Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

3:76 Torsen LSD Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-05, 06:58 PM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 17 Posts
Talking 3:76 LSD & PI TC Combo Page 4

I just picked up my silver monster after 5 long days at the dealer to get my torsen 3:76 LSD installed along with some routine service/maintenance etc. which actually included getting all my door actuators replaced under warranty. Let me just say I did not know what to expect with the torsen LSD but the tech that worked on my car said smiling; " you are going to love driving your car"

Anyways so I pay my bill and decide to see what this LSD is all about since everyone on CL with one swears on it...........let me just say I decided to unleash the monster at the first street corner and wow.!!!.....wee!!!......my car is very quick off the line with the 3:76 gears.............I can practically smoke both 285's with the VSC off when I power brake that I just could'nt stop smiling !!! ...............It is so cool to see 2 nice fat lines on the pavement and not to mention even with the VSC on it chirps taking off and handles like a bat out of hell around corners without any slippage whatsoever. I can honestly say this is what my car was missing all along. Another thing is my 0-60 time is so quick, the car overall just feels super fast! You almost just tap on the gas pedal and the car downshifts smoothly and takes off effortlessly. This mod was not cheap but I can say it was money very well spent. I almost feel like I dont really need a TC but I guess time will tell.

Last edited by alsilverbullet; 07-08-05 at 07:57 PM. Reason: New Mod
Old 06-07-05, 07:04 PM
NoS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats!

BTW how much is not cheap?
Old 06-07-05, 09:05 PM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats man! Sounds like a great mod!
Old 06-07-05, 09:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

congrats man. it's nice to see everyone getting this (and the tc) mod and they just say they are good stuff
Old 06-08-05, 06:33 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Very Nice Al. Now lets get a pic of one of those burn outs
Old 06-08-05, 07:09 AM
DjFergi
Lexus Test Driver

congrats man!! I think this will be on the list of mods for next year.

-Fernando
Old 06-08-05, 10:49 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by alsilverbullet
I almost feel like I dont really need a TC but I guess time will tell.
Glad you like the LSD so much! I did this mod and agree with you that it is well worth the money spent! The TC is not cheap either, but I really feel that it is the "icing on the cake" once you have the LSD mod. These two really work together to transform the vehicle! If you get a chance to drive a car with both mods, you will have to have one (the TC that is).
Old 06-08-05, 10:58 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I fully agree with what future just said

I had the TC installed first than the LSD. For me the TC was a great first mod and the LSD was the icing on the cake. Now I am eating my cake and loving it!!!
Old 06-08-05, 11:09 AM
49GS400
Lead Lap

I know the LSD's are very hard to find. Where did you pick one up? Or did you buy it through a classified?

This will be on my things to buy list before the end of the year.
Old 06-08-05, 01:16 PM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 17 Posts
Talking

A special thanks to everyone. Again this is a great mod and I highly recommend it to anyone with a GS 400.

NoS Congrats!

BTW how much is not cheap = The 3:76 Torsen LSD's go for about $1600.00

bluelex Very Nice Al. Now lets get a pic of one of those burn outs

= Thanks Adrian, I think I am done having fun smoking tires for a while as you know the S03's are not cheap.

FutureGS400 Quote:
Originally Posted by alsilverbullet
I almost feel like I dont really need a TC but I guess time will tell.

Glad you like the LSD so much! I did this mod and agree with you that it is well worth the money spent! The TC is not cheap either, but I really feel that it is the "icing on the cake" once you have the LSD mod. These two really work together to transform the vehicle! If you get a chance to drive a car with both mods, you will have to have one (the TC that is).

= Future you are absolutely right! The TC will definately be icing on the cake and from everything I have heard the combo is awesome. I anticipate biting the bullet and getting the TC & tranny cooler in a few weeks. Thanks Again........

49IS300 I know the LSD's are very hard to find. Where did you pick one up? Or did you buy it through a classified?

= Yes the 3:76 LSD's are very hard to find and I believe Toyota has a few left bcos they have stopped production on the part. You can also check the Supra forums but make sure that if you buy one used it is a true torsen LSD with the 3:76 gears bcos there are a lot of open differentials with the 3;76 gears but without the LSD or you can always go the TRD route. I on the other hand was very fortunate to find one from a good source.

Good luck

Al
Old 06-08-05, 01:24 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

I'll send you a bill for consulting fees. Congrats and have fun man.
Old 06-08-05, 01:48 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 49IS300
I know the LSD's are very hard to find. Where did you pick one up? Or did you buy it through a classified?

Check with Todd M. at TM Engineering. That's where I got mine. Todd can do the install for you too at a very reasonable price.
Old 06-08-05, 03:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

al - congrats!!!!!

I just love not having the VSC 'nanny' kick in any more.

The TC will keep your car in the sweet spot rpms on part throttle which makes the car even better, and shifting even better too - as has been said over and over, the combo is unbeatable! Glad you're already 'committed' to doing it like a moth to a flame.
Old 06-08-05, 03:42 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

congrat on the nice mod. The only regret I have with my 3.76lsd was that I should have done the mod much sooner.
Old 06-08-05, 04:23 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Nice to have that power
Man, hearing the TC and LSD makes me want to get rid of my 300 for a 400

Quick Reply: 3:76 Torsen LSD Install