Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is srt intake worth the price?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-05, 02:02 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Hollywood
On either FI or NA more air is better period, colder air is better on both but more for NA than FI because with FI you have the intercooler to help out to cool down the air going back into the throttlebody.

An intake design is more important on a NA car over a FI car. Why? Cause the the turbo has a compressor wheel that sucks in the air like a vacum. Many turbo cars have the intake cone right on the compressor housing even, where as it has been proven that cold air intakes on NA cars perform a lot better than warm air/short ram intakes.

you made some great points , however the point you make about volume of air being sucked in by turbo/sc is alittle off , turbo is run off exaust gases but the more air it can ingest wether cold or hot is what makes it work which is why always a conical filter is always used for as you said yourself the intercooler will be cooling the compressed air , now using it for na is not a good thing for true performance , all its doing from a standstill is ingesting hot engine air and as we know hotair robs power . some feel providing a cold air box and or extending the pipes or connections so that its out of the engine bay will gives great gains , all i say great marketing hoopla. in mid to upper range you get quicker throttle response but thats about it aside from noise. its ingesting more volume of air but wheres the fuel to add to utilize the excess air.. bro , i have tried 3 different kinds , srt , rmm and k&n and theirs no real diff.imo

i ported my oem air box , ran 2 1/2 in plumbing down to next to the fog light , made a 2 1/4 hole into the black platice and now the car is sucking colder air from down below , coupled with the toms foam hi flow racing filter , my throttle response in instant , no lag but more power , i doubt it , but i get into the higher speeds with less effort

i am thinking about doing a srt intake with a safc fuel controller and get it dyno tuned in one session with a couple of hi flow cats . i really wonder tuned professionally if one could not expect 30-45 more hp with these bolt ons which would prove to be a great deal money wise as compared to a s/c that will get you 45-60 hp more for 4k more
Old 05-29-05, 06:07 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corkycal
dynoed may say increase but getting it to the rear wheels is another story. it may be best to try out your friends and see if you feel a difference before laying out the cash.
The above statement is wrong.

If you look at SRT's dyno, you will see that they compared a stock gs400 to one with their intake/ecu. SRT does not have an engine dyno. They dyno their cars AT THE WHEELS. Even if they had access to an engine dyno, they wouldn't be insane enough to do a tranny swap just to fudge the numbers.

There has been alot of misinformation in this thread.

Last edited by verylost; 05-29-05 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-29-05, 08:46 PM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
you made some great points , however the point you make about volume of air being sucked in by turbo/sc is alittle off , turbo is run off exaust gases but the more air it can ingest wether cold or hot is what makes it work which is why always a conical filter is always used for as you said yourself the intercooler will be cooling the compressed air , now using it for na is not a good thing for true performance , all its doing from a standstill is ingesting hot engine air and as we know hotair robs power . some feel providing a cold air box and or extending the pipes or connections so that its out of the engine bay will gives great gains , all i say great marketing hoopla. in mid to upper range you get quicker throttle response but thats about it aside from noise. its ingesting more volume of air but wheres the fuel to add to utilize the excess air.. bro , i have tried 3 different kinds , srt , rmm and k&n and theirs no real diff.imo
Dont take this the wrong way but I think you need to do some reading on how turbo's work.

Turbo's are not driven off exhaust gasses like you describe. The exhaust gasses drive the tubine wheel in the turbine housing and exit out of the down pipe(internal waste gated) or down pipe and external waste gate (external gated). Since the turbine shaft is the same shaft as the compressor wheel the compressor wheel this in turn pulls the air through the intake, as this air gets compressed in the compressor housing and charge piping the actual compression of the air creates heat as the molecules are moving/squished this gives off thermal energy as a by product, then the inter cooler does its job. All of the air that is used for combustion originates from the compressor inlet. The air meter then either takes the reading from a pipe before the compressor inlet or in the charge piping on the cold side right near the throttle body, this is called a blow through design.

Colder air is better and it does give gains, you may not notice it on a 3700lb car but on a 2400lb car it is noticeable. That scientific fact of colder air is more dense which mens there are more oxygen molecules in 1 cubic cm. More oxygen plus more fuel equals more power. Some turbo cars take it further by using inter cooler sprayers with NO2, or CO2 to cool the intake even further. Some turbo cars but more trucks use methanol, water, propane injection to again cool the intake temps even further.

Now lets take in the altitude. The higher altitude you live in the less power your car makes. This again goes to oxygen density in the air. Higher altitudes have less oxygen in the air. Less O2 means less potential HP. So when you see quarter mile time from cars from Denver and compare them too California coast, the Californians have the upper hand.
Old 05-30-05, 05:12 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Hollywood
Dont take this the wrong way but I think you need to do some reading on how turbo's work.

