Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Lms cold air intake. was looking around on the carson site and seen this.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-05 | 01:25 PM
suge66
Pole Position

Default Lms cold air intake. was looking around on the carson site and seen this.

Noticed most cl members have the srt intake, and a few have a injen intake. Now that i have some xtra money, i was looking into purchasing one. Looked at the carson web site and seen the lms and it looks pretty good. My question is why there isnt members that have this intake. Is there a problem with it?
Old 07-19-05 | 02:15 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

I was also checking it out and I called LMS and they told me that they don't recommend it 98-00 GS because of fitment issues.
Old 07-19-05 | 02:31 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

and srt intake makes the most power specially with the help of the race ECU... it is the best intake you can get without any FI.
Old 07-19-05 | 03:29 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

i have one and it works just fine. you have to cut a hole behind the passenger side headlight to get the pipe down there but its not that bad. takes a little elbow grease.
Old 07-19-05 | 05:53 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

I think most ppl are not willing to drill a hole (im guessing 3+ inches) into the body to fit the intake tubing through....but the concept is not new....get cold air from behind the bumper...away from engine heated air. Has LMW's intake ever been dyno'd?

pete
Old 07-19-05 | 08:18 PM
suge66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ILOVEGIRLS
i have one and it works just fine. you have to cut a hole behind the passenger side headlight to get the pipe down there but its not that bad. takes a little elbow grease.
So you have no problems with this intake? Drilling the hole is not a problem, just want to know if it works, do you feel a change in speed, idle and gas miles? Have you sucked in any water with the intake being behind the wheel? Don't mean to ask so many questions, but just want to get the best for the money i have to spend.
Old 07-19-05 | 09:50 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

I'm just wondering how would you do it to make a 5" or so hole.
Old 07-19-05 | 10:02 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

I haven't looked at this yet for the GS, but i wouldn't recommend cold air intakes. What measures have been taken to prevent water from getting sucked in ?

My friend brought an AEM cold air intake and recently sucked up some water. Say hello to a 2000 dollar repair bill.

Maybe if i lived in a dry city i would consider it.
Old 07-19-05 | 10:48 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1niceride
I haven't looked at this yet for the GS, but i wouldn't recommend cold air intakes. What measures have been taken to prevent water from getting sucked in ?

My friend brought an AEM cold air intake and recently sucked up some water. Say hello to a 2000 dollar repair bill.

Maybe if i lived in a dry city i would consider it.
AEM does make a bypass valve for their cold air intakes to prevent hydro lock (sucking water into the engine). I had one on my Accord... worth having IMO to prevent expensive damage.
Old 07-20-05 | 12:45 AM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Originally Posted by suge66
So you have no problems with this intake? Drilling the hole is not a problem, just want to know if it works, do you feel a change in speed, idle and gas miles? Have you sucked in any water with the intake being behind the wheel? Don't mean to ask so many questions, but just want to get the best for the money i have to spend.
i have no problems with the intake. idles like normal, the car sounds much better AWOL. i dont know about gas because i just fill up and drive. it seems much more responsive...LMS i think had dynoed an IS and it made 9 hp or soemthing like that. i drove it in the rain here when it was pretty rainy and i havent sucked up any water. i didnt drive through lakes or streams or anything. the filter sits behind the bumper and is cover by the wheel well. the hole i drilled was 3.25" using a hole saw i got from home depot.

i bought this from LMS unpolished with no bling. i just painted it black and was happy. i dont have time to up keep in my engine bay. i had polished and chrome parts before and it was just a b*tch to have to keep them looking like new.

i may sell this LMS intake is anyone is interested. 185 shipped to the first person that is serious and pm's me. i do take paypal. thanks
Old 07-20-05 | 05:46 PM
suge66
Pole Position

What all comes with this? Heat sheild, piping and screws and can i opt not to drill the hole and make it just stay in the eng bay?
Old 07-20-05 | 05:53 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

there is no heat shield that comes with the intake since it is a true cold air system. there are no screws since you dont screw it on to anything and cannot use it without drilling the hole for the intake to go downward behind the engine bay. if you cut the piping to make it a short intake i suppose you can use it in the engine bay. btw this is for a 2000 GS.

Originally Posted by suge66
What all comes with this? Heat sheild, piping and screws and can i opt not to drill the hole and make it just stay in the eng bay?
Old 07-21-05 | 04:45 PM
edgy
Lead Lap

Hmmm
i wonder where yer buddy was driving or how that intake was set up to ingest so much water to toast hte motor...

unless you are driving thru a lake & the intake inlet is actually submerged or gets a fire hose type direct blast of water onto the filter... there is very little chance of you suckign up enough volume of water from rain driving to Hydrolock the intake & thus the motor..... if you DO drive thru DEEP puddles often in your very wet climate then as mentioned the AEM bypass valve will precvent any problems with potential hydro lock or water ingestion above a normal level in rain...

he LMS unit is a really nice intake for NOT alot of money. It produces 75-80% of the power an SRT does on average .. with just a 2-4 hp difference while it costs much less than half of SRT retail.. PLUIS if you ever upgrade to a Supercharger this intake will become part of that unit & save you $$ on the upgrade and you wont have to worry about sellig ti off cause it wont work with your SC...

I would buy one & run it &then when i was needing a bit more push get an SAFC & tune it to the intake & see how good you do.

I believe an LMW Cold Air intake is just as effective & powerful as the SRT when combined with an SAFC & proper tuning. & you STILL could spend about 100 bux less...

Old 07-23-05 | 09:12 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

My friend lives on the gulf coast. The streets were flooding from hurricane Dennis. I told him awhile back to never drive it in weather like that, but he never listens. The bypass was brought, but he never had time to install it.

He calls me the next day and tells me his car is making loud noises and is smoking. Took it to the dealer and they say his motor is focked.

I don't think the hp gain is worth it. Do you think you can feel 5 or whatever it is hp? I would rather use that money towards suspension stuff or forced induction.

It's your money, spend it how you like though.
Old 07-24-05 | 03:22 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

200 bucks for an intake is not bad. this is a simple upgrade for those in "better" weather or those who know not to drive in severe weather. as far as hp gains, i can only tell you that the car was more responsive. sorry, my butt dyno couldnt give me a read out on the hp gained. your friend that drove the car after a hurricane should have known better. it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that your filter may be submerged in water if you drive into a lake or whatever great body of water.