Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Transmission Questions F/I with High HP

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-05, 09:43 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Transmission Questions F/I with High HP

I was looking thru some of the previous posts on this forum about trannies and such.

But I have a few questions of my own.

Is the auto lsd supra rear pumpkin strong enough to handle around 500-650rwhp or so? My friend has a 94 SupraTT and he just did a single turbo conversion recently. He is putting down 505rwhp. His car is a 6spd so that might explain why it can handle the additional power? He put in a TRD clutch because the old one was going out but i'm sure the rear end hasnt changed. The car seemed ok when he let me drive it last week.

I'm very interested in knowing more because I am dead set on doing an Aristo V300 swap next summer. I'm wanting to keep the stock tranny due to it being a 5sp and the top gear will let me cruise the highway at lower rpm's. However, the 5sp is most likely weaker than the 4sp since it was not designed for higher hp/trq in mind compared to the 4spd from the aristo. Which one of these trannies would be the better choice? And will the 5spd from the GS300 even bolt up to the GTE motor?

Please anyone with experience in this or if you have any other comments please chip in!
Old 09-27-05, 04:44 PM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im on the way to do the same. Haven't really decided wether to FI the GE or just get the GTE. But to answer your question, the Supra pumpkin will handle pretty high HP. Ive seen Supras in the 700hp with stock rear ends.

The stock tranny will handle around 350-400hp from what I read on this site. The downside to getting the V300 tranny, you will need a new driveshaft and custom mounts.

ben
Old 09-27-05, 04:50 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting....

I'm guessing that the Aristo tranny is a pretty built unit. So it might be a better option to use for my target power of 500-650rwhp

One of my friends works at a tranny shop and he says he can get the stock 5 speed built to drag spec (aka: high hp beating). I'm hoping to go that route because I want to keep the 5th gear for highways. Also the fact that I wont have to get custom mounts. Will the GS300 stock 5spd bolt up to the Aristo V300 motor tho?

Come on all you F/I guys. Post up!
Old 09-28-05, 03:43 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Jeff,
We are currenty working on the tranny and get it to handle up to 600whp. It's quite a bit of work. Where are you located in texas?
JP importz
Old 09-28-05, 07:11 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Im in plano. I think I talked to you on AIM one time. I'm Lane's friend with the charcoal IS300.
Old 09-29-05, 09:49 AM
cacrawfo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
Here is an important question, if you retain the 5 speed tranny, what will control it? I am not sure what engine and ECM you are planning to install, but if it did not control a 5 speed in stock form, it may not all hook up like intended... If you are going to go nuts, you could probably control the 5 speed with am AEM pems....

Carl C
Old 09-29-05, 10:56 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cacrawfo
Hello,
Here is an important question, if you retain the 5 speed tranny, what will control it? I am not sure what engine and ECM you are planning to install, but if it did not control a 5 speed in stock form, it may not all hook up like intended... If you are going to go nuts, you could probably control the 5 speed with am AEM pems....

Carl C

I thought the transmission ecu was separate from the engine ecu. But they were linked together? Either way if it doesn't work out....i could get a transmission controller or something like that.
Old 09-29-05, 01:30 PM
cacrawfo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota has integrated the tranny and engine control together since about 90', depending on the model. What would you use to control the tranny? there really is no such thing as a "tranny controller" for these transmisions.... consider that it is harder to tune a trans than it is an engine... you could possibly make a box to lock it into each gear as you choose, but it would lose all "automatic" functions. (and chirp the tires avery shift!)

What I am getting at is this: with newer cars and more integration, it is harder to mix-and-match these things like engine, trans, ECUs... If you are going to swap in an engine from a JDM Aristo, swap it ALL in. Get the clip as complete as you