Turbo's are not driven off exhaust gasses like you describe. The exhaust gasses drive the tubine wheel in the turbine housing and exit out of the down pipe(internal waste gated) or down pipe and external waste gate (external gated). Since the turbine shaft is the same shaft as the compressor wheel the compressor wheel this in turn pulls the air through the intake, as this air gets compressed in the compressor housing and charge piping the actual compression of the air creates heat as the molecules are moving/squished this gives off thermal energy as a by product, then the inter cooler does its job. All of the air that is used for combustion originates from the compressor inlet. The air meter then either takes the reading from a pipe before the compressor inlet or in the charge piping on the cold side right near the throttle body, this is called a blow through design.

Colder air is better and it does give gains, you may not notice it on a 3700lb car but on a 2400lb car it is noticeable. That scientific fact of colder air is more dense which mens there are more oxygen molecules in 1 cubic cm. More oxygen plus more fuel equals more power. Some turbo cars take it further by using inter cooler sprayers with NO2, or CO2 to cool the intake even further. Some turbo cars but more trucks use methanol, water, propane injection to again cool the intake temps even further.

Now lets take in the altitude. The higher altitude you live in the less power your car makes. This again goes to oxygen density in the air. Higher altitudes have less oxygen in the air. Less O2 means less potential HP. So when you see quarter mile time from cars from Denver and compare them too California coast, the Californians have the upper hand.

great point from a scientific perspective but the real point was on a na car intakes are mainly noise creating maybe 5-10hp if you are lucky , concial filters/intakes are for forced induction , that really was the main point of this thread.. i must admit , i am still learning about forced induction so i cant really question the some of your points so i will give you the benefit
Old 05-30-05, 11:58 AM
HKS_GS430
Pole Position

so no one w/srt intake have actually strapped their car down to a dyno. i will believe the claimed HP when i see it on paper by a fellow Cl member and not dyno charts from the manufacturer.
Old 05-30-05, 01:29 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 322 Likes on 197 Posts

great point from a scientific perspective but the real point was on a na car intakes are mainly noise creating maybe 5-10hp if you are lucky , concial filters/intakes are for forced induction , that really was the main point of this thread.. i must admit , i am still learning about forced induction so i cant really question the some of your points so i will give you the benefit
And even more applicable is the fact that the person who started this thread was specifically asking if the SRT intake is worth the $400 + it costs.

I have to agree with lex4life - it is definitely not worth it for a GS. You may gain some HP at the top end, but to me that is a total waste. I want more bottom end power. You may be getting cooler air with the SRT intake, but I challenge anyone here that disagrees with the fact that it will have an adverse effect on the bottom end. To me bottom end is way more important than the marginal HP gains you get at the top end.

Oh I forgot about the noise factor. Now why would I pay $400+ for more noise. I mean we are not talking about some deep bass rumble that will actually sound very good. We are talking about noise, period.
Old 05-30-05, 04:13 PM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

No problem. I have built a SR20 240sx race car from stock, fabricated parts, have done countless hours of research, studied under a master auto technician, and raced in drag, road course, drift, solo2. So I know myt way around this stuff pretty well.

Originally Posted by Hameed
And even more applicable is the fact that the person who started this thread was specifically asking if the SRT intake is worth the $400 + it costs.

I have to agree with lex4life - it is definitely not worth it for a GS. You may gain some HP at the top end, but to me that is a total waste. I want more bottom end power. You may be getting cooler air with the SRT intake, but I challenge anyone here that disagrees with the fact that it will have an adverse effect on the bottom end. To me bottom end is way more important than the marginal HP gains you get at the top end.

Oh I forgot about the noise factor. Now why would I pay $400+ for more noise. I mean we are not talking about some deep bass rumble that will actually sound very good. We are talking about noise, period.
I 100% disagree. I think it is worth it on a GS4XX, on a 300 I can't say.

I guarentee you are taking more volume of air in over stock thus making more power, then the ecu addon helps with this by doing some fuel correction.

There is a guy on the boards that has a GS4XX made 27whp 30 something wtq, you will have to search for the dyno. All you guys need to remember, we drive extremly heavy cars here, they are not integra's and MR2's we are talking 37XXlb+, this is serious weight to hall around. 30 whp may not feel like a whole lot on the butt dyno.

To maximize performacne from a cat back, intake ETC, you need the full meal deal; intake, headers, ypipe/test test pipe, reduction of cats or freee flow cats, and a cat back. With all these if the ecu can handle it, you will see more serious gains. On the GS4XX's I think it will be quite dramatic.
Old 05-30-05, 04:40 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

How come no one here understands that the SRT intake comes with a TUNED ECU. If anyone chooses to read the dyno or is able to read the dyno, they will easily see that gains in HP and especially torque are across the board. It has been shown by one member of this board that the whole SRT kit gives proven gains of 20 to 30 hp. There really aren't too many mods that will give such decent gains.

