Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

any GS430 w/TorqueConverter

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-05, 01:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by HKS_GS430
if i install TC and get CEL. can i just take out the bulb that lights up the CEL in the dash? and what kind of code does it show if the car was hooked up to a computer? does the "CEL MODE" have any effect on my car? like make it go into limp mode. need that off the line kick,
@_@ didn't you ask this before? NO, the code will NOT throw the car into limp mode..... otherwise it would be a pretty retarded thing to do isn't it?

and yes i know some people they just disable the cel light. it doesn't have the annoying light on the dash anymore, but if they conect the computer of course they will see it.
Old 05-12-05, 09:12 AM
daleer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no CEL? which TQ do you have? i called for LSD. and its still available.
Hey - I'd like to know where you found the LSD, cause I've been trying to get one for like 2-3 months and no luck.

By the way, I have the PI 2800 torque converter on my 2001 gs430 and no cel.
Old 05-12-05, 11:43 AM
HKS_GS430
Pole Position

ask for mike at carson toyota, he can get it brand new for under $1600 can be shipped UPS to your door or garage. sorry about asking the same ??? twice . i am ordering the TC next week when i get back from my trip .

Last edited by HKS_GS430; 05-13-05 at 02:03 AM.
Old 05-12-05, 03:29 PM
mdwtexas

OK check this out. I read alot about alot of people in here that have had the precision industries 2800 stall speed converter put in and they all seemed to love it. It sounds like it makes it more fun to drive and faster too so I decided to order one and I got it in the mail today from Carson Toyota. So after I got it in the mail I go down to Eagle transmission shop and I go down there and talk to the owner. He seemed like a straight shootin good guy, with lots of letters all over the wall from customers who praised his work. I told him that I had a torque converter and tranny cooler that I wanted to have installed. They put my car up on the jack and looked underneath, and then told me that install would be about 429 bucks. I thought the price was fair, and I don't feel like driving all over the metroplex trying to save 50 dollars. He then proceeded to tell me that he wouldn't recommend putting the torque converter on the GS 400, especially one with 100k miles. He said basically that I wouldn't gain any speed and that it had no effect on performance, and that basically all the torque converter is doing is stalling my engine until full lockup occurs at 2800 rpm .Did i mention he also said that it would also affect the long term reliability of the transmission? He also stated that he wouldn't guarantee the work and that he didn't want me to be upset with them if I didn't like the way the car drove after the install of the TC. This is a guy with 30 years in transmission work. I respect his opinion, however everything I have read from you guys in the forums seems to contradict his opinion.

I need a battle plan.

I was so excited to finally get the TC only to get bummed out by a professionals distaste for that application on my GS400. Dammit!
He also said that high of a stall speed is too much for my car and recommended a 2200 rpm stall speed.
I'm just confused now. How many guys on here have put in the TC and what has been your experience with it? Should I just say forget it and instead put on the LSD instead? Any help would be appreciated....
Old 05-12-05, 09:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

not sure on the lsd, coz' it's not in toyota part list anymore, not sure if you can still order it
Old 05-12-05, 10:47 PM
daleer
Pole Position

ask for mike at carson toota, he can get it brand new for under $1600 can be shipped UPS to your door or garage. sorry about asking the same ??? twice . i am ordering the TC next week when i get back from my trip .
Man - I kind of doubt this is the same lsd (3.76 torsen lsd) that people are talking about - just because according to both TM and RMM, it's been discontinued and no one has any. You might want to double check on which diff. he's actually sending you.
Old 05-13-05, 01:26 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daleer
Hey - I'd like to know where you found the LSD, cause I've been trying to get one for like 2-3 months and no luck.

By the way, I have the PI 2800 torque converter on my 2001 gs430 and no cel.
KEVINGS AND Daleer,

Can you check the manufacter date of your car? ( white label on the driver's side door jam)
The CEL code seems to be definaley related to the GS430's, never heard of it on the GS400.

This is just a therory- It might be a problem with 430's after a certian production date?? Maybe early 01's no prblem and late 2001 models and on have the problem?
I guess the next question is, are there any 2002' and later that have TQ converter w/o CEL code??
Old 05-13-05, 01:38 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
KEVINGS AND Daleer,

Can you check the manufacter date of your car? ( white label on the driver's side door jam)
The CEL code seems to be definaley related to the GS430's, never heard of it on the GS400.

This is just a therory- It might be a problem with 430's after a certian production date?? Maybe early 01's no prblem and late 2001 models and on have the problem?
I guess the next question is, are there any 2002' and later that have TQ converter w/o CEL code??
Mine is 8/2000

CEL has never come on, since October when I got it.
Old 05-13-05, 01:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

umm, this is interesting. maybe it means the early 01 gs430 are ok
Old 05-13-05, 02:30 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
umm, this is interesting. maybe it means the early 01 gs430 are ok
Well now...my 430 is also an early production model that went into service in Nov 2000. I'll have to look for the build date, but its before nov 2000. Now I'm wondering if I should take a chance on the TC. What to do???
Old 05-13-05, 03:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by rheiy
Well now...my 430 is also an early production model that went into service in Nov 2000. I'll have to look for the build date, but its before nov 2000. Now I'm wondering if I should take a chance on the TC. What to do???
cel or not man, go for it
Old 05-13-05, 06:08 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
cel or not man, go for it
It's not the cel light that bother's me. It's not knowing what will happen when it's time for emission testing. In Charlotte, they plug directly into the obdII . 1st thing they ask is if cel is on. If so, they won't test it. ..they will say "take it back to dealer" . It would sure be nice to hear from a lexus tech on this dilemma.
Old 05-13-05, 07:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,376 Likes on 1,559 Posts

So we have Henry saying he knows 2 guys who have TC in GS430 and have CEL, and we have two guys who post HERE! who don't have the problem.

Sounds like the L-Tuned steering ECU discussion all over again.
Old 05-13-05, 11:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
So we have Henry saying he knows 2 guys who have TC in GS430 and have CEL, and we have two guys who post HERE! who don't have the problem.

Sounds like the L-Tuned steering ECU discussion all over again.
yeah i know, that sux

i hate to say too, but the two guys know with gs430 and cel, they both have 01 gs430, hahhaa.....

but i have no idea if it's early stage production though
Old 05-14-05, 11:19 AM
HKS_GS430
Pole Position

the CEL is an urban legend...

Quick Reply: any GS430 w/TorqueConverter