Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Best Spark Plug for GS

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-01 | 11:03 PM
RacingAristo

Is there any link for the torque master? And where did you guys purchase it? Thanks!
Old 08-03-01 | 07:13 AM
fever
Lead Lap

www.torquemaster.com

I haven't been to the track yet so we shall see but what really excites me is that once Mo brings out the level 2 and race ecu (if this isn't just smoke) then these fuel hungry plugs will marry very nicely with the richer mix. I believe it's a nice upgrade for 125 bucks. Again, I haven't had much time behind the wheel but I'm happy with the money spent already.
Old 08-16-01 | 10:04 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

The stock GS400 comes with the Denso Iridum plugs?

Then why would anyone want to change them out? Unless its time?
Old 08-17-01 | 02:03 AM
SilverGSguy
Pole Position

you dont need to change the plugs, gs4 already has denso iridium so there isnt a point.
Old 08-17-01 | 08:12 AM
fever
Lead Lap

Well, the G4 has the denso iridium BUT the torquemaster plugs, in my opinion, are better. But hey, it's an opinion, so unless a dyno can prove otherwise I suppose it would be pointless. I'll say this, my idle has smoothed out since putting these plugs in; especially when the a/c is off. It also feels like the car runs better. Maybe I should rack it to see.
Old 08-17-01 | 10:09 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know much about cars, so, at how many miles should someone change spark plugs? or should they never be changed?

Spark plugs are the most marketed performance product I see....what's the difference between a bad spark plug, and a good one? Can something that small really make a big difference?
Old 08-17-01 | 10:32 AM
fever
Lead Lap

Absolutely plugs can make a tremendous difference. More spark=more efficient burn=better performance and efficiency.
Old 08-17-01 | 11:05 AM
GS4K
Driver

Talking Spark Plugs

It depends, if your current spark plugs are producing enough spark than you car will not run better nor will it increase performance. An ignition Advancer or MSD might give you 4 hp. If your car idles rough or does not start good than you might want to check you plugs but you shouldn't change them unless you have about 120K miles on your car.
Old 08-17-01 | 11:13 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

My car doesn't have 120k miles on it, and it idles good and doesn't have a hard time starting up....so I guess I don't need them.

Thanks for the explanation on the benefits of better spark plugs fever.
Old 08-20-01 | 01:26 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

GS4K, you mentioned " If your car idles rough or does not start good than you might want to check you plugs but you shouldn't change them unless you have about 120K miles on your car."

I know in my past cars using both 'normal' plugs as well as Platinum plugs I have always been able to tell a distinct difference in performance when I put in new plugs. The old ones haven't always been in bad shape and my cars weren't idling rough or having trouble starting. Other drivers were able to tell the difference as well. In one car with a big block / high compression, I changed out the plugs about every 5K (non platinum, of course).

So... is there a reason, other than the expense, that I should not change out the plugs? Should the quote above have read "...you shouldn't NEED TO change them..."?

Thoughts anyone? I'm approaching 45K and think I want to bring some new plugs in to get them installed during the service.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-20-01 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-20-01 | 04:44 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Are the ND Irridium plugs a surface-gap plug like the Bosch+4?
Am wondering this because this design has always worked better in engines with similar combustion chamber design as ours,regardless of what compression,or whether or not it was blown,ie.;Alfa Romeo, Fiat/Lancia,VW16V,also, Alfa had plugs like this in the sixties on production cars,so they're nothing new.
Old 08-21-01 | 06:19 AM
GS4K
Driver

Wink Plugs

The Iridium Plugs are very good plugs and are built to last 120k miles! The other aftermarket plugs are probably not as good as these plugs especially for GS400s, there is a reason Lexus went with these plugs. If going with aftermarket plugs gets you 1-4 hp, if, you're telling me you can feel a 1-4 hp increase. I can barely feel the difference before and after I installed the SWT Air Filter and ECU, that's a different Stroy. I got the car dyno'd before and after and there was an increase of 10 rwhp, this increase in hp was proven. I usually don't like to deal with dealer but if you want call your local dealer and see what they recommend. I'm just trying save members $120 for new plugs when they don't need them. If you do change plugs and you do feel a difference WOT than there must have been something wrong with the previous plugs. I'm not trying to start a fight with you, I'm just stating my opinion and my past history. I used to have a '71 GTO, '95 Z-28, '92 VR-4, and a '97 Supra TT. I've changed the plugs on all these cars myself and only once did I feel a difference. It was in my '97 Supra after increasing the rwhp from 340 to 420 my car started to miss, this is a common thing when increasing HP. So I bought the SAME factory plugs(Denso Iridium) and regap them closer(.030), the car never miss again.

