Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

3:76 Torsen LSD Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-05, 09:00 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by alsilverbullet
I am almost certain by now that Teelex is on the phone ordering his TC from Carson.
LOL I don't blame him!

Jonny
Old 07-11-05, 02:44 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I have been interested in the TC so I need to ask...

1. Could you have gotten the couple cars mainly because of how aggressive you launched? Or, would it have been worse if you would have launched easier since you would have had more traction. Did TeeLex launch just as hard? Did he have traction problems?

2. My buddies with high stalls in their Camaro's and Stangs have recommend to me to stay away from the high stall converter because I do not "drive it like I stole it" around town and said I am going to get tired of it reving without launching off the line under normal driving... Is this true or only true of higher stall converters? Does the car not move until higher RPM's are reached under light throttle?

I am not sure I need the added attention the TC mod will generate on the streets if the taller gearing is responsible for most of the increase in performance...

I still think I am going to hold out for the SC kit and keep the tranny as is to avoid bumping the limiter...
Old 07-11-05, 06:58 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CinFulxGS4

1. Could you have gotten the couple cars mainly because of how aggressive you launched? Or, would it have been worse if you would have launched easier since you would have had more traction. Did TeeLex launch just as hard? Did he have traction problems?

2. My buddies with high stalls in their Camaro's and Stangs have recommend to me to stay away from the high stall converter because I do not "drive it like I stole it" around town and said I am going to get tired of it reving without launching off the line under normal driving... Is this true or only true of higher stall converters? Does the car not move until higher RPM's are reached under light throttle?

I am not sure I need the added attention the TC mod will generate on the streets if the taller gearing is responsible for most of the increase in performance...

I still think I am going to hold out for the SC kit and keep the tranny as is to avoid bumping the limiter...
I would have to (respectfully) disagree with your buddies regarding question 2. You really should drive a GS with the TC mod because I have heard many people voice a similar concern about the car revving higher before actually moving. This is NOT true- at least in a way that creates a problem! In other words, there is no hesitation before the car moves while the engine revs up...
I think it may stem from a misunderstanding of what "stall speed" really means and does. There are really ZERO negative driveablility issues with this mod IMO.
The "taller gearing" you referred to (actually it would be "shorter" or "lower") gearing is, I assume, the 3.76 LSD? I would say based on my personal experience that the performance gain from the TC and the 3.76 LSD is similar, although obviously somewhat different in nature. It is the combination of the two together though that is really fantastic!
Old 07-11-05, 07:41 PM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CinFulxGS4

I will answer your question as best as I can; I beleive the fact that I lost some traction affected my overall launch. I honestly feel I could have done a better job at launching. Secondly my S03 tires were cold bcos I had just gotten into my car a few minutes ago so I am not sure if that was a factor. I know just the day before I ran against a new 350Z with exhaust and had a little bit of a better launch bcos my tires were hot and I put at least a 3-4 car distance between us. In regards to whether Teelex had a good launch I cant say for certain but my passenger & I could here his SRT intake growl when he launched so hopefully he can chime in with his response. We both had a good launch out of the hole but it seems the TC just gets you out quicker. I imagine if he had a TC he might be quiker due to the fact that he has a 430 vs my 400 and also bcos of his SRT intake vs my RMM..

Mind you I am still learning how my car responds to WOT launches with the TC/LSD so my experience might be a little premature. Hopefully someone that has had the combo for a lot longer can chime in.

I dont always drive like a maniac either, but I can tell you that the LSD & TC combo has really made driving my 400 FUN. Since I have 20" staggered wheels with 285's in the rear I felt my car was slow at take off & that I really needed more power to the wheels and feel the combo has given me that edge. Now I can very effortlessly go around other cars with minimal acceleration instead of having to floor it for a shift. The other thing is the tranny shifting is a lot smoother.

I also have been debating for a while whether to go the SC route and have decided that my 400rwhp TT Supra is enough beast for my garage and that I dont need two muscle cars that's why I decided to get the TC/lsd for the GS in hopes of giving me the extra punch I need.

Last edited by alsilverbullet; 07-11-05 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-11-05, 07:42 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FutureGS400
I would have to (respectfully) disagree with your buddies regarding question 2. You really should drive a GS with the TC mod because I have heard many people voice a similar concern about the car revving higher before actually moving. This is NOT true- at least in a way that creates a problem! In other words, there is no hesitation before the car moves while the engine revs up...
I think it may stem from a misunderstanding of what "stall speed" really means and does. There are really ZERO negative driveablility issues with this mod IMO.
The "taller gearing" you referred to (actually it would be "shorter" or "lower") gearing is, I assume, the 3.76 LSD? I would say based on my personal experience that the performance gain from the TC and the 3.76 LSD is similar, although obviously somewhat different in nature. It is the combination of the two together though that is really fantastic!
My guess is that they are talking about higher stall converters... they don't know what a 2800 means to the Lexus...

