Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Magnaflow Exhaust for 1999 GS 400

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-05, 09:47 AM
Evoitis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnaflow Exhaust for 1999 GS 400

Hi everyone, I'm a 45 year old noob to the Lexus world. I purchased a 1999 GS 400 with 9,300 original miles on it last weekend for my wife. This car is looks awesome for being 6 years old & we couldn't be happier with this purchase... anyway here's my question.

I have a few high performance vehicles that are turbo charged (930 Porsche & highly built Evo VIII). My wife wants her GS 400 to have a throaty rumble w/low cabin noise.

I've searched the forums and like what everyone has had to say about the Magnaflow exhaust. What I've noticed is everyone has installed these on SC300/400's.

Do I need to do a full cat-back system to achive my goals for the GS 400.... or would swaping out mufflers work as well. I'm not looking for H.P. gains (or to spend big $$$), just a nice exhaust note. I'd like to hear from other GS 400 owners who have modified their exhaust utilizing the Magnaflow or other exhaust systems. I live in South Orange County in California if you have any referrals for that area.

Thanks.... Tim
Old 05-17-05, 09:53 AM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome aboard... That is quite a find. As far as the magnaflow goes, they dont make a cat back for out car. You have to get the mufflers of your choice and have them welded up. You can PM SoCalSC4, he has the Magnaflow on his GS4 and it looks great. Since you are both in SoCal I am sure that you could hear it too. There are lots of great choices for a throaty exhaust that bolts up easy for the GS.

How about some pics too?
Old 05-17-05, 09:53 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Hey man first off welcome to the site. It is a great resource for anyone.
Second, if you can wait a couple days I will let you know how they sound on a 2000 GS300. I just purchased them and they should arrive any day now.
You could also as lexaristo about them, he has them on his gs300 as well.
Old 05-17-05, 10:15 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hello Tim,
Congrats on the GS purchase, and welcome to Club Lexus.
A '99 with under 10K miles? That's unheard of! I think you & your wife will REALLY enjoy this car!

For a subtle sound, just replace the rear muffler 'cans' with a pair of MagnaFlows. I did this on my 2000 GS 400 (with a nice pair of MagnaFlow tips) and I am quite pleased with the sound. On the freeway, the car basically sounds stock from inside. Sometimes I wish the exhaust had a bit more 'bite' to it, but I don't want it too loud or resonant for longer trips (like when returning from Vegas with a hint of hangover).

The consensus seems to be that a full cat-back doesn't free up much power over stock- apparently, the headers are the biggest restriction.

If you want a bit more sound, you can ditch the resonators forward of the rear axle, or replace them with a pair of MagnaFlow resonators. There are a couple of good installers in south Orange County- I can ask the guys at MagnaFlow to recommend one. By the way if you want to hear my system, I am in south OC too... would be happy to demo it for you!

Once upon a time, MagnaFlow had plans to develop a bolt-on cat-back system for the GS cars. Business has been so good for them, they have postponed prototyping a system until they can catch up with newer car models.

Over this summer, a friend of mine is going to fabricate a mandrel-bent system for me utilizing MagnaFlow components and high-flow CarSound cats. This should wake the sound up a bit...

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 05-17-05 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-17-05, 12:16 PM
Evoitis
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replys, thes boards are more civilized than the Evolution Forums ..... is there a model # for the Magnaflow Muffler I should be requesting? The one I notice most that board members are using is #14829. I've been quoted prices from $300 to $450.00 for 2 mufflers w/tips.... I just want to be sure what they want to install is the correct item.

I bought my GS 400 at Tustin Lexus. My buddy (Tony) is the fianance manager there (plus his dad is part owner of that dealership). The car was owned by Mr. Ramos (he's the "R" of the TRW Corporation), he owned several Lexus's and traded this one in on the new Hybrid. I thought it was to good to be true also.... I saw all of the maintaince records for the car and bought it on the spot.

And yes, my wife loves her Lexus. She went from a Honda v6 Accord to the GS 400...
Old 05-17-05, 12:16 PM
Ex540guy
Rookie

As a fellow 45 year old GS400 owner, I'd advise against the Magnaflows. Granted, it's all subjective, but I ran them on my '97 Cobra with their x-pipe, and also on my 5.0 Explorer with Ford Motorsport headers and 3" tailpipe. I hated them. On the Cobra they were quieter than stock on the outside, but droned on the inside, and on the Explorer, it droned worse than a Flowmaster!

