Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

98 GS400- rebirth

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-05, 08:27 PM
podstar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 GS400- rebirth

On the verge of trading in my much beloved 1998 GS400 in on a 2003 M5 my wife talked some sense into me. Outside of the recent air conditioning issue that spurred the bug to buy a new car, she asked- "have you ever complained about that car, once?" I had to think long and hard about it. But considering the the maintenance I know comes along with the M3, and the thought of picking up a payment after years of spending it on tires for the bike- I decided to spend some time and money fixing her (the GS400, not the wife) up. And I have been reading this board for a while, so I thought I'd get some thoughts.

It's a 1998 GS400, bone stock, 44,000 miles white ext tan interior.

In order that they have my attention:

(no question) Engine mods: Really scared to get into anything besides bolt-on mods given how rock-solid reliable the car has been. Depending on how my rebirth goes, I may want to look at getting a turbo or something absurd...I've searched the forum here and found nothing but great information and know exactly what I'm going to do.

#1 Wheels: I really REALLY like the wheels at this URL
http://www.unitedwheel.com/images/wh...Line/UW10B.jpg in 20X8. I know they will FIT but not sure how they will look. Are 20" wheels freakish on a GS? I cant say I've ever seen one, def not in black on a white car. Seems as though you can get them, wrapped in good rubber, for about $2000. #1 on my "wish list"

#2 Suspension: Not sure but the car has always, since it was new "wallowed" in the corners. For such a mean-streak motor the suspension was a far shot behind. I want to keep it street friendly but stiff up the front and tighten the back end- I sure would like the car to not roll like a drunken whale when I turn the VSC off. Wouldn't have a problem spending good money on the whole springs/shocks/sway bars- but what's a good package?

#3 A/V: No question here: Pioneer Avic N-1. Navigation, DVD player (you can override the parking brake switch) XM. Nice Amp.

#4 (but way down there) Bodywork, airdams, skirts: Is this a situation where it's just "how it looks" or are there any stand-out quality champs? I've seen them all over the map on price ($400-2500) and the only place that seems to have any information on them are folks selling them, and they don't have much bad to say about the product they are trying to sell... Any materials best? ABS, other plastic, composite, fiberglass?

#87. caliper paint. Suggestions for high temp paint?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

I'm glad I'm enthused about this car again, I really do love the car and pretty stoked I made the decision to spend the money on fixing it up.

thanks for your time it seems to be at a premium these days from folks who have good information to share.
Old 08-04-05, 08:55 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great list and welcome to CL

im going to read it again and edit my Post

those wheels im going to say

but in december there is a new wheel coming out from a great company enuff said

it looks very much like that

Last edited by GTFM; 08-04-05 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-04-05, 09:01 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WELCOME it seems to me like your off to a great start
Old 08-04-05, 09:25 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Congratulations on your decision to begin the modding and on your transition from a lurker to posting here! If you do a search you will find some threads on what others have done and how they rate the outcomes of the mods they have undertaken. The beauty of this whole process is the opportunity to express your individuality and pursue whatever path suits your taste. You get to decide what is relevant and worthwhile and what isn't. Whether its appearance, performance, convenience etc. From the age and mileage on the car, I would guess that this car is not a daily driver as you only average about 6,000 miles a year. Do you want to do everything at once or will you proceed step-wise through the process. Depends on available funding and alternate transportation while project is underway. I would suggest stuctural/mechanical mods first followed by cosmetics (body kit or new upolstery) after the dirty stuff is done. Use the search function, there are many useful threads with extensive discussions about handling , suspension, brakes, tires, wheels and everything in between.
Old 08-04-05, 09:33 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the decision.
Originally Posted by podstar
#1 Wheels: I really REALLY like the wheels at this URL
http://www.unitedwheel.com/images/wh...Line/UW10B.jpg in 20X8. I know they will FIT but not sure how they will look. Are 20" wheels freakish on a GS? I cant say I've ever seen one, def not in black on a white car. Seems as though you can get them, wrapped in good rubber, for about $2000. #1 on my "wish list"
Wheels are very personal so if you like these, then there are similar styles for the GS (unless UWC makes ones that have Lexus bolt pattern and offsets.

#2 Suspension: Not sure but the car has always, since it was new "wallowed" in the corners. For such a mean-streak motor the suspension was a far shot behind. I want to keep it street friendly but stiff up the front and tighten the back end- I sure would like the car to not roll like a drunken whale when I turn the VSC off. Wouldn't have a problem spending good money on the whole springs/shocks/sway bars- but what's a good package?
I would say Tein CS coilovers and Daizen Swaybars are a good way to start. You can add more bracing later but this would be the first step.

#4 (but way down there) Bodywork, airdams, skirts: Is this a situation where it's just "how it looks" or are there any stand-out quality champs? I've seen them all over the map on price ($400-2500) and the only place that seems to have any information on them are folks selling them, and they don't have much bad to say about the product they are trying to sell... Any materials best? ABS, other plastic, composite, fiberglass?
Actually, pricing can go up even more. What is your budget (before paint)? Do you want lip kits or full replacement? Do you want one full kit from the same company or is mix and match OK?

#87. caliper paint. Suggestions for high temp paint?
There are two kinds: spray and brush on. The Duplicolor from Walmart/Kragen/... is fine for spray. They also have the VHT pain. I think there are a few write up on painting with a spray. For example, on here: http://lexusmodz.netfirms.com/

There is also the brush on variety like Folia-Tec and G2. I think there are writeups on CL for this too.

Oh, and Welcome to CL. Good luck with the mods.
Old 08-05-05, 06:46 AM
podstar
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=DetMich1]From the age and mileage on the car, I would guess that this car is not a daily driver as you only average about 6,000 miles a year. Do you want to do everything at once or will you proceed step-wise through the process. Depends on available funding and alternate transportation while project is underway. QUOTE]

I'm not real good with the quote function but no, it's not a daily driver. Most of the time, the car has been used for out of town trips, and when we had to stuff more than 3 people in a car. Got a baby girl on the way now, and I really want a bigger car to be my primary.

The car is going to stay in the garage during the stages, and I had not thought about it, but probably best to do the mechanicals first. Great input guys.

So in order, my project will be: Bolt-on motor mods. Suspension. Wheels. Avic N-1. Then everything else. I really still cringe at the thought of modifying the bodywork- the Aero kits are nice looking but something about that seems really pivotal, like you can't go back.

Neo they do make the wheels for the Lexus bolt pattern and 38mm offset, which should not cause any rubbing or problems with a 235/45/20.

Tein sounds like the way to go, everything I've heard about them is positive.

Budget? Really no budget. I know that most of the mods are personal, and as such will not add or detract from the value of the car in substantial ways. But I don't want to spend money on stuff that adds NO value or detracts a LOT. For example, I don't have problems spending $3000 on something if when I sell it will bring me only $2500 back. But if I spend $1000 on something and it makes the car worth $500 less then clearly I'm not interested in that. I'll lose money to have it personal, but the "Value" that the mods bring to me, personally, have to make sense. The money I'm saving on interest alone on a $50,000 M5 is enough to keep the wifey at bay for at least long enough to get the important stuff done. :-)

I guess the main thing I need to know now is how suspension interacts with the 20" wheels interacts with the full body kit. Does anyone have a resource that gives me a background understanding of this?

Joe
1998 GS400 44,000 miles. Bone Stock. Air conditioner is busted.
Old 08-05-05, 09:05 AM
podstar
Driver School Candidate

Default option

Well very interesting option just came along. I dropped the GS off at the dealer this morning to get the AC evaporator fixed and I noticed a white GS400 sitting on jack stands in the back. After some inquiring I found out that the car was a trade-in and it had been on a test drive when someone took it over a curb and into a traffic control light box.

Which really was not that interesting, until the used car manager told me that they were going to wholesale it to a salvage operation. I offered him $4000 for the car, strictly as is and he said "done!" Shook my hand, took my Visa and now I own 2! WOW!

It's a 99, White GS400 with ~75,000 miles. It has a LOT more options (nav, heated seats, etc etc) the title is not salvage, as the dealer's "lot" insurance covered the damage.

But the really cool part is the damage is mostly stuff that I was going to change anyway- front bumper, lower rockers, wheels (three of them are bent or damaged beyond repair) rear bumper cover. There is almost no damage to the sheet metal at all- maybe a dollar-bill sized dent just aft of the front bumper. The spoiler got ripped off and so I assume the trunk lid is going to have to be replaced or repaired. It looks REALLY ugly when you look at it, because the whole car looks trashed- but the reality is the car is straight and it is a perfect canvas (especially at that price) for a true monster to be built on.

the only things that are broken that I had not planned on upgrading anyway are:
1) Windshield is broken all the way through
2) Rear trunk deck
3) sheetmetal work
4) left headlight housing AWOL
5) left radiator mounts are questionable, so a new radiator is going to be in order soon.
6) Left A-arm (I assume it's an A-arm)
that's it.

this is so cool, I'll post up pics of the car when I go to pick it up on Saturday. What's really funny about it is that the AC was $2000 to fix on the 98. I'm only spending $2000 more, plus tax, on a whole 99!
Old 08-05-05, 10:29 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cool, keep it going !!!
Old 08-07-05, 06:19 PM
podstar
Driver School Candidate

Default picked it up

worth every penny. Going to finish tearing off the bad parts today- right now it's sitting on some old-school Camry steel wheels. The A-arm was not broken, it was the lower ball joint? or something- we have new A-arms and ball joints and seals coming already, everything else is good. Really debating doing the $$$ stuff now (turbo, supercharger or other such thing) but don't really have the time to research it. Looks like the turbo is a VERY in-depth very custom modification, there are no bolt-ons like a Civic or something. Supercharger be easier possibly? DEcisions decisions. Just glad to have it!
Old 08-07-05, 06:38 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

welcome to the club

nice buy on the wrecked GS

so whta part of TX are you from?
Old 08-07-05, 08:13 PM
podstar
Driver School Candidate

From Austin. Live out in Lakeway. The car is stripped now. I can't believe how clean the car is besides being smashed up. :-) Interior is clean clean clean. I have to say, the thought of doing a Turbo is really daunting. I have been given the okay on the mods from the wifey. :-) But it's just making all the pieces work.
Old 08-07-05, 08:36 PM
podstar
Driver School Candidate

Default Turbo

After talking with some folks from the board and reading through old posts about the Turbo- I really don't think that's the right way to go for me. I don't have the technical ability or knowledge of so many things I would need to make it work, as a project at the shop. I may still entertain paying an engine builder to tear the motor apart, and build it back up as a turbo with the right conrods, pistons etc. But for now, it's going to be on the back burner. Back to bolt-ons I guess.
Old 08-08-05, 05:03 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

After talking with some folks from the board and reading through old posts about the Turbo- I really don't think that's the right way to go for me. I don't have the technical ability or knowledge of so many things I would need to make it work, as a project at the shop. I may still entertain paying an engine builder to tear the motor apart, and build it back up as a turbo with the right conrods, pistons etc. But for now, it's going to be on the back burner. Back to bolt-ons I guess.
Still, that GS400 should be looked at as a giveaway. That is truly a "Diamond In The Rough". Enjoy that project. You'll be so excited to work on it, you'll have that baby running and looking showroom condition by before Labor Day.
Old 08-08-05, 11:42 AM
podstar
Driver School Candidate

Default Jewel

yeah it really is. After spending a lot of time with it over the last few days I decided I am going to take a vacation starting on Thursday and really hit this project hard. I would love to have the time to dedicate to learning about forced induction systems, but I just don't think it's in the cards. Are there any bolt-on mods like a TRD supercharger? I had one on an old 4runner (like a 2000 model I believe) and it really increased the response down low. Surely someone has a $5000 system ready to bolt on for an impatient buyer like myself?
Old 08-11-05, 03:56 PM
podstar
Driver School Candidate

Default new wheels

Okay so I couldn't control myself and I went ahead and ordered up a set of wheels for the 98. I'll likely put them on the 99 when it is done. I think it needs to be lowered about 1" or so.

Drive quality is markedly worse- quite a bit rougher and I think I have the wheels on the wrong side. : I'll get them fixed up tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails 98 GS400- rebirth-lexwheels2.jpg  

Quick Reply: 98 GS400- rebirth