I found this page on the internet... and found this to echo what they are saying...

A converter optimized for drag racing will have a stall speed much higher than a street converter. Allowing the engine to get into the power band quickly more than compensates for the disadvantage of lower efficiency. On a street car, the penalty in gas mileage and heat generated by a high stall converter favors a lower stall. Also, a high stall can be annoying to drive on the street because it degrades throttle response. When you stab the gas, there is a delay while the engine revs before the car starts to accelerate. To illustrate how this works, there can be up to 0.5sec or more improvement in 1/4 miles times by switching to a high stall converter. The improvement all comes in the first part of the run, and interestingly, trap speeds may decrease due to the inefficiency of the higher stall converter at high speeds.

For a street/strip car, converter stall is a compromise. For example, a given combo may need a 4,500-5,000rpm stall for the best 1/4 mile times but be annoying on the street due to excessive "slippage" but a converter which stalls at 3,000-3,500 will allow tolerable street driving without too much effect on the 1/4 mile performance. Stock converters typically stall in the 1,500-2,000rpm range. Of course, what is tolerable to one person may not be to another and vice versa.
http://www.kennedysdynotune.com/Torq...ter%20Tech.htm

Sounds like the 2800 is barely noticeable with street delay... however I wonder if it is high enough to have as much as an effect on accelleration as the 3.76 gears...

I believe everything you are saying... I plan on doing both and i am currently looking into the gears here locally as we type.

Still not sure if I am going to pull the trigger until I know for certain I am not doing FI.
Old 07-11-05, 08:23 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

My other car is a 2 ton SUV... but it is SuperCharged...

Old 07-13-05, 02:37 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cin, I also think your buddies are referencing the sensation/problems of a *higher* stall convertor. It's good advice too, high stall convertors will be a bit of a pain around town if the car has a big cam to match the higher stall.

I have the convertor in my car, and I must say that when accelerating from a stop sign, or stop light, you will rev up a little higher to get the same vehicle forward motion as the stock convertor. But, we're only talking about 2200rpm vs a stock of 1500-1800. Not much. That's with my normal driving habits.
Of course, if I floor it, the rpms' will shoot to 2800-3000, accelerate for a few seconds until the car speed catches up to that, and after that, it's exactly as stock.

The two mods of TC and LSD are probably pretty similar in gains from 0-40mph or so. After that the convertor will not be any different than stock, but the gears of the LSD will keep helping you accelerate more than stock.

My TC gave me 4 -5 tenths in the quarter mile. Your friends with mustangs and camaro's will be able to tell you that this is a huge gain for a single "bolt-on" performance part.
It just happens to be exactly what the 3600lb, low torque, 1800rpm stall Lexus needs.
Old 07-14-05, 07:59 AM
Eliel
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alsilverbullet
That definately was some fun. I wanted to line up with another GS to test my LSD/TC combo so obviously Teelex's 430 with his LSD was the best choice. We lined up at the light with me in the middle Teelex to my left and Bluelex to my right. I decided to launch the car as I have read on CL by others. I tried to keep it at 2800 rpm feeling the rear 285 S03 tires just about to give out and the body starting to flex I launched it when the light turned green and to my amazement the car still lost traction & started to drift a little close into Teelex's lane but I quickly corrected it regained traction and off I went 0-80 in seconds and backing off!!! wow!! What can I say, It is so very true the TC makes a huge difference. Since I had the LSD for a couple weeks I can certainly tell the big difference adding the TC. Needless to say I was ahead of Teelex by about a car and a half give or take but that was expected with the TC. I earlier had asked Teelex to drive my car so he can compare the difference but he was hesitant because he knew he would be inclined to purchase the TC!! I am almost certain by now that Teelex is on the phone ordering his TC from Carson.

I was in the car w/ Al when he pair with Terry. Let me tell you that this is an incredible conbination and an excellent mod for the $$$. What a diffrence, the power is smooth, quick & precise. I know Terry is thinking about it hard. Is good to be a big dog like these guys (Al, Terry & Adrian) that can transform their cars into one of the best conbinations of power & luxury. It was great fun!