Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Torque converter which one should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-01, 12:08 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I see that there are many different torque converters out there for the GS4. I would like to know what is your recommandation. Are there any difference between the manufacturers such as RMM or SwiftRacing as far as performance and quality? How much should I expect to pay for a torque converter?

Thanks for your input....

Kaju
Old 07-07-01, 01:39 PM
RacingAristo

The manufacturer for RMM's and SRT's TC is the same, Precision Industry. I purchased SRT's TC and have it installed in RMM. Before they installed it, they checked the part # which is exactly the same as RMM's.
Old 07-07-01, 01:58 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation All The Same

Precision also makes the T/C marketed by Level 10 ( at least for the GS series ). Just go with whomever gives ya the best price!
Old 07-07-01, 08:17 PM
RacingAristo

M.G.,

Do you have Level 10's website address? What aftermarket parts do they offer? Thanks.
Old 07-07-01, 09:10 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Thanks guys. Now I just need a good credit card number to order my parts, (got any.....?)

My wife took my credit card away!

Old 07-08-01, 05:04 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb RA - Try This

RA - Try www.levelten.com. If U go with them, they'll more than likely ask U all kinds of questions about your car ( cam size; gearing; compression ratio; etc ). They're great for exact T/C applications like drag cars but I believe the GS T/C is an off-the-shelf piece designed with either a 2400 rpm stall speed ( for the supercharged cars ) or 2800 rpms for the non-aspirated. Happy hunting!
Old 07-08-01, 08:15 AM
RacingAristo

Thanks, M.G. I'm just looking for other aftermarket parts to improve the performance and handling. I already have SRT's TC for almost one year. I love it.
Old 07-09-01, 07:15 PM
GSman
Pole Position

RacingAristo,

Did you say you bought an SRT torque converter and had it installed at RMM? If so, did they give you a hard time since you did not buy it from them and how much did they charge for the install?

Old 07-09-01, 08:47 PM
RacingAristo

RMM staff didn't give me any hard time at all but they did ask me where I got it. I told them I got it from a friend and they didn't ask anymore question. They charged me $200 and took several hours for TC installation which I think it's pretty cheap. They also did some road test when they finished the installation.

"Enjoy it", he said and gave me the car key. I left with a big smile on my face.
Old 07-09-01, 10:10 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

I called RMM today and they quoted me around $350 to install. They told me that since I did not buy the parts from them, they would not warrenty the installation.

Thinking about going to Longo now...........
Old 07-09-01, 10:15 PM
RacingAristo

That's weird because I still have the receipt to proof. Maybe they raise the installation fee or something.
Old 07-10-01, 08:35 AM
GSman
Pole Position

Aren't the RMM and SRT torque converters the same Precision Technologies product? If so, would RMM match prices and give the lower install rate?

Old 07-11-01, 12:04 AM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Nope! I tried and they said no way in hell they would match the SwiftRacing price!

So basically, grab your ankle and get f@*ked in the A$$. :eek: Did I just said that?
Old 07-11-01, 12:37 AM
RacingAristo

Keep in mind that not every company do pricematch. If not, no need to be pissed because of that. You can just order it from SRT or Level 10 instead, or even order it directly from Precision Industries if their price is lower.

I know RMM doesn't have a great reputation around CL as SRT or L-Tuned but I'm extremely happy with their service. None of the rep was rude or not well-known in Lexus GS field when I talked to them. I still have that guy's business card. Perhaps you can be my referral (I got nothing out of this) and furthermore lower your installation fee. They have my name in their customer file I think. Anyhow. I should really go back to study. Midterm within 48 hours!
Old 07-11-01, 01:26 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Some things to consider:

Swift Racing gives this board the MOST support. Mo also has the best price and contributed to the tuning specs that Precision uses to match the TC to our cars. If you are just gonna get the cheapest install and never go back to the shop... BUY IT FROM SRT!!!

SOMETIMES it pays to pay extra from your local installer. If they give you great service and you like to ask LOTS of questions and hang out a the shop... it is always a good idea to support a good shop... don't forget to give business to good shops to help them stick around. As someone that has background in the Tuner business... I can say from experience that it SUCKS to have a customer ask question after question from you and then buy the part elsewhere hoping you will install it at cost :eek: :eek:

Last edited by JBrady; 07-11-01 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Torque converter which one should I get?