Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

exhaust help, very loud

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-05, 03:49 AM
vietnamese
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust help, very loud

i just got my exhuast put on today on my gs400. I got tanabe tuner medalion racing muffler, i was going to get the hyper that everyone eles on has, but the racing was on sale, so i got the racing one.

Now, went to the muffler shop, got it put on, i took off all 3 stock resonator and ran straight pipe from the cat all the way to the muffler. No X or Y pipe, just straight now. Now the problem is the exhaust is very loud, i been searching and read removing the resonator gave it a mean growl, but mine is just really loud. Im not sure due to the fact of the straight pipe or due to the racing muffler, which i believe is louder than the hyper. It sounds exactly like a hot rod. Very loud, it has a deep tone at take off, but once you reach high rpm, the noise start popping like fart noise. There is also a very loud drone at crusing speed like those mustang with the drone, but mine is louder.

Now, what can i do to get rid of the popping noise and get rid of the drone, would putting back the 2 stock resonator help quite it, or getting a glasspack resonator, would it help significantly or just a little bit. The exhaust sound is very loud and a bit distrubing even when i cruise it. It louder than any v8 american i heard =X

anyone got suggestion, please help, need to fix this loud noise.
Old 05-22-05, 05:23 AM
BUSTN
Instructor

run a x pipe and add the resonators back on.
Old 05-22-05, 10:19 AM
HKS_GS430
Pole Position

takeing the resonaters off makes the car veryyy loud.mustang loud like how a V8 is suppose to sound.. slap back those resonaters and you will be a happy camper again,
Old 05-22-05, 12:50 PM
vietnamese
Driver

yeah, i took off them muffler because i was reading on the forum and everyone say taking off the muffler give you a mean growl, but i didnt know it was going to some american muscle car growl. Is it best to put the stock resonator back on or should i put the a aftermarket resonator?
Old 05-22-05, 06:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

why you took out the x as well? x is what give out better sound, and without the x pipe you are going to lose power right? you need the x pipe to balance it out, no?

anyway, resonator is definitely a big problem too
Old 05-22-05, 11:27 PM
vietnamese
Driver

well the stock exhaust pipe didnt really have a x pipe to began with, it was a y pipe and the muffler shop told me to do straight pipe from the cat if i want most performance, since that how mustang and such run it. so i did and yeah it super loud.

I went back and put back on my 2 long stock resonator, 3rd one was removed. sound alot nicer now, a deep rumble and thoarty. and quite on the freeway. i was going to put aftermarket resonator, but i wasn't sure if it was going to quite it to much, so stock one went back on.

As for a performance, i feel a tad bit differnce now, i felt a huge difference yesterday with no resonator on top end, lost low end, but top end i felt a big difference.

so does x pipe help the car sound better, can someone explain how x pipe works exactly, and does it make it sound better, does it increase or decrease performance also? i have straight pipe from cat to exhuast with resonator in the middle, is x pipe required?
Old 05-23-05, 12:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i don't know since i am not hard core enough, but from the limited reading and listening i have done, if you want good power out of the v8 engine, you ned to have x pipe so that the two exhaust can join, equalize the pressure or something like that

the stock setup doesn't really have a x pipe, but the two pipes coming down from engine join together before they fork out again to the separate mufflers
Old 05-23-05, 02:25 AM
vietnamese
Driver

anyone eles have more info on x pipe, since i couldn't find much info when i search.
Old 05-23-05, 09:28 AM
HKS_GS430
Pole Position

