (how muck is anyone's guess) but on the downside, you will lose power off the line.
...unless you get the torque converter too.

One of the best thing's about the SRT intake is that they reprogram the ECU as well. I couldn't STAND my slow-shifting, quick-to-overdrive transmission before the ECU upgrade. Now I get better highway response at part throttle. Unfortunately, I still get that quickshift-to-overdrive (probably only a 3.76 LSD cures that a bit), but with the revamped SRT ECU, it will downshift more quickly when that quick shift happens. Thank goodness.

Lexus transmissions are still not built for people like us. They're just not sporty at all, even with that damn ECU button on. Hardly makes a difference.

Many, MANY other car manufacturers produce sporty automatics...Lexus is not one.

I am considering the 3.76 LSD down the road, but I do like my 425-440 miles on a tank of gas when traveling mostly highway. At least the high-overdrive Lex transmission is good for that.
Old 04-28-05, 11:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

I've read in other posts that hp gains tend to be overstated with intakes. You do get an increase in mid and top end performance (how muck is anyone's guess) but on the downside, you will lose power off the line.
yeah that's what i heard too, and a lot of intakes do have that kind of characteristic
Old 04-29-05, 04:00 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So just simple question for people already have SRT intake, do you feel the difference? does it sound nice? Do you feel it worth to drop 475.00 on??
I am going to buy it real soon!
Old 04-29-05, 05:34 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blacksc400
So just simple question for people already have SRT intake, do you feel the difference? does it sound nice? Do you feel it worth to drop 475.00 on??
I am going to buy it real soon!
I do feel the difference on the highway, might be due mostly to my transmission downshifting a little sooner when asked because of the reprogrammed ECU.

But, in raw form, it's too loud. It needs a silencer box, or else your quiet Lexus will turn into a loud thundering machine. The box moves the roar to the last 65-75% of the throttle position. I still wish it was at like 90-95% throttle position 'til you heard it, but at 65-75%, it's not too bad.
Old 04-29-05, 07:25 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KevinGS
...unless you get the torque converter too.
I am considering the 3.76 LSD down the road, but I do like my 425-440 miles on a tank of gas when traveling mostly highway. At least the high-overdrive Lex transmission is good for that.
I'm hearing the 3.76lsd is getting hard to find. Both RMM and TM don't have any. You may have to go to the used market if and when you decide to get one.
Old 04-29-05, 08:08 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still waiting for pics of the JP GS300..
Old 04-29-05, 09:10 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

I'm hearing the 3.76lsd is getting hard to find. Both RMM and TM don't have any. You may have to go to the used market if and when you decide to get one.
Thanks. But it will be a while, if ever. As a daily driver, that gets driven ALOT (like 3,000 miles/month plus)...I need the extra highway gas mileage.

It may never be an option I'd really consider.
Old 04-30-05, 01:08 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexAristo
I'm still waiting for pics of the JP GS300..

He is not back from Japan yet, and the gs hides somewhere in his garage.
Old 05-02-05, 02:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i talked to tm engineering this past weekend as well, and he told me that the part number is no longer available at toyota, so that's the deal
Old 05-02-05, 01:07 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
i talked to tm engineering this past weekend as well, and he told me that the part number is no longer available at toyota, so that's the deal
Can't figure why toyota would stop making the part since it can be used in the GS and supra.
Glad I got mine when I did
Old 05-02-05, 11:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Can't figure why toyota would stop making the part since it can be used in the GS and supra.
Glad I got mine when I did
maybe when it's long enough (keep in mind it's ONLY used in the 95 to 96 supra auto), which was 10 yrs ago, so...
Old 05-03-05, 02:36 PM
HKS_GS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the rear end new from dealer is $1580 .
Old 05-03-05, 06:14 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HKS_GS430
the rear end new from dealer is $1580 .
That's a good price. When I got mine installed, the only regret I had was thinking "why didn't I do that sooner"
Old 05-03-05, 06:17 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
maybe when it's long enough (keep in mind it's ONLY used in the 95 to 96 supra auto), which was 10 yrs ago, so...
i thought it was 93-95 auto TT setups with 3.76 gearing

Quick Reply: Average power gain for a catback?