Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help! Need opinion on 2800 Torque Converter!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-05, 01:06 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn you guys are making me want to sell the SC and get a GS

Jonny
Old 05-21-05, 08:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
Damn you guys are making me want to sell the SC and get a GS

Jonny
Can't you put the same mods on an SC400?
Old 05-21-05, 08:28 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Can't you put the same mods on an SC400?
Yeah, but you guys tell better stories

Jonny
Old 05-21-05, 11:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
Yeah, but you guys tell better stories

Jonny
hahhaa, i think gs modded could be more of a surprise to people
Old 06-18-05, 04:51 PM
HKS_GS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so how u like the TQ so far? i had my sc400 rear end gears done at lee myles, kinda of $$ but they do good work, never had problems with rear end.
Old 07-02-05, 01:50 PM
GeorgeGS4
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

So im guessing upgrading the torque converter will be a more noticeable gain than doing intake/exhaust? Has anyone dynoed before and after on the PI tc? it says gains of "40-50 at the wheels" but i know thats a far cry from the truth... either way, i think going this route will be the most bang for your buck mod for the car. besides, tranny flush/fill time is coming up so ill be under there anyway. hah

george
Old 07-02-05, 03:47 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, upgrading the torque converter will be more noticeable than intake/exhaust from a performance standpoint. However, it sounds like you have a misconception about what the TC will do? You are not increasing the HP of the engine as with intake/exhaust but rather increasing the efficiency of the drivetrain to make the most of the HP you already have. Not sure where you saw the "40-50 at the wheels" statement, but check out this link regarding dyno runs with a high stall TC:
http://www.converter.com/whatsnew_dynamometer.htm
Everyone, including myself, who has done this mod recommends it as far as I know. Be sure to include a good trans fluid cooler.
Sounds like you intend to install this yourself? I assume you understand what is involved in the R&R of a TC? Not saying you couldn't do it (I don't know your mechanical skill level) but it is a pretty big job...
Originally Posted by GeorgeGS4
So im guessing upgrading the torque converter will be a more noticeable gain than doing intake/exhaust? Has anyone dynoed before and after on the PI tc? it says gains of "40-50 at the wheels" but i know thats a far cry from the truth... either way, i think going this route will be the most bang for your buck mod for the car. besides, tranny flush/fill time is coming up so ill be under there anyway. hah

george
Old 07-04-05, 07:50 AM
GeorgeGS4
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but for a job like this i'd rather have someone that'll warranty their work. I just meant it'd be a good time to do the tranny service. and here's the link from ltunedparts.com about the converter:

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=3

and thanks for the write-up on TC's, this is my first auto so i wasnt quite sure how they worked
Old 07-04-05, 08:10 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Where he got the horsepower gain idea from

george

Originally Posted by FutureGS400
Yes, upgrading the torque converter will be more noticeable than intake/exhaust from a performance standpoint. However, it sounds like you have a misconception about what the TC will do? You are not increasing the HP of the engine as with intake/exhaust but rather increasing the efficiency of the drivetrain to make the most of the HP you already have. Not sure where you saw the "40-50 at the wheels" statement, but check out this link regarding dyno runs with a high stall TC:
http://www.converter.com/whatsnew_dynamometer.htm
Everyone, including myself, who has done this mod recommends it as far as I know. Be sure to include a good trans fluid cooler.
Sounds like you intend to install this yourself? I assume you understand what is involved in the R&R of a TC? Not saying you couldn't do it (I don't know your mechanical skill level) but it is a pretty big job...

So I look on this link and of course it is over my head but I picked out a couple of parts that I could understand

Quote When an unlocked high stall torque converter is used to make the pull and the dynamometer software has not been changed to allow for the fluid coupling differences the dynamometer readings will all be bogus.

The only really true test of the performance of a vehicle is to take it to the track and see what
ET and MPH the car will run.Quote

I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but for a job like this i'd rather have someone that'll warranty their work. I just meant it'd be a good time to do the tranny service. and here's the link from ltunedparts.com about the converter:

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=3

and thanks for the write-up on TC's, this is my first auto so i wasnt quite sure how they worked

So I hit his link and it is from Carson Toyota and this is what it says about the TC and HP gain

Quote The average horsepower gain is up to 40-50 horsepower to the rear wheels due to the torque multiplication and increased stall speed. Quote

I don't know where they got this but it is in their pitch to sell them

By the way I have one and love it

Ivan
3dog

Last edited by 3dog; 07-04-05 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-04-05, 12:40 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

OK, I read that quote on the L-Tuned Parts site and I have to say that it seems to be kinda misleading (IMO).
Referring again to the PI website link I posted, it clearly cautions against misinterpreting dyno reads with a high stall TC. That would seem to apply to the "40-50 HP" statement on L-Tuned site.
I do agree that the higher torque multiplication combined with the higher stall speed (not to mention the much more heavy duty construction) makes it feel as if you've gained a bunch of HP. Bottom line: EXCELLENT performance upgrade for the GS!
Old 08-23-05, 04:20 PM
CPALex
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anybody installed a TC themselves? I've installed trannies on later model real-wheel drive vehicles so I've also worked on torque converters. Is it a difficult job on a GS?

Also, isn't the transmission in the GS300 the same as the GS400?