Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Hitting Rev Limiter

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-05, 05:32 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Hitting Rev Limiter

Guys,

Car is a 98 GS400 with TC, LSD, exhaust and SRT Intake. When at WOT on my shift between 1st and 2nd gear I always thought that I had some type of back pressure problem or exhaust leak. It felt like some type of lag. After reading previous posts I have concluded that I think I am hitting my rev limiter because of the LSD. It only happens at WOT going from 1st to 2nd, but no other gears.

It kinds sucks because I want to bring the car to the track for a 1/4 time, but either I have to lay off the gas when I am getting to gear change, or else suffer the lag of the limiter hitting.

Is there anyway around this?

Jonny
Old 07-24-05, 08:03 PM
GreddyEddy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you try to switch the power mode off?
Old 07-24-05, 08:46 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GreddyEddy
Did you try to switch the power mode off?
Would that not slow me down?

Jonny
Old 07-25-05, 12:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

umm that's weird. i have heard about the rev limiter problem on FI cars, but on NA cars, i am surprised that it's a problem. my gs4 with tc and lsd i don't have that problem, the car still shifts pretty smooth from 1st to 2nd
Old 07-25-05, 05:10 PM
GreddyEddy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dx3
Would that not slow me down?

Jonny
The pwr button only holds it in gear longer . But i bet your losing alot of time hitting that limiter.
What have you gotta lose. Just see does it hit the limiter?
Old 07-25-05, 05:24 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the LSD but no TC on my 430. I do not hit the limiter in normal or power mode. Are you e-shifting or do you just leave it in drive?
Old 07-25-05, 05:32 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dx3
Guys,

Car is a 98 GS400 with TC, LSD, exhaust and SRT Intake. When at WOT on my shift between 1st and 2nd gear I always thought that I had some type of back pressure problem or exhaust leak. It felt like some type of lag. After reading previous posts I have concluded that I think I am hitting my rev limiter because of the LSD. It only happens at WOT going from 1st to 2nd, but no other gears.

It kinds sucks because I want to bring the car to the track for a 1/4 time, but either I have to lay off the gas when I am getting to gear change, or else suffer the lag of the limiter hitting.

Jonny
I haven't had that happen on my car that I've ever noticed. You might try installing a shift kit (valve body upgrade etc.) I know I've read some threads that discussed the benefits and if your car is shifting a bit slowly, that might help. Would also help your overall performance with crisper shifts too! I am just beginning to investigate this mod for my car...
Old 07-25-05, 07:17 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FutureGS400
I haven't had that happen on my car that I've ever noticed. You might try installing a shift kit (valve body upgrade etc.) I know I've read some threads that discussed the benefits and if your car is shifting a bit slowly, that might help. Would also help your overall performance with crisper shifts too! I am just beginning to investigate this mod for my car...
Tell me more - how, where, how much, install?

Jonny
Old 07-25-05, 08:28 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

for valve body check out
level 10, SRT or PFS
Old 07-25-05, 08:45 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Morris,

Do u think this will help my problem?

SRT has them for $595.

My car shifts beautifully in every gear so I am not 100% sure this would help

Jonny
Old 07-25-05, 09:02 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Similar to you there are a few folks over the years that have had problems hitting the rev limiter with both the PI TC @ 2800 and RMM or Supra TT 3.76 LSD. Those that have either lived with it or took out the LSD.

There are more people that have both that have no issues with banging on the rev limiter than those that have. . Lowering the stall speed might help if you do have the problem (it did for my car under different circumstances due to FI).... if you have a PI TC you get one stall change free, but of course you still have the labor of taking it in / out. You might also try switching to Amsoil synthetic ATF for your GS. I did both and helped fix my rev limiter problem.
Old 07-26-05, 09:53 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Its hard to tell ilf the VB will do the job for you, I havent heard of too many NA guys havning issues with Rev limiter issues
Old 07-31-05, 06:06 PM
daleer
Pole Position

Can you add amsoil synthetic atf 2 quarts at a time when you drain the pan (does it mix OK with toyota type iv) or do you have to change out all the fluid when you go to amsoil?

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Similar to you there are a few folks over the years that have had problems hitting the rev limiter with both the PI TC @ 2800 and RMM or Supra TT 3.76 LSD. Those that have either lived with it or took out the LSD.

There are more people that have both that have no issues with banging on the rev limiter than those that have. . Lowering the stall speed might help if you do have the problem (it did for my car under different circumstances due to FI).... if you have a PI TC you get one stall change free, but of course you still have the labor of taking it in / out. You might also try switching to Amsoil synthetic ATF for your GS. I did both and helped fix my rev limiter problem.
Old 08-01-05, 10:01 AM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the LSD and PI TC combo and do not have any problems whatsoever. Under WOT the rpms get up there but shift right before the red line. A while back I had a similar incident where under WOT my car would make this air leaking sound from the engine bay which sounded similar to an exhaust leak only to find out that my RMM intake airflow meter gasket had a leak bcos it was not seated properly. This would only happen under WOT. You may want to double check the gasket to make sure that it is properly sealed. I ended up putting in a thicker gasket which took care of the problem

Good luck
Old 08-01-05, 11:27 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dx3
Guys,

Jonny
I have the same setup and the same problem - but I also hit it during the 2-3 shift as well. I'm still thinking clogged cats or some sort of fuel delivery problem.

I also had the same issue when I had the K&N FIPK and the ATS LSD (stock gearing). Really kills the 1/4 time and trap speed.

Quick Reply: Hitting Rev Limiter