Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help! Need opinion on 2800 Torque Converter!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-05, 10:09 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdwtexas
Yeah that LSD sounds pretty awesome. Have any of you guys seen the TRD LSD on the
Carson toyota website? It's like 900 bucks. What do you guys think of that one?
The TRD is good from what I've heard, although a different type of LSD than the 3.76 Torsen. The main difference of course is that you still use your stock ring and pinion gears (no change in final drive ratio) vs. the Torsen which is the entire diff. (housing etc.) with the lower gears. This is where the performance enhancements originates so just be aware of the differences before you buy.
As Dave mentioned, do a search and study up...
BTW, you DID get a trans cooler with your TC right? If not, do it soon...the high stall TC needs one.
Old 05-13-05, 10:22 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought mine I had the option of getting it with the 3.76 or not, I chose not to. So my guess is that you can purchase it either way.
Old 05-13-05, 10:25 AM
mdwtexas

Yeah there are alot of posts, I thought that TRD LSD was new or something ! Anyways , yeah I got the Hayden tranny cooler and It is being put in too. I'm going to go pick up the car in about 2 hours ... can't wait I think I'm going to go to a high school parking lot across from my house and try it out and break it in a little bit ! haha damn I am going to get in trouble !

UPDATE:

HOLY CRAP THIS TORQUE CONVERTER IS SO AWESOME IT MAKES YOU WANNA SLAP YOUR MOMMA!

I power braked it at the first light out of the transmission shop to 2800 and launched like i was in a rocket ship! Thanks guys for all the input and help! You guys rock!

Last edited by mdwtexas; 05-13-05 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-13-05, 05:39 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Tc

Glad you like it.

The TC really helps to put all of the power of the motor down to the wheels.

Your tranny guy is sure a lot faster than mine was!

Now go out and enjoy your car, and after a while work on getting that 3.76 LSD,
it will be another huge jump in performance.

And be careful!

Ivan
3dog
Old 05-13-05, 06:38 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can find a 3.76lsd, don't wait, jump on it. They are getting hard to find. The performance gain is worth the expense.
Old 05-13-05, 07:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

HOLY CRAP THIS TORQUE CONVERTER IS SO AWESOME IT MAKES YOU WANNA SLAP YOUR MOMMA!

I power braked it at the first light out of the transmission shop to 2800 and launched like i was in a rocket ship! Thanks guys for all the input and help! You guys rock!
LMAO. This was an exciting thread reading all your worries and questions and you got brave, got it done and now you're happy. Way to go! .

I gott ask, did you talk to the guy at the shop and say the car IS quicker despite what he said? Also, did you get the cooler put in?

The 2800 PI TC is the biggest no brainer performance upgrade for the GS400! It's AWESOME (as you now know). I got it done probably a couple of year ago at least, and then I had the 3.76 Supra LSD installed, and that will not only make the car quicker overall, but the increased traction is a MAJOR win eliminating the overly fussy VSC nanny from spoiling the fun in almost all circumstances.

The 2800 TC and 3.76 LSD are THE killer combo for a non-FI GS400. Intakes and exhausts make nice sounds, but the TC and LSD make a real difference.
Old 05-13-05, 09:48 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Glad you like it. Just goes to show ya-gotta have faith in your CL brothers when they recommend something!
Just don't get toooo crazy and break something while havin' fun...
Old 05-13-05, 11:18 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

GLAD to hear you went ahead and did it!!!!

It was odd to hear you say that the tranny guy didn't think it would make you launch quicker??? Very odd. It won't make you have a faster mph at the track really, but, def. a lower ET.

ENJOY IT! I've had mine for many months now on a 100k car, drive like someone's chasin me and I have had NO issues either. (nor did I expect any) The cooler was a must though, before I got it on, I smelled hot tranny fluid twice.
Old 05-14-05, 11:09 AM
mdwtexas

LOL it was hilarious. He called yesterday and said my car was ready and I said I would be there in about 15 minutes. So my friend takes me there in his Turbo Altima that is loud as hell, I get out and say " How did everything go?" He said great, and said that my transmission looked fantastic for having 100k on it. He said there were no indications of shavings from the tranny and that the fluid looked healthy. He also said he wanted me to come back in a couple of weeks and that he would change the fluid in the tranny once more for no charge, saying that it would be good for the tranny to do that, and I was like ok that's great. So then I pay him and he says "here's the keys, take it for a spin around the block and come back and let me know what you think.