the x pipes helps to prevent your exhaust from pulsating and smooth out your exhaust tone at idle, and help to excavate exhaust fumes at wide open throttle. with only mufflers, your car should be a tad too loud for everyday driving. you should be able to hear your car from inside your house b4 you even pull in to drive way. IMHO i think only cars with a crazy body kits or hook up to the max , should take off their resonators, dont sound right on mild looking cars.
Old 05-23-05, 09:43 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HKS_GS430
the x pipes helps to prevent your exhaust from pulsating and smooth out your exhaust tone at idle, and help to excavate exhaust fumes at wide open throttle. with only mufflers, your car should be a tad too loud for everyday driving. you should be able to hear your car from inside your house b4 you even pull in to drive way. IMHO i think only cars with a crazy body kits or hook up to the max , should take off their resonators, dont sound right on mild looking cars.
I actually LOVE it as loud as possible....I prefer the paradox...People will think it's a domestic V8 but when they find out it's a LEXUS luxury sport sedan, you get the best of both worlds IMHO...

Vietnamese, I would be glad to swap exhaust systems with you. I have the stock y and the Borla exhaust (only 1 year old). It has a deep rumble at idle but very quiet inside...I also have the Greddy X-pipe section if you want it a little more louder. Let me know or PM me...

If you are in SoCal, I know a place we can meet up and do the swap...

Brent
Old 05-23-05, 11:19 AM
vietnamese
Driver

hmm, well i got the 2 stock resonator back on so it a bit quite now at idel and crusing speed, but mine was annoying loud, it was louder than a harley =X and made fart noise like a hot rod. Mine is all custom weld pipe at the muffler shop, so swap isn't really possible without spending more money at the muffler shop than i already did. Mine is pretty loud still, but a nice thoarty rumble throughout the powerband, it actually quiter on high end on low end. It pretty loud, but quite on freeway, what i wanted. If you want to hear it, we can meet up, since i want to hear other exhuast on gs, i havnt heard any other exhaust on a gs4 before so i do not know how mine compares to other. I didnt get borla because a few people compliment that it was a bit to quite.
Old 05-23-05, 11:43 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vietnamese
hmm, well i got the 2 stock resonator back on so it a bit quite now at idel and crusing speed, but mine was annoying loud, it was louder than a harley =X and made fart noise like a hot rod. Mine is all custom weld pipe at the muffler shop, so swap isn't really possible without spending more money at the muffler shop than i already did. Mine is pretty loud still, but a nice thoarty rumble throughout the powerband, it actually quiter on high end on low end. It pretty loud, but quite on freeway, what i wanted. If you want to hear it, we can meet up, since i want to hear other exhuast on gs, i havnt heard any other exhaust on a gs4 before so i do not know how mine compares to other. I didnt get borla because a few people compliment that it was a bit to quite.
It's actually funny...Borla may be quieter if all you are replacing is just the muffler section. However, you found out the hard way that once you change the piping from the muffler back, it really doesn't matter what exhaust you use because it will be LOUD as heck!

Brent
Old 05-23-05, 11:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by BLiu
It's actually funny...Borla may be quieter if all you are replacing is just the muffler section. However, you found out the hard way that once you change the piping from the muffler back, it really doesn't matter what exhaust you use because it will be LOUD as heck!

Brent
haha yeah, i can tell that the middle resonators they are doing a lot of job in quieting the car down

hey brent, i thought you were FORCED to get a quiet exhaust coz' your wife is complaining!
Old 06-01-05, 03:41 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
haha yeah, i can tell that the middle resonators they are doing a lot of job in quieting the car down

hey brent, i thought you were FORCED to get a quiet exhaust coz' your wife is complaining!
Took care of THAT problem, heh heh...she's driving a Minivan now...

Brent
Old 06-01-05, 05:01 PM
SUPRAboy80
Pole Position

Wink exh knowledge..

Originally Posted by rominl
i don't know since i am not hard core enough, but from the limited reading and listening i have done, if you want good power out of the v8 engine, you ned to have x pipe so that the two exhaust can join, equalize the pressure or something like that

the stock setup doesn't really have a x pipe, but the two pipes coming down from engine join together before they fork out again to the separate mufflers

maybe jbrady can chime in....here? or you all need to read the "header " thread to gaing some insight on exhaust workings...

Quick Reply: exhaust help, very loud