On my GS, I went with the Borla system, and replaced the front resonator and the "Y" behind it with a Flowmaster reducer cone (3" to 2 1/2") and a Flowmaster "Y", 2 1/2" to (2) 2". The sound is just what I wanted on a car like this - you hear it when you get on it, but when you're cruising, it's almost like stock. No drone issues. I'm really pleased.

Bob - from all the research I've done, and knowing how much engineering Toyota puts in to their exhaust systems, I have to agree with you about the none to nominal HP gains. I'm curious to hear how the CarSound cats compare, because the factory cats are metallic substrate, and are really free flowing. Unless CarSound has come out with something new, their cats are ceramic substrate, which is cheaper and more restrictive, to my knowledge. Let me know if I'm off base here.

Pete
Old 05-17-05, 01:10 PM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the replys, thes boards are more civilized than the Evolution Forums ..... is there a model # for the Magnaflow Muffler I should be requesting? The one I notice most that board members are using is #14829. I've been quoted prices from $300 to $450.00 for 2 mufflers w/tips.... I just want to be sure what they want to install is the correct item.
Hey man I just ordered 2 mufflers 14829 from this site www.hottexhaust.com. Rediculous pricing, like 185 for 2 shipped!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-17-05, 02:04 PM
Evoitis
Driver School Candidate

Ex540guy I know what you mean by cabin noise. My 930 turbo is basically stock, cabin noise isn't that bad. My Evoultion VIII is another story.... I have 370 whp on that little beast. The cabin noise wears on you after a full day of driving.

What did your system cost you? What part of California are you in? I live in the foothills of Mission Viejo (Coto de Caza).
Old 05-17-05, 05:12 PM
benxd
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexis11
Hey man I just ordered 2 mufflers 14829 from this site www.hottexhaust.com. Rediculous pricing, like 185 for 2 shipped!!!!!!!!!!!
Keep us posted on how it sounds! Put up a vid if you can. If you need someone to host, just ask me.

How did you get it for $185? My total comes to $200.
Old 05-17-05, 05:53 PM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Keep us posted on how it sounds! Put up a vid if you can. If you need someone to host, just ask me.
Ya I will defenitley do that and as far as the price I wasnt asking any questions lol
Old 05-18-05, 06:20 PM
Ex540guy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Evoitis
Ex540guy I know what you mean by cabin noise. My 930 turbo is basically stock, cabin noise isn't that bad. My Evoultion VIII is another story.... I have 370 whp on that little beast. The cabin noise wears on you after a full day of driving.

What did your system cost you? What part of California are you in? I live in the foothills of Mission Viejo (Coto de Caza).
I can't imagine a 370 whp Evo. I had one of the first WRX wagons up here (I live in Cupertino (Silicon Valley)) in early '01. With a few mods, it was an unbelievable handler. I didn't like that it needed to be buzzed all the time to make any power, and that it absolutely wilted in the heat, even with the intercooler. There's something about a V8...

I bought the Borlas used for $200. They're ~$500 new. The reducer and the "Y" were $65, I think, from Summit. The place that does my exhaust owed me a favor, so the labor was free. I'm guessing it would have been less than $100 if I walked in off the street. The hardest part was getting the tips centered in the bumper openings; the Borla hangers are junk. Other guys have complained about this, as well. The system is otherwise really well made, and the mufflers tuck up nicely.
Old 05-18-05, 06:39 PM
nicknace
Driver

My advice: buy a K&N FIPK intake instead. You will get a nice thraoty sound with throttle but stock quiet at cruise and idle. My other car is an LS1 TransAm with a Borla exhaust, so I'm not talking out my ***. I think you'll be pleased with the sound.
Old 05-19-05, 07:52 PM
tommyGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OFF TOPIC FOR A SECOND

i'm thinking of changing exhaust
and anybody know if a magnaflow would sound good on a 300
Old 05-25-05, 10:32 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by benxd

How did you get it for $185? My total comes to $200.
Search for the coupon code

Jonny
Old 05-25-05, 03:31 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Ex540guy
On my GS, I went with the Borla system, and replaced the front resonator and the "Y" behind it with a Flowmaster reducer cone (3" to 2 1/2") and a Flowmaster "Y", 2 1/2" to (2) 2". The sound is just what I wanted on a car like this - you hear it when you get on it, but when you're cruising, it's almost like stock. No drone issues. I'm really pleased.
Pete, I am trying to follow your layout. The front Y pipe is dual 50mm into a single 60mm, this goes through a 60mm resonator and then spilts again with a formed Y pipe.

What did you reduce from 3"?
Which Y pipe did you replace?
Do you have pics?

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Exhaust for 1999 GS 400