So then I said ok thanks so much I appreciate it, and then I get in my car, crank the beast up, and tear off like a bat out of hell . I go driving around like for 30 minutes testing it all out and stuff, power braking, turning VSC off and back on, doing stop light launches, and whatever else I can think of and then I go back home and my cell phone rings and it is the guy from the tranny shop. He says "hey what happened to you?"

And I said " man I was having so much fun that I totally forgot about coming back" He started laughing and said well it sounds like you must be happy then. And then I said " You couldn't have read my mind any better!"

They did an excellent job of installing the tranny cooler also. They ran the tranny cooler lines into the radiator , and mounted it perfectly in front of the condenser. I didn't even know the tranny cooler was supposed to run into the radiatior. He said that way when the tranny fluid runs back into the tranny its like 140 degrees and will help cool the tranny signifigantly.So I thought that was pretty cool.

Man it is SO EASY to spin my tires . It's like driving around in a souped up Camaro or something.I was at this light next to Albertsons and this mustang GT dude was looking over at me and started inching forward and stopping repeatedly. I know what this means on the streets..... It means they want SOME OF THIS . So then I see the protected arrow come on for the left turn lane and I know that I have about 10 seconds till the light turns green and that it is time to unleash HELL. I crank down all four windows and the song "do it big then" is on the radio. I brake hard with my left foot, and bring the rpm's up to 2800 and hold steady. When I do this it feels like the whole chassis of the car is flexing from all the torque and BAM the light turns green.

I have VSC off by the way....

I immediately take my foot off the brake and floor the pedal. HOLY HELL what have I gotten myself into.... The loudest smokiest burnout I have ever been in in my life is happening before my eyes and then I am slammed into the seat as I start launching forward. My rear end starts to move to the left, I counter steer a little and the rear end starts moving to the right scaring the living POO POO out of me, and this guy is about 2 car lengths behind me in a cloud of smoke !
The car stabilizes when it hits second gear and no **** I chirped the tires going into second pulling me forward like I was in a sling all the way up to about 60 mph. By this time the guy is about 5 car lengths behind me and decide to back off because I am in a 35 mph zone, and then another light comes up and I look in my rear view mirror and this guy didn't even want some more of that as he turns off into a gas station. LOL man this car is so awesome it makes me wanna slap my grandma. Damn I definitely need that LSD. My whole damn rear end couldn't hold down that power to the ground. My faith from the CL community definitley payed off! Once again thanks guys for telling me to just do it.... props to all in this thread!
Old 05-14-05, 03:21 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL it was hilarious. He called yesterday and said my car was ready and I said I would be there in about 15 minutes. So my friend takes me there in his Turbo Altima that is loud as hell, I get out and say " How did everything go?" He said great, and said that my transmission looked fantastic for having 100k on it. He said there were no indications of shavings from the tranny and that the fluid looked healthy. He also said he wanted me to come back in a couple of weeks and that he would change the fluid in the tranny once more for no charge, saying that it would be good for the tranny to do that, and I was like ok that's great. So then I pay him and he says "here's the keys, take it for a spin around the block and come back and let me know what you think.

So then I said ok thanks so much I appreciate it, and then I get in my car, crank the beast up, and tear off like a bat out of hell . I go driving around like for 30 minutes testing it all out and stuff, power braking, turning VSC off and back on, doing stop light launches, and whatever else I can think of and then I go back home and my cell phone rings and it is the guy from the tranny shop. He says "hey what happened to you?"

And I said " man I was having so much fun that I totally forgot about coming back" He started laughing and said well it sounds like you must be happy then. And then I said " You couldn't have read my mind any better!"

They did an excellent job of installing the tranny cooler also. They ran the tranny cooler lines into the radiator , and mounted it perfectly in front of the condenser. I didn't even know the tranny cooler was supposed to run into the radiatior. He said that way when the tranny fluid runs back into the tranny its like 140 degrees and will help cool the tranny signifigantly.So I thought that was pretty cool.