When you break it down, you get an intake, ecu, and heat shield. That is a pretty fair deal for $400. Putting together a custom kit will cost more.
Injen intake = $200, APEXI SAFC = $200, Heat Shield $50, dyno time = $100. Total $400+

I have read reports of loss in the bottom end but if anyone chooses to read the dyno, he or she will see that gains in torque are at every rpm range.

The original poster asked about the SRT, but in response to others, I will agree that most other intakes without tuning are a waste.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=18
I know the poster said he "felt" a loss in low end but the dyno disproves it. From my personal experience, it is a psychological thing. I, myself, have made the mistake of calling a loss in low end when it wasn't true.

P.S I am not affiliated with SRT. I am just someone who just wants to eliminate misinformation.

Last edited by verylost; 05-30-05 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-30-05, 10:38 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the srt intake was actually dyno'd by a member who printed the sheets. he did a dyno with just a borla exhaust and got 1/2 rwhp and added the srt intake and dyno'd the car again and got something like 15rwhp but this was on a gs430 but it does give you the proof some of you are looking for as far as real power gains... i'll look for the thread..
Old 05-30-05, 10:50 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ok I found it.... he dyno'd the car stock and got 235 rwhp than added the borla exhuast only and dyno'd again and got 1/2 rwhp. He than added just the srt intake with the exhsut still on the car and dyno's it again and got 262 rwhp so he increased by 27rwhp total. so i guess it works

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...a+exhaust+dyno
Old 05-30-05, 11:27 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

. All I have is SRT intake with Race ECU. Stock GS RWHP is at 225. My GS clocked in at 263 hp. That is + 38 horsepower increase to the rear wheels. Even Mo was shocked with the dyno results. We did another run to prove this was not a fluke and the chart matched perfectly to the prior run. He said this is one of the best dynos they seen on a GS with SRT intake.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=srt
Old 05-30-05, 11:30 PM
StylinGS300
Driver

Originally Posted by vicestan
Much nicer in what way, power gain? fuel economy? If I dish out 400+ dollers for an intake I want it to give me 400+ dollers worth of better performance. I dont want to pay 400+ for an intake that will only make my engine sound better you understand what I mean?

Hi Vicestan, I have a srt intake+ecu and L-Tuned exhaust that I just taken out of my 02 GS300. The reason I took it out is because I traded my car in for 06 GS300. I'm selling the intake for $200 or both for $450. The only thing I don't have is the installation manual for ECU intake. Email me if you're interested.
Old 05-31-05, 12:38 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by StylinGS300
Hi Vicestan, I have a srt intake+ecu and L-Tuned exhaust that I just taken out of my 02 GS300. The reason I took it out is because I traded my car in for 06 GS300. I'm selling the intake for $200 or both for $450. The only thing I don't have is the installation manual for ECU intake. Email me if you're interested.
Holy cow. Somebody jump on this deal.

StylinGS300, if you have not done so, open a classified thread. The two items will go very quickly.
Old 05-31-05, 06:37 AM
wie201
Driver School Candidate

I have a stock 98 GS400 and my wife has an 02 GS430 with intake (nothing else). After repeated tests (not just relying on what the computer is telling us), she gets 3 MPG more than I do (18.5 vs. 21.5). Same driving. SRT Intake $475 + $85 to install. At $2.25 per gallon, in 31,000 miles the intake pays for itself, assuming for now I realize the same gains. If gas goes to $2.50 (where it was earlier this year), 28,000 miles. Since I have no intention of selling my car, and only have 77,000 miles on it now, I think it's worth it for this reason alone. Even if I only realize a 2 MPG change, I break even at 42,000 miles. If my back of the envelope math is wrong, please correct me - but don't add in the present versus future value of money

FYI - I have read that some people believe that intakes actually reduce one's MPG. If this is the case, just ignore the above.

Last edited by wie201; 05-31-05 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-31-05, 01:07 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by T.L.W.
. All I have is SRT intake with Race ECU. Stock GS RWHP is at 225. My GS clocked in at 263 hp. That is + 38 horsepower increase to the rear wheels. Even Mo was shocked with the dyno results. We did another run to prove this was not a fluke and the chart matched perfectly to the prior run. He said this is one of the best dynos they seen on a GS with SRT intake.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=srt

TLW,

Thanks for the post. My friends on the moon saw your post from my room and are going to buy from SRT in the near future

Quick Reply: Is srt intake worth the price?