Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is LSD neede for a FI gs3?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-05, 01:34 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is LSD neede for a FI gs3?

I'm new to this part But does a GS3 thats FI'd need an LSD to have both rear wheels burn at the same time or grab at the same time? I was watching a video of some turbo and sc'd gs3 they all burned and spun one wheel instead of both like a 400 with the lsd. Will someone doing FI to a gs3 need to do this?
Old 08-11-05, 01:37 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

If you push enough HP, a LSD will definitely help you get traction and better launches.... (or burn both tires instead of one if that's what you want )
Old 08-11-05, 01:40 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's good to have but you dont "need" it.

I wouldnt want to peel out on expensive tires anyways

and like dave said. Good to have if you have traction problem
Old 08-11-05, 01:42 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

lsd works well with turbo applications esp while cornering and going into boost mode . it will help keep traction and keep things under control
Old 08-11-05, 02:26 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Trust me Tires aren't looking to get burnt, I just meant for traction reasons. I know the 400 guys do this a lot and just wondored if the gear ratio is different on 300's to where we don't need it or it would help if we did it.?
Old 08-11-05, 02:27 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikal
It's good to have but you dont "need" it.

I wouldnt want to peel out on expensive tires anyways

and like dave said. Good to have if you have traction problem
Do you feel that when you really step on it you have total control of the car? or does it spin out in the rear a little if you were to really slam it from a dead stop?

I want to hear what the gs3 fi guys are doing in this case?
Old 08-11-05, 02:31 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not FI expert, but wasnt there a few guys that had 3.76 gears LSD that installed RMM S/C and had to take the LSD out due to rev-limiter issues? (ie. always hitting it). Of course this is due to the shorter gearing, not LSD, I was just posting as more of a FYI in case bluelex is thinking of picking up a RMM.
Old 08-11-05, 02:33 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelex
Trust me Tires aren't looking to get burnt, I just meant for traction reasons. I know the 400 guys do this a lot and just wondored if the gear ratio is different on 300's to where we don't need it or it would help if we did it.?
A - the OEM gear ration of the GS300 (3.9x) is such that you need it MORE than the GS400 guys when you add more HP. You're much more prone to 'burn one wheel' than the GS400 guys with their 3.23 OEM gearing.

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
I'm not FI expert, but wasnt there a few guys that had 3.76 gears LSD that installed RMM S/C and had to take the LSD out due to rev-limiter issues? (ie. always hitting it). Of course this is due to the shorter gearing, not LSD, I was just posting as more of a FYI in case bluelex is thinking of picking up a RMM.
If I were him I'd start with the TRD LSD in his gearbox and see if he has problems, then back down the gearing and/or lower the stall in his TC.
Old 08-11-05, 02:40 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Do you feel that when you really step on it you have total control of the car? or does it spin out in the rear a little if you were to really slam it from a dead stop?

I want to hear what the gs3 fi guys are doing in this case?

When i floor it, i have total control of the car. Dont notice it pulling to the side or anything. I havent been able to spin my tires yet. (Probabaly cuz of the 20's? )

I'm not producing enough HP to be needing LSD for now. For us GS3 Guys, we would probabaly need to drop in the TRD LSD instead of changing out the whole pumpkin
Old 08-11-05, 02:58 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
A - the OEM gear ration of the GS300 (3.9x) is such that you need it MORE than the GS400 guys when you add more HP. You're much more prone to 'burn one wheel' than the GS400 guys with their 3.23 OEM gearing.

If I were him I'd start with the TRD LSD in his gearbox and see if he has problems, then back down the gearing and/or lower the stall in his TC.
ah..TRD makes something for the gs3. so this is a good starter option< what does the TRD go for usually $ ?
Old 08-11-05, 03:00 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

When i floor it, i have total control of the car. Dont notice it pulling to the side or anything. I havent been able to spin my tires yet. (Probabaly cuz of the 20's? )

I'm not producing enough HP to be needing LSD for now. For us GS3 Guys, we would probabaly need to drop in the TRD LSD instead of changing out the whole pumpkin
You know thats a good point, the videos I saw the guys had 18's so with the heavier 20's this might not be an issue..

Thanx a lot guys..I was just curious after seeing those videos.
Old 08-11-05, 03:04 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

ah..TRD makes something for the gs3. so this is a good starter option< what does the TRD go for usually $ ?

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=657

$899 from carson. But installation will be $$$$$$$$$$ since they have to open it up and stick that in there.
Old 08-11-05, 03:24 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=657

$899 from carson. But installation will be $$$$$$$$$$ since they have to open it up and stick that in there.
That's correct, it's probably more cost effective to go 3:76 LSD as it will be a simple swap, the acceleration you lose going from 3.92 to 3.76 will be minimal and it will lower your rpm's at highway cruising speeds, longer engine life and better gas mileage.
Old 08-11-05, 03:56 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Indio
That's correct, it's probably more cost effective to go 3:76 LSD as it will be a simple swap, the acceleration you lose going from 3.92 to 3.76 will be minimal and it will lower your rpm's at highway cruising speeds, longer engine life and better gas mileage.

yeah i was thinking of that after i posted. the GS3 has shorter stock gearing than the GS4, I think a GS4 stock is 3.32 or something like that. RMM would actually give taller gearing!
Old 08-11-05, 07:07 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Very helpful info guys, thanx a lot. I would really love to hear from other FI'd gs3 owners and their thoughts and experiances.

Quick Reply: Is LSD neede for a FI gs3?