Man it is SO EASY to spin my tires . It's like driving around in a souped up Camaro or something.I was at this light next to Albertsons and this mustang GT dude was looking over at me and started inching forward and stopping repeatedly. I know what this means on the streets..... It means they want SOME OF THIS . So then I see the protected arrow come on for the left turn lane and I know that I have about 10 seconds till the light turns green and that it is time to unleash HELL. I crank down all four windows and the song "do it big then" is on the radio. I brake hard with my left foot, and bring the rpm's up to 2800 and hold steady. When I do this it feels like the whole chassis of the car is flexing from all the torque and BAM the light turns green.

I have VSC off by the way....

I immediately take my foot off the brake and floor the pedal. HOLY HELL what have I gotten myself into.... The loudest smokiest burnout I have ever been in in my life is happening before my eyes and then I am slammed into the seat as I start launching forward. My rear end starts to move to the left, I counter steer a little and the rear end starts moving to the right scaring the living POO POO out of me, and this guy is about 2 car lengths behind me in a cloud of smoke !
The car stabilizes when it hits second gear and no **** I chirped the tires going into second pulling me forward like I was in a sling all the way up to about 60 mph. By this time the guy is about 5 car lengths behind me and decide to back off because I am in a 35 mph zone, and then another light comes up and I look in my rear view mirror and this guy didn't even want some more of that as he turns off into a gas station. LOL man this car is so awesome it makes me wanna slap my grandma. Damn I definitely need that LSD. My whole damn rear end couldn't hold down that power to the ground. My faith from the CL community definitley payed off! Once again thanks guys for telling me to just do it.... props to all in this thread!

congrats man

i have a very similar setup 2800 stall TC 1995 twin turbo supra rear and the RMM supercharger

and that all together works pretty well also

congrats on the win lol

ive been having some fun with the locals also
Old 05-14-05, 03:44 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats man! Glad you took our advice. Enjoy it! Before long though you'll be itchin for something else.....
Old 05-14-05, 06:00 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Talking Wild Ride

it is time to unleash HELL.
the whole chassis of the car is flexing from all the torque and BAM the light turns green.

I immediately take my foot off the brake and floor the pedal. HOLY HELL what have I gotten myself into...

. The loudest smokiest burnout I have ever been in in my life is happening before my eyes

then I am slammed into the seat as I start launching forward. My rear end starts to move to the left, I counter steer a little and the rear end starts moving to the right scaring the living POO POO out of me, and this guy is about 2 car lengths behind me in a cloud of smoke !
Oh my god I laughed so hard when I read this stuff.
You have a great knack for telling a story.
You should send this into Car & Driver

I would have loved to have seen a video of this .

Great job.

Ivan
3dog
Old 05-15-05, 02:14 AM
HKS_GS430
Pole Position

how can you check if the rear is a turbo automatic w/LSD..
Old 05-15-05, 03:26 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

93.5-95 toyota supra tt w/auto it was a given
all other years it was an option

best bet is to find those years and you will have no problems
Old 05-15-05, 07:18 AM
nicknace
Driver

Default Get the LSD

Just had it installed Friday and love it. Got it from Carson Toyota last week. Took them 3 days to find one and ship it to my door, so they're still available... Best 1600 bucks I've spent recently!

Here's the thing: there are tradeoffs with the LSD, though they are slight. Now at my favorite hwy cruising speed - 80 mph - the engine is already at 3000 rpm. In a way this is good because the car is entering its powerband, but the gas mileage must suffer. The other thing I've noticed with the 3.76LSD is thaty with the PWR mode on it is a little harder to accelerate smoothly - when you touch the gas pedal slightly while cruising there is a small lurch forward. Not noticebeable with more aggressive acceleration or from a dead stop.

Overall I highly reccomend the 3.76 LSD. It took my mechanic 2 hours to install it - did it with me watching and it only cot me $135 bucks. BTW, you will need 2 quarts of SYNTHETIC 75-90 diff oil with the new diff and will need to reuse the fill plug from the old unit, since the new one does not come with one (presumably to prevent you from running it dry after you install it).
2800 TC going in tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Help! Need opinion on 2800 Torque Converter!