Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is srt intake worth the price?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-05, 01:24 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by verylost
TLW,

Thanks for the post. My friends on the moon saw your post from my room and are going to buy from SRT in the near future
LOL do you know i had made it even bigger but decided to change it

but just had to prove its more than a noise producer...
Old 05-31-05, 06:01 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got the SRT intake & ECU on my GS 400. In my opinion, it was worth every penny.

I happen to like the extra sound- and this occurs only under wide open throttle. At light throttle and on the freeway, it is silent. Under load and wide open throtttle, you can actually hear the change in intake sound at 5,000 rpm when the VVt-i wakes up. I love it! It sounds like a friggin' racing V8. My dad is an old-school V8 guy- I took him for a ride and he was giggling the entire time...

I have not had an opportunity to dyno the car yet, but I can definitely say that the SRT intake frees up a few lost horses. When the car was stock, I used to run 350Zs and S2000s and it was about a dead-even race. With the SRT system I can show them my taillights- I'm not killin' 'em, but I'll take any advantage I can get. I even beat a 2002 Mustang GT 4.6L 5-speed- the guy was absolutely astonished. We ran from 0-70 five times, I got him each time.... and this was a well-driven Mustang.

This giant 4-door car drives Mustang and 350z guys insane... and I drive it on huge 20" wheels!

I'll have to put the stock intake back on soon to smog the car- I'll try to get before/after dyno runs if the MagnaFlow guys can squeeze me in.
Old 05-31-05, 07:40 PM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have it too. Did teh ecu reset. Top end is definately better and throttle response as well. I have not felt any loss of any low end. Feels good, sounds good.
Old 06-01-05, 12:03 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 322 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I've got the SRT intake & ECU on my GS 400. In my opinion, it was worth every penny.

I happen to like the extra sound- and this occurs only under wide open throttle. At light throttle and on the freeway, it is silent. Under load and wide open throtttle, you can actually hear the change in intake sound at 5,000 rpm when the VVt-i wakes up. I love it! It sounds like a friggin' racing V8. My dad is an old-school V8 guy- I took him for a ride and he was giggling the entire time...

I have not had an opportunity to dyno the car yet, but I can definitely say that the SRT intake frees up a few lost horses. When the car was stock, I used to run 350Zs and S2000s and it was about a dead-even race. With the SRT system I can show them my taillights- I'm not killin' 'em, but I'll take any advantage I can get. I even beat a 2002 Mustang GT 4.6L 5-speed- the guy was absolutely astonished. We ran from 0-70 five times, I got him each time.... and this was a well-driven Mustang.

This giant 4-door car drives Mustang and 350z guys insane... and I drive it on huge 20" wheels!

I'll have to put the stock intake back on soon to smog the car- I'll try to get before/after dyno runs if the MagnaFlow guys can squeeze me in.
Hey Bob, thanks for your feedback! Based on your feedback I am now a convert. I was always under the impression that it was noisy all the time and didn't realize it was only under WOT.

The fact that the car is faster from 0 - 70 is a big plus for me as I was not aware this upgrade did that.........

All in all a big !!!!
Old 06-01-05, 01:47 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
Hey Bob, thanks for your feedback! Based on your feedback I am now a convert. I was always under the impression that it was noisy all the time and didn't realize it was only under WOT.

The fact that the car is faster from 0 - 70 is a big plus for me as I was not aware this upgrade did that.........

All in all a big !!!!
another has seen the light
will you be next ??
Old 06-01-05, 01:49 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by T.L.W.
another has seen the light
will you be next ??
Next to get an SRT Intake with ECU? Definitely! Need to find a used one though....
Old 06-01-05, 03:10 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Next to get an SRT Intake with ECU? Definitely! Need to find a used one though....

wait? so 4 guys come on and explain that it works and than "Bob" comes on and you all of a sudden see the light? come on Hameed

You my boy tho!!!
Old 06-01-05, 04:32 PM
SUPRAboy80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by verylost
How come no one here understands that the SRT intake comes with a TUNED ECU. If anyone chooses to read the dyno or is able to read the dyno, they will easily see that gains in HP and especially torque are across the board. It has been shown by one member of this board that the whole SRT kit gives proven gains of 20 to 30 hp. There really aren't too many mods that will give such decent gains.

