Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is srt intake worth the price?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-05, 11:00 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 322 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Hameed - I think it boils down to an individual 'tolerance' for what is acceptable noise level. Do you want to drive a whisper quiet OEM Lexus or do you want to make it more aggressive. I think I know the answer for you
Yes you sure do bud!

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Some members have put it on and been suprised by how loud the intake is and have taken it right back off. I try to make sure folks are aware of the sounds so that doesn't happen to them.... best answer is find someone with the intake and ride with them before you do it to decide for yourself.
Excellent advice! Now anyone in the GTA (greater Toronto area) who has an SRT intake in their car????
Old 06-02-05, 12:45 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have found my SRT to be silent at idle- this is from inside the car with the windows up.
With the front windows down you can hear a subtle hiss, which I quite like...
sometimes I roll the windows down just so I can hear it.

At freeway speeds, the MagnaFlows are definitely more audible than the SRT intake, although they are still very quiet. In fact, I sometimes comtemplate changing the resonators for a bit MORE exhaust note... but i've chickened out so far.

I am a more 'sportive' type of person, so I like a little edge to my cars. I would think if a customer is 'into' his/her car enough to change the intake that the additional intake symphony would be expected, perhaps even welcomed. Like anything in life, there are always tradeoffs- obviously Lexus was looking to make a quiet car, so engine output was compromised somewhat. To "free up" that power, yes, there will be an increase in noise.

If you want a silent lexus, keep it stock! Their engineers and marketing staff understand their clients' expectations and they build the cars accordingly..
Old 06-02-05, 02:10 PM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
You think is right.

Just read DaveGS4's post above and you will read a different opinion - that is the opinion expressed in the "5 million other SRT intake threads".
On the threads covered, some people say it's too loud. Some people say they like the loud sound of it, most also said it's only loud at WOT. There are also several video's on this forum that show the sound of the intake at WOT. Thats the information I got when I reviewed the posts using the searches on this forum before I bought it.

If that is not enough of a description and you are that picky and have to know exactly how it sounds then I suggest not getting it.

Think of it like this. A Lion moving quietly stalking making only very subtle sounds (light RPM), then picture the lion aggresivly attacking "RAAAAWWWWRRR!" (WOT). It's that loud. Sounds awesome to me though.
Old 06-23-05, 12:04 PM
jskim9
Rookie

Originally Posted by verylost
TLW,

Thanks for the post. My friends on the moon saw your post from my room and are going to buy from SRT in the near future
You know Danny? what a small solar system...
Old 06-24-05, 08:41 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

is srt intake worth the price? well yes and no

if you are going to go FI in future...then no.
if you are going to stay N/A....then yes.
if you like the quietness of the engine....then no.

for me...i am either going to keep my engine stock or go FI....all out or none at all lol ...as far as my plans specifically...thats a secret? well see hows my funds are doing cuz I am soo poor already
Old 06-28-05, 07:21 PM
NoS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So everyone who says get one has a 400.. what about a 300? I would like to have one in my 98, will it help? Anyhow I really dont have much choices power wise, the 7:36 LSD wont help nor will the T/C. So its either get this and some other minor stuff or go all out turbo.

Also where did everyone buy it from? I am looking at $525 + Shipping for the SRT GS300 High Flow Intake at www.l-tunedparts.com
Old 06-29-05, 05:50 AM
Lvangundy

Has anyone ran the SRT with anotehr filter and pipe? I'm thinking 95% of the cost for the SRT is in that chip, which actually costs considerably less. But it's the only piggyback intake ECU out there...

SOMEONE ELSE please come up with competition for the SRT to drive down the price. $500 is ridiculous for an intake.
Old 06-29-05, 06:17 AM
wie201
Driver School Candidate

I am getting the SRT Intake installed this week on a 98 GS 400, and I asked SwiftRacing to run a dyno before and after. I am also getting the Dragon torque converter installed at the same time. I asked that the car be tested stock, and after each upgrade. If they do it that way, I will post the results (well, I will post the results however they test it). I will pick the car up this Saturday, July 2.
Old 06-30-05, 12:55 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dur.
There are several cheap piggybacks you can get and tune your intake and exhaust with. Actually that's pretty much all most piggybacks are good for on most cars. Just get whatever intake and exhaust you want and throw on like a Super AFC and get it tuned.
Old 07-01-05, 12:19 PM
Lvangundy

Can you tune it for me?

Originally Posted by meZoom!
Dur.
There are several cheap piggybacks you can get and tune your intake and exhaust with. Actually that's pretty much all most piggybacks are good for on most cars. Just get whatever intake and exhaust you want and throw on like a Super AFC and get it tuned.
Old 09-19-05, 04:03 PM
Ericgs
Driver School Candidate

bump for some inf on istalling this on 99 GS 300.

Most have it on 400,430. what about the gs 300. Would it be worth it?
Old 09-19-05, 04:24 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericgs
Most have it on 400,430. what about the gs 300. Would it be worth it?
Although he no longer has it, bluelex said that it did make a difference. Was it a $500 difference, that is your call.