Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How to make this work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-05, 11:17 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK Jonny I hope this helps.
Here is a pic of my factory ECU box .I Iknow it looks like a wiring mess but I tried to separate them enough to dis play for you. Disregad all the electrical tape It is on there temporaily while while I was experimenting. I used some of the connectors from the S-AFC to plug the S-AFC to the SRT MAF out and engine MAF in.

Just so if anyone was wondering why did I bother to do all of this. It started from having the SRT race ECU intake on my GS430 and wanting to know how much more (if any) HP gainit produced I was also curios as to what changes did there ECU box have on the A/F ratio compared to stock.
I picked up a S-FACII at first mostly to use as a neat monitoring gadget. Then I wondered can the S-AFC be tuned and get better results than the pre-programed setting in the SRT box. Dyno time w/ tuning is not cheap. A local shop charges $120/hr w/ $60 1/2hr minimum. The tuner was going to tune the S-AFC and said he would not charge extra for addional pulls if I wanted to make some changes.

This double hook up was created so that I could dyno one set-up and quicky switch to the other.
1- Dyno the SRTintake /ECU leaving the S-AFC corrections at "0" or Data file 2 w/ "0"settings so they have no effect on the MAF signal coming from the SRT ECU to the stock ECU.
2- Unplug the SRT ECU black box from wire harness Insert wire jumper- Tune the S-AFC w/ the large SRT intake on.
You can tune S-AFC w/ SRT ECU box still connected. You would be just fine tuning it's signal before it went to the stock ECU I think it would be a waste of tune/dyno time and not much tobe gained.

When all done I do plan to remove the all the SRT stuff (except intake tube) and just use the S-AFC OR keep the SRT system and us the S-AFC just for monitoring engine functions If it has better results ( which I doubt it will) Thats my story and I'm stick'n to it LOL Dyno #'s coming

Diagram A is the correct way to wire the S-AFC
Do not wire it like diagram B- your tring to split the MAF signal from the egine 2 ways and your trying to send 2 signals to the stock ECU to read NOT GOOD
Jonny in your other post I, believe you show it wired like diagram B

This is my GS430 stockk ECU w/ the SRT & S-AFC wired- follow the flow of the blue arrow . The MAF signal is the ONLY thing gets altered .

Last edited by GILLEXUS; 09-23-05 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-21-05, 04:44 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Gil,

Here is my list of questions. I started PM'ing you and then realised I had several more.

1. What kind of connector did you use for the jumper/ where did you get it from.

2. What happened to the rest of the wires from the SRT ( red, black etc.) Are there 2 different connectors inside the black box?

3. On your diagram - what is the black thing where the green from the SRT wire harness meets with the white MAF input wire from the S-AFC?

Thx man,
Jonny
Old 09-22-05, 10:20 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Sorry Jonny I forgot to post the jumper pic.
Quote from Jonny
1. What kind of connector did you use for the jumper/ where did you get it from

I just used a piece of about 18 ga. wire I had laying around. I put some solder on the ends just to keep from having any frayed loose wires and to make it thick enough to wedge in to the connector (see pic)

2. What happened to the rest of the wires from the SRT ( red, black etc.) Are there 2 different connectors inside the black box?
They are still tapped into the stock ECU. I only showed the MAF signal wire in the diagram because that is the the ONLY wire that is attached differently. when you think about it, once the SRT ECU box is unplugged the wires remain attached to the stock ECU but now tthe only wire that matters is the green and orange ones.

The car will start and run at this point but the only thing that will keep it from running prorperly and triggering the "Check Ehgine Light" is it is not getting a signal from the MAF sensor to the stock ECU ( remember that wire was cut and the SRT green and orange wires were attached) That is the purpose of the jumper wire to reconnect the green and orange wire contact since the SRT box is unplugged and is no longer connecting those two wires.

I think maybe the confusion is that you think that the red,black purple and white wire still have some purpose once the SRT box is unplugged They do not matter once the SRTECU box is unplugged

The red and black wire only serve to power the SRT ECU box The purple(RPM) and white (TPS) wire only serve to send the RPM and TPS signals to the SRT ECU box so it knows when to apply its programed A/F settings. These signals from the engine are not altered that is why they were only tapped into and not cut. the MAF signal is the only thing that is altered by the SRT ECU box that is why that wire is cut and not tapped into.

Everything that I have reserched indicates (someone correct me of the info. seem incorrect)
the SRT ECU is really just like the S-AFC the only thing they do to the engine is alter the signal from the Mass Air Flow sensor attached to the intake tube, that signal is altered and then sent to the stock ECU making it thnk that it is getting less air into the engine so now the engine will add more fuel the larger SRT intake needs more fuel for the larger intake.
The SRT ECU is pre-set to add fuel vs. the S-AFC you can tell the engine to add or subtract fuel.
Jonny if you already know this info. disregard this will help those that don't

3. On your diagram - what is the black thing where the green from the SRT wire harness meets with the white MAF input wire from the S-AFC?
Sorry, that was a sad attempt to make it look like a connector. I should have labeled it.I'll try and fix that.

Last edited by GILLEXUS; 09-22-05 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-24-05, 02:39 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

nice work Ron