When you break it down, you get an intake, ecu, and heat shield. That is a pretty fair deal for $400. Putting together a custom kit will cost more.
Injen intake = $200, APEXI SAFC = $200, Heat Shield $50, dyno time = $100. Total $400+

I have read reports of loss in the bottom end but if anyone chooses to read the dyno, he or she will see that gains in torque are at every rpm range.

The original poster asked about the SRT, but in response to others, I will agree that most other intakes without tuning are a waste.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=18
I know the poster said he "felt" a loss in low end but the dyno disproves it. From my personal experience, it is a psychological thing. I, myself, have made the mistake of calling a loss in low end when it wasn't true.

P.S I am not affiliated with SRT. I am just someone who just wants to eliminate misinformation.

Very well put.
Old 06-02-05, 07:11 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by bluelex
wait? so 4 guys come on and explain that it works and than "Bob" comes on and you all of a sudden see the light? come on Hameed

You my boy tho!!!
There were two things he said that swayed me completely
1. The noise is only loud under WOT. I didn't know that and nobody mentioned that before. All other comments I had read before mentioned that it was noisy all the time.

2. He said his car is faster from 0 - 70 than 350Z's and some other cars. Now that alone would have been enough to convince me, but nobody mentioned that before either.

All in all
Old 06-02-05, 07:44 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Its all good H....as long as you get it, enjoy it and see the light we'll all be happy for another happy customer

Last edited by bluelex; 06-02-05 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-02-05, 08:01 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

1. The noise is only loud under WOT. I didn't know that and nobody mentioned that before. All other comments I had read before mentioned that it was noisy all the time.
Hameed,

To give you one more perspective... I don't totally agree that it is 'only' loud under WOT....

I would personally say it is 'most' loud under WOT. When I had the SRT intake on without the Kaju insulated airbox, there definitely an increase in sound in the cabin... somewhat at idle (a litle hiss / whistle), and moderately loud during normal acceleration. On mine there was a definite increase of noise in the cabin during normal driving, which is why I put the insulated airbox on before moving to the supercharger.

My RMM SC is most definitely quieter (except for the BOV) than the SRT intake was at all RPMs.

Regardless of the noise I think its a worthwhile mod. Most of the time I liked the noise.
Old 06-02-05, 08:55 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Hameed,

To give you one more perspective... I don't totally agree that it is 'only' loud under WOT....

I would personally say it is 'most' loud under WOT. When I had the SRT intake on without the Kaju insulated airbox, there definitely an increase in sound in the cabin... somewhat at idle (a litle hiss / whistle), and moderately loud during normal acceleration. On mine there was a definite increase of noise in the cabin during normal driving, which is why I put the insulated airbox on before moving to the supercharger.

My RMM SC is most definitely quieter (except for the BOV) than the SRT intake was at all RPMs.

Regardless of the noise I think its a worthwhile mod. Most of the time I liked the noise.
Dav e ...you and i have run pretty much the same setups (RMM S/C...SRT with Kaj box )

and i was pretty suprised how quiet the supercharger really is

but like you said BOV is loud but i love that sound
Old 06-02-05, 10:21 AM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

I think this point has been covered in 5 million other SRT intake threads.
Old 06-02-05, 10:32 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by Hollywood
I think this point has been covered in 5 million other SRT intake threads.
You think is right.

Just read DaveGS4's post above and you will read a different opinion - that is the opinion expressed in the "5 million other SRT intake threads".
Old 06-02-05, 10:44 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

You think is right.

Just read DaveGS4's post above and you will read a different opinion - that is the opinion expressed in the "5 million other SRT intake threads".

Hameed - I think it boils down to an individual 'tolerance' for what is acceptable noise level. Do you want to drive a whisper quiet OEM Lexus or do you want to make it more aggressive. I think I know the answer for you

Some members have put it on and been suprised by how loud the intake is and have taken it right back off. I try to make sure folks are aware of the sounds so that doesn't happen to them.... best answer is find someone with the intake and ride with them before you do it to decide for yourself.

Quick Reply: Is srt intake worth the price?