Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

New Exhaust Setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-05, 08:20 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
Hey man,

The reason I went with 2.5" pipes is because that is all he had for mandrel bending. Either 2.25" crush or 2.5 mandrel - so I went with the 2.5" mandrel.

After speaking in depth to my exhaust guy, he said that it would be more advantageous to go with an X pipe going back to duals than a Y pipe going to single and then back to Y.

Regardless, I may have lost low end, but I sure didn't notice it.

I am hoping the headers will take care of these problems.

3rd cat/resonator - lets call it restriction!!!

What's the latest on the headers? Did you receive them yet?

Jonny
Well, the important point is you are happy

First set of headers is at Jet Hot now. Once back they ship. If all goes well with install it is production time
Old 07-06-05, 08:27 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
No cats??? It must sound like a american musclecar. Will it pass emissions?
DAS, he still has the cats.
Old 07-06-05, 08:28 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrady
Well, the important point is you are happy

First set of headers is at Jet Hot now. Once back they ship. If all goes well with install it is production time
I have my deposit ready Did you ever get a final price?

Jonny
Old 07-11-05, 03:07 PM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jonny...like what you've done. I'm no expert here, but I've been thinking of doing a similar mod. We don't have the emisson testing here in FL either so I'd like to remove as much exhaust restriction as possible. Is the sound much louder at idle and neighborhood speed (< 25) with the L-tuned exhaust? I'd like to get a throaty sound similar to a new Mustang (SVT ?).

When's the magnaflows going on?
Old 07-11-05, 08:18 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bmgs400
Jonny...like what you've done. I'm no expert here, but I've been thinking of doing a similar mod. We don't have the emisson testing here in FL either so I'd like to remove as much exhaust restriction as possible. Is the sound much louder at idle and neighborhood speed (< 25) with the L-tuned exhaust? I'd like to get a throaty sound similar to a new Mustang (SVT ?).

When's the magnaflows going on?
Hey man,

Now I have the L-Tuned exhaust I sold the Magnaflows. The L-Tuned sounds great.

My car is very throaty and sounds very aggressive. This is what I am looking for but for some they may think this takes away from the luxury factor of the car.

I have been trying to find some time to make a video of the exhaust as there are about 10 people wanting to hear it. Unfortunately I am so swamped at work I haven't gotten a chance. Will let you know soon.

Peace,
Jonny
Old 07-12-05, 06:08 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Cool Jonny. Hope ya get the video w/Sound...I definitely would like to hear the sound. Have you noticed a performance increase or decrease thus far...what about gas milage. Wonder how the headers will change the sound.
Old 07-12-05, 11:59 AM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Cool Jonny. Hope ya get the video w/Sound...I definitely would like to hear the sound. Have you noticed a performance increase or decrease thus far...what about gas milage. Wonder how the headers will change the sound.
I dought there is too much performance to be gained until ALL cats are removed at least, then the crappy stock headers bottle neck as well. jbrady's headers, + no cats, custom y pipe, cat back exhaust=big power IMO.
Old 07-12-05, 12:19 PM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hollywood
I dought there is too much performance to be gained until ALL cats are removed at least, then the crappy stock headers bottle neck as well. jbrady's headers, + no cats, custom y pipe, cat back exhaust=big power IMO.
This is what I want !!!
Just not sure how to get there...what components to buy.
Old 07-12-05, 03:25 PM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

This is what I want !!!
Just not sure how to get there...what components to buy.

Well this is how I see things. I think Jbrady may be right and but I have my own personal hunch about 2.25 vs 2.5 y pipes. From personal expeiriece with nissans specifically with turbo SR20DET's to NA KA24DE's this is what I think. A SR20DET is ****ty without anything less than a 3" exhaust, so thats a 2.0L 3" single exhaust. KA's are 2.4L typically 2.5' exhaust would be used, but since the 3" turbo exhausts fit the the 240 sr20det and the ka24de people used them. It made it a lot louder for them but power gains were made from using the 3".

Now as hypothetically speaking here is my analysis;

Im going to use the KA as an example so it's NA to NA.

So 2.4L 155hp, 160tq x 2 = 4.8L 310hp, 320tq. This is pretty close to ours 4.3L 300hp, 325tq /2 =2.15L engines 150hp, 162.5tq.

Now if the single KA made increases with the 3" cat back x2 would equal 6" of exhaust 3" for each Y. So this is part of the reasoning that the 2.5" Y pipes for our cars would be bennificail as that is a total of 5" of exhaust over 2.25 which would be a total of 4.5". Plus with our VVT-I which is quite aggressive I'm thinking the benifits of the 2.5L would show in the upper RPM's.

But all that is theory, but I cant imagine upgrading my 2.15L to a single 2.25" exhaust, I would have picked a 2.5".