Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Has Anyone run the 3.76 Gears without LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-05, 02:33 AM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has Anyone run the 3.76 Gears without LSD?

Has anyone here tryed runing the 3.76 punpkin unit without useing the LSD on a GS430?
Old 07-10-05, 09:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Originally Posted by LasVegasGS
Has anyone here tryed runing the 3.76 punpkin unit without useing the LSD on a GS430?
What's the point? You'll just be spinning one wheel very easily.
Old 07-10-05, 06:11 PM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

Well I hear when people change to 3.76 gears they always get an LSD. But I was wondering what the result would be with just changeing to 3.76 gears without an LSD since our cars dont have an LSD to start off with I didnt think it would be that bad.
Old 07-10-05, 07:35 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Well I hear when people change to 3.76 gears they always get an LSD. But I was wondering what the result would be with just changeing to 3.76 gears without an LSD since our cars dont have an LSD to start off with I didnt think it would be that bad.
I agree with Bitkahuna-the gain of the Torsen LSD is essential to making the most of the lower gearing (3.76). I believe there were some Supra models that came with the 3.76 gears but without the Torsen LSD so it is possible to do it I suppose. I wouldn't recommend it though...
Old 07-10-05, 10:21 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I don't think it would be horrible at all. I've had Mustangs with 3.73's and 4.10's and as long as you have it pointed straight, it's no big deal. Mustangs do not have LSD. However, if you liked driving aggressively in the curves, you might have an issue. But for those of us that live in the Midwest where it's flat as a pancake and straight as an arrow, I think it would be OK...

On a seperate note, I've heard the LSD screws up the VSC a touch in the snow in that it doesn't detect that one wheel is spinning (since it can't because of the LSD) and that a spin can happen rather quickly and unexpectedly. FOr those in rthe snow belt, that might be reason to avoid the LSD. Can anyone comment on this??
Old 07-10-05, 11:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Originally Posted by RRocket
I don't think it would be horrible at all. I've had Mustangs with 3.73's and 4.10's and as long as you have it pointed straight, it's no big deal. Mustangs do not have LSD.
The difference with a Mustang is it doesn't have VSC.

With the TC upgrade I got sick and tired of the VSC kicking in so often. With lower final gearing VSC is gonna kick in on any turn taken at any acceleration more than very gentle which will get old fast.

Just my $0.02... I could be wrong.
Old 07-11-05, 12:05 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't think it would be horrible at all. I've had Mustangs with 3.73's and 4.10's and as long as you have it pointed straight, it's no big deal. Mustangs do not have LSD. However, if you liked driving aggressively in the curves, you might have an issue. But for those of us that live in the Midwest where it's flat as a pancake and straight as an arrow, I think it would be OK...

On a seperate note, I've heard the LSD screws up the VSC a touch in the snow in that it doesn't detect that one wheel is spinning (since it can't because of the LSD) and that a spin can happen rather quickly and unexpectedly. FOr those in rthe snow belt, that might be reason to avoid the LSD. Can anyone comment on this??
Actually all Mustang GTs since 1985 had limited slip. They did not have torsen diffs but they did have clutch type LSDs.

A differential powers BOTH tires unless one looses traction and then all the torque goes to the side without traction. Once rolling in a straight line it doesn't matter if you have LSD or not. A torsen LSD is very helpful for maximum power in a tight turn. Clutch type LSDs can actually make tight turns trickier to negotiate than an open diff.

All in all an open 3.77 (3.769) diff would help acceleration and make the car quicker vs the stock 3.266 ratio.

There were MANY Supra TT Automatics built in 1997-98 that did not have the torsen... ask me how I know
Old 07-11-05, 01:11 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

To me, the ability to really put power down out of a turn makes the Torsen diff the way to go. I can still engage VSC if I REALLY get on the throttle hard in a tight turn, but it is unusual. The Torsen LSD combined with the lower gears is well worth the investment IMO. If you only have available the 3.76 ratio gears without the LSD, it would be better than nothing though I guess...
Old 07-11-05, 01:13 AM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

Looks like i'll be the first to give it a try what the hell I can always add an LSD or change my old gears back into place.
Old 07-11-05, 11:48 AM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

I think im gonna try the 3.92 without lsd, im not worried about the back end with or without vsc.
Old 07-11-05, 02:05 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Few years back Banana GS ran the 3.76 non-Torsen, threads below. As a few others have mentioned, still better than the stock gearing. And if you can get it for dirt cheap...

Banana GS and non-Torsen 3.76, Part One

Banana GS and non-Torsen 3.76, Part Two
Old 07-11-05, 07:05 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking 3.76 LSD in snow

I've heard the LSD screws up the VSC a touch in the snow in that it doesn't detect that one wheel is spinning (since it can't because of the LSD) and that a spin can happen rather quickly and unexpectedly. FOr those in rthe snow belt, that might be reason to avoid the LSD. Can anyone comment on this??
I live up in Seattle Washington and have some experience with this.

Right after I got my 3.76 LSD, we had our worst snow and ice storm in 5 years. First we got the ice and then about 6 inchs of snow on top of it. Just before the storm hit I put on my Blizzak snow and ice tires. I have to tell you I live on a very steep hill that is difficult to walk up if there is ice or snow. It gains about 100 feet elevation in a block. I went out right after the ice part hit and drove all over the place looking for some conditions that would stop my GS400. Couldn't find anything and even went up my hill in front of the house. The next day is when it snowed and I went out again to put the LSD and the Blizzak's to the test. Again went everywhere I wanted, and there are very few flat spots around here. I even intentionally stopped on hills and started up again. The best moment was when I came home. All these kids and adults were riding saucers down the hill in front of my house. They were so shocked when I started up the hill that I would even try it, and even more shocked when I got up to the top.

I was nervous about the LSD in the snow but after getting it I think it even increases the amount of traction.

Count me as convinced that LSD and Blizzak = a good time.

I would recomend putting the car in snow mode on the steep hill. Not necessary on the flats. And leave your VSC on, as it does work and it can save you and your car from bad things.

If you live where it snows get a spare set of 16" wheels and mount some really good snow and ice tires and you will be amazed how good these cars go in the snow.

Snow is fun

Ivan
3dog

Last edited by 3dog; 07-11-05 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-11-05, 09:58 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrady
Actually all Mustang GTs since 1985 had limited slip. They did not have torsen diffs but they did have clutch type LSDs.

Yea..they weren't a true LSD though (called Posi-Lok). Only one wheel would spin if you were going around a curve. And if the car was off the ground and you spun one wheel, the other wheel would spin in the opposite directions. You had to be sure you were pointed straight, or it was a smoke show...just like our GS...
Old 07-14-05, 07:54 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea..they weren't a true LSD though (called Posi-Lok). Only one wheel would spin if you were going around a curve. And if the car was off the ground and you spun one wheel, the other wheel would spin in the opposite directions. You had to be sure you were pointed straight, or it was a smoke show...just like our GS...
limited slip rear in 5.0 mustangs was posi as long as you were going straight or close to it. I had an 8.8 inch rear end with 3.73 gears and a 5speed with a 300 HP GT-40 crate motor.(ran 12.80s on the motor btw ) It would act as posi in the turns to a certain extent. much more aggressive than the stock GS open diff.
Old 07-15-05, 12:34 AM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

Will a Torsen LSD from a Pre 92 Supra work? Or only 92+ ?

Quick Reply: Has Anyone run the 3.76 Gears without LSD?