'98 GS400 - TC, SWT Air Intake/ECU, dyno'd @ 241rwhp, 14.2 E/T @ 98mph. Before mods 14.6 E/T.

Old 08-21-01 | 07:42 AM
fever
Lead Lap

Default Re: Plugs

Well, I will guarantee you one thing, you have more automotive experience than I have. Given that, I commend your scientific approach to measuring performance gains. But, we all know that cars of the same make and model are certainly not homogenous in performance. For instance, some people have achieved better quarter mile performance in bone stock G4's than you have with the TC and ecu/intake from Swift.
My only point is that the car feels smoother at idle (everyone knows what I'm talking about-A/C off, idle at 500 rpm and is slightly less smooth than A/C on and rpm's up) and seems to hesitate less. Perhaps the perceived performance gain is just that, wishful thinking, but I don't have a problem admitting I made a $125 mistake. For me, it was worth the addition. It feels better.

Originally posted by GS4K
The Iridium Plugs are very good plugs and are built to last 120k miles! The other aftermarket plugs are probably not as good as these plugs especially for GS400s, there is a reason Lexus went with these plugs. If going with aftermarket plugs gets you 1-4 hp, if, you're telling me you can feel a 1-4 hp increase. I can barely feel the difference before and after I installed the SWT Air Filter and ECU, that's a different Stroy. I got the car dyno'd before and after and there was an increase of 10 rwhp, this increase in hp was proven. I usually don't like to deal with dealer but if you want call your local dealer and see what they recommend. I'm just trying save members $120 for new plugs when they don't need them. If you do change plugs and you do feel a difference WOT than there must have been something wrong with the previous plugs. I'm not trying to start a fight with you, I'm just stating my opinion and my past history. I used to have a '71 GTO, '95 Z-28, '92 VR-4, and a '97 Supra TT. I've changed the plugs on all these cars myself and only once did I feel a difference. It was in my '97 Supra after increasing the rwhp from 340 to 420 my car started to miss, this is a common thing when increasing HP. So I bought the SAME factory plugs(Denso Iridium) and regap them closer(.030), the car never miss again.

'98 GS400 - TC, SWT Air Intake/ECU, dyno'd @ 241rwhp, 14.2 E/T @ 98mph. Before mods 14.6 E/T.

Old 08-21-01 | 09:04 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Fever,

I might be completely off my rocker here but is it possible that when you had the plugs swapped out the power to the ECU was disconnected, hence reset and that's the difference in performance you're feeling??

I'm not the most mechanically inclined person but from what I've "heard" spark is spark. Once you have enough for ignition everything else is overkill. The only exceptions would be engine upgrades, but to a relatively stock engine I don't see the end (better performance) justifying the means ($$$$). Again, this is only what I've picked up over the years and I would like to see some back to back tests to put this issue to rest.
Old 08-21-01 | 09:16 AM
GS4K
Driver

Thumbs up 1/4 Mile Times

Fever,
You stated that some other GS4 member did some 1/4 mile racing. Do you know which members actually went to the track? All I've seen are people doing G-Tech times. G-Tech times are good but doesn't compare to going to the track. I would like to know what their 60 feet times were and their mph and if they had traction problem.

You are absolutely right, not all cars perform the same, you might have a fast one or you might have a slow one. I think I have an average to slow one. But I've never seen or heard of a '98 Stock GS400 running better than 14.2 1/4 time. Maybe with some 15 inch rims or someother mild modifications.

Quick Reply: Best Spark Plug for GS