Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Resonator removal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-05 | 06:22 PM
KKRlexus
Driver

Thanks for all your replies. I think I might just replace the middle resonator with a straight pipe.
Old 06-27-05 | 07:37 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by Dx3
As I said - give me about a week and I will let you hear it

Jonny
I can't wait!!!! Sound clips!!!
Old 06-27-05 | 08:02 PM
NoS
Lexus Champion

I am planning on removing my resonators... the magnaflows sound to quiet from the outside now that I have had them for a couple weeks
Old 06-27-05 | 08:10 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Synergy has the RMM Exhaust, which is pretty mellow with no drone at any speed. They don't open up unless you jump on it and go over 3k rpm.

He removed the resonators a while back and now there is MUCH more low end grunt at a lower RPM.

Deeper ? Yes

At a lower RPM ? Yes

It is just a little louder at freeway speeds. Not ricey or "sick loud" . The biggest change is taking off from a stop light. I have the RMM exhaust with resonators and it is pretty quiet from a standstill. On Synergy's car, the deep growl comes in earlier. Sounds like a smooth sounding version of a Mustang GT type of growl. Highly refined and not raspy sounding.

Play back this video of our SF cruise meet last year. You will see the silver GS with the TTE front lip and 20" Dronells. That's Synergy's car. Note there are 3 other silver GS's so look for the one with Dronells or the TTE lip.

You can hear his car take off on a couple portions of the video clip. http://www.lexusgonewild.com/meets.shtml

Here's an exhaust clip we recorded a few years ago for further reference: http://www.lexusgonewild.com/videos.shtml

I would think any mellow exhaust is gonna sound the same.
Old 06-27-05 | 08:21 PM
nysupraman
Racer

i jus had a post on redoing my exhaust! i gutted my cat and although on a SC3, it was nice at the time. but right now the sound gets to me: too loud! at approx 45 and 75mph it is the loudest and cruising at 75 can be pretty annoying, not to mention attracting cops. so im probably gonna replace the straight pipe with a high flow cat and get rid of my resonators. i lost low end power but might have gained a little high end. anyways good luck on your exhaust!
Old 06-27-05 | 08:34 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Originally Posted by nysupraman
i jus had a post on redoing my exhaust! i gutted my cat and although on a SC3, it was nice at the time. but right now the sound gets to me: too loud! at approx 45 and 75mph it is the loudest and cruising at 75 can be pretty annoying, not to mention attracting cops. so im probably gonna replace the straight pipe with a high flow cat and get rid of my resonators. i lost low end power but might have gained a little high end. anyways good luck on your exhaust!
That will happen if you take out the cat.

Also you have an SC3, that motor will never sound as deep as a V8 and it can get raspy. An SC4 will sound a lot like a GS4 though.

If you wanna hear an SC3 or GS3 with no resonators, listen to LXOGOODs car on the exhaust competition video clip I provided. There is quite a difference on a 6 cyl motor.

Like I said, Synergy had a very mellow aftermarket exhaust with removed resonators.

Taking out the cat and doing it on the 6 cyl will yield a completely different result.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-27-05 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-28-05 | 08:40 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Synergy has the RMM Exhaust, which is pretty mellow with no drone at any speed. They don't open up unless you jump on it and go over 3k rpm.

He removed the resonators a while back and now there is MUCH more low end grunt at a lower RPM.

Deeper ? Yes

At a lower RPM ? Yes

It is just a little louder at freeway speeds. Not ricey or "sick loud" . The biggest change is taking off from a stop light. I have the RMM exhaust with resonators and it is pretty quiet from a standstill. On Synergy's car, the deep growl comes in earlier. Sounds like a smooth sounding version of a Mustang GT type of growl. Highly refined and not raspy sounding.

Play back this video of our SF cruise meet last year. You will see the silver GS with the TTE front lip and 20" Dronells. That's Synergy's car. Note there are 3 other silver GS's so look for the one with Dronells or the TTE lip.

You can hear his car take off on a couple portions of the video clip. http://www.lexusgonewild.com/meets.shtml

Here's an exhaust clip we recorded a few years ago for further reference: http://www.lexusgonewild.com/videos.shtml

I would think any mellow exhaust is gonna sound the same.
After reading your feedback and comments Glen, removing the resonators is a no-brainer and this is exactly the kind of sound I am looking for - "Sounds like a smooth sounding version of a Mustang GT type of growl. Highly refined and not raspy sounding."
Old 06-28-05 | 09:12 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
After reading your feedback and comments Glen, removing the resonators is a no-brainer and this is exactly the kind of sound I am looking for - "Sounds like a smooth sounding version of a Mustang GT type of growl. Highly refined and not raspy sounding."
so are you going to go for it ?

so that i can hear yours when your done
Old 06-28-05 | 09:44 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by LEXISM
so are you going to go for it ?

so that i can hear yours when your done
Yes definitely.
However I need to find a job first so that I can make some money and do this mod.......
Old 07-08-05 | 11:37 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

where are th sounds clips?
Old 02-22-06 | 12:11 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dx3
As I said - give me about a week and I will let you hear it

Jonny
so what happened jonny?
didnt do it after all ?

I'll be doing mine soon
Old 02-22-06 | 12:26 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by LEXISM
so what happened jonny?
didnt do it after all ?

I'll be doing mine soon
He did his a while ago!

Custom 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes from the 1st pair of cats, followed by an X-pipe (3rd cat removed), straight through to the L-tuned mufflers. (Resonators before the mufflers removed).

http://www.gs400.ca/videos/gs_exhaus...resonators.mpg

To date in my opinion the sweeetest sounding exhaust on a GS400 yet!!!!

Turn up your speakers and enjoy the show everyone!!!!
Old 02-22-06 | 12:30 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
He did his a while ago!

Custom 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes from the 1st pair of cats, followed by an X-pipe (3rd cat removed), straight through to the L-tuned mufflers. (Resonators before the mufflers removed).

http://www.gs400.ca/videos/gs_exhaus...resonators.mpg

To date in my opinion the sweeetest sounding exhaust on a GS400 yet!!!!

Turn up your speakers and enjoy the show everyone!!!!
DAMN !..missed it

sounds FREAKEN GREAT!!!

now I have to do mine..but mine will only be removing resonators

Last edited by LEXISM; 02-22-06 at 06:17 PM.