Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Looking for more HP .. Turbo or SuperCharger

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-01, 09:17 AM
Spongy

Question

I am awaiting till I can get a 5-speed IS300 but I also want to get some more power to this already outstanding car. I don't want to go insane, with like 600rwhp but around 350rwhp would be good. Any ideas. Any companies that make a turbo around that hp or lower? Thanks again!
Old 06-22-01, 09:28 AM
Grey_is300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spongy,

Well with a turo and SC it all depends on the boot you give it I would guess a 8 psi system will put you close to where you want to be. Again I am not a expert on the matter but keep in mind with a turbo and a manual car you will loose boost everytime you step on the clutch. You will also have turbo lag. If you put enought power in to make up for the turbo lag your ok. with teh super charger you have the power in demand. There are alot of opinions on the matter. Take a look at WWW.swiftracing.com see what they have to offer.

Old 06-22-01, 10:29 AM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

spongy----- there are good and bad to both setups... Turbos have lag yes, but at times on the street that can be a good thing... you dont have to worry about the traction issues that us supercharger ppl have....also alot of ppl like the SC because of the low end it give out.. I like both setups and I dont really have a preference as long as the setuup can put out the numbers I want.....

XS-Engineering
toyomoto
are currently makin turbo kits

SwiftRacingTechnologies (SRT)
and Area-51
are currently making SuperCharger kits
Old 06-22-01, 11:20 AM
eortiz
Rookie

My 2 cents on turbo. If you size it right you should not get too much lag. I am also debating on turbo or SC but the bottom line on my part is $$$ Give Toysport a call if you live in the LA area or Swift Racing for SC
Old 06-22-01, 11:33 AM
Risk3233
Driver

I'm not an expert on forced induction, but there are ways of designing either an S/C system or turbo that eliminates some of the "negative" aspects of each one.

I think one of the things you need to consider first and foremost when considering FI is what do you want out of the system as opposed to just looking at numbers. By looking at only peak HP numbers or even boost/psi numbers for that matter don't really tell you anything about the driveability of the car. You should decide on a system on clear cut "driveability" goals.

What will be the desired end result of the system?

Do you want just to beef up the factory dyno curve? Do you want a linear type of throttle response? At what part of the rev band do you want the usable power to arrive? Are you just interested in peak hp regardless of where and when it comes on? Is the car more daily driver or will it be an all out drag/track car?

Personally, I'm considering FI for my daily driver. I want a more linear throttle response that comes on early in the power band. I believe a simple roots type S/C w/about 6-8 psi should be adequate. I'm not a racer and not so interested in a huge amount of hp. I also want a system that is reliable on a daily basis.
Old 06-22-01, 11:51 AM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

yep what risk said.... I would have typedthat all out but I was eating lunch... hard to type and eat..

thanks risk
Old 06-23-01, 09:57 PM
Gromit
Driver School Candidate

ok, So let's say you want to put in a super charger or a turbo to get more power. Couple of questions....

1. How much money are we talking about?

2. What does this do to the warranty on your brand new Lexus?

3. How high in HP can you go before you have tranny problems? I would imagine that too much power would be a problem for the stock tranny.

4. If you decide to go for it how long does it take to get done? And are there any shops in the Michigan or Ohio that do this type of work?

thanks,

- tom
Old 06-24-01, 11:23 AM
mystic

Default I think.....

Originally posted by Gromit
ok, So let's say you want to put in a super charger or a turbo to get more power. Couple of questions....

1. How much money are we talking about?

2. What does this do to the warranty on your brand new Lexus?

3. How high in HP can you go before you have tranny problems? I would imagine that too much power would be a problem for the stock tranny.

4. If you decide to go for it how long does it take to get done? And are there any shops in the Michigan or Ohio that do this type of work?

thanks,

- tom
1. I think it'll be somewhere around $3000 to $4000
2. Back at is300.net (when it was up and running), people mentioned about TRD SuperCharger won't void your warranty.
3. Somebody mentioned about level 10 tranny, torque converter,...