Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Still need exhaust selection help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-05, 01:28 PM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Still need exhaust selection help.

I just bought a '99 GS 400 and want to buy an exhaust. My priorities are as follows:

1. Trying to get a deep throaty V8 growl when I get on it but hoping for a relatively quiet cabin when cruising around at 1500-3000 rpm. I am not concerned with additional performance (300 HP will be plenty for me). I don't want a roar or constant droning when simply cruising along at highway speed.

2. I prefer a look that looks classy but does not show a big can underneath or have tips protruding too far out .... similar to the stock look is ok with me.

3. Ease of installation would be great......I don't want to risk screwing something up just for the sound. The Borla crummy hangars concern me but I don't know if they are really a problem or not.

I was considering the SRT intake. I was told that I would probably get an extra mile per gallon with the intake. If I can get more power and better mileage along with it then it would be a nobrainer. Is this true? Are any other intakes worth considering that would be less expensive?

Glad to have found this site and ready to get my car back (currently getting it painted by a guy that does a lot of work for some of the country stars around here ... I know he has done a lot for Alan Jackson).
Old 08-02-05, 01:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

about the exhaust, you have a gs400 and pretty much all the exhaust will have that dronnig at around 2000rpm. some has less but still you get them. borla seems to be what you want.

and srt intake? i would say think twice. if you get the intake then i dont' think you have to worry much about the exhaust, coz' the instake is so loud
Old 08-02-05, 02:29 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
about the exhaust, you have a gs400 and pretty much all the exhaust will have that dronnig at around 2000rpm. some has less but still you get them. borla seems to be what you want.

and srt intake? i would say think twice. if you get the intake then i dont' think you have to worry much about the exhaust, coz' the instake is so loud
Henry is right - you are generally going to have a drone at these rpms regardless of which you choose.

The SRT intake is loud - but it is a different kind of loud. It whistles at low RPM's and then when u get on it it sounds pretty mean. I love how it sounds

Jonny
Old 08-03-05, 03:24 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice. I think I will just get the exhaust first and see how I like it. I am going to wait on the intake until I can find someone that has one and take a ride to check it out....I am not sure I what I want at this point.
Old 08-04-05, 11:20 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Well I ordered an HKS Hi Power Exhaust today for $590 shipped to my office. After searching and reading countless posts I decided the HKS seems to be what I am looking for based upon what several CL members have said. My only reservation could possibly be more cabin noise than I prefer at the 1000-2500 rpm range but I don't expect it to be too bad unless I get on it a little bit. Time will tell.....
Old 12-17-05, 07:27 AM
koufax3232
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust

How did you like the exhaust??? Is it too loud ...........I am considering the same ....thyx