Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

low compression pistons buyer beware

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-05, 03:22 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default low compression pistons buyer beware

So I went to order some low compression pistons for my 98 GS400 yesterday. I know that Ross has some that are availble so I tell my CL Sponsor that I want the Ross 8.5:1 .010 overbore pistons.

It turns out that many of the ones we see floating around are for the earlier 1uz and not really for ours. Evidently the heads are different on the earlier 1uz and so the design of the piston is different the dish area is different depending upon which set of heads you are going to be using.

So my point in all of this is that if you decide to buy some of those nice low compression Ross pistons make sure they are designed for your GS400 engine and not an earlier 1uz. To compound the issue the earlier design pistons may work in our cars but they are far from optimal due to the difference in placement of the valves and dish area on the piston thus problems tend to arise.

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up.
Old 06-14-08, 11:28 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump
for HI98GS

Here is a photo of the correct Ross piston as proof that they do make them, just in case Ross doesnt believe that they do.

As you can see there are 4 reliefs in this piston from Ross two are at the top and two are at the bottom of the photo, of course this piston has some problems but thats a different matter all together.
Attached Thumbnails low compression pistons buyer beware-img130.jpg  

Last edited by morris; 06-14-08 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-14-08, 12:42 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you very much. I'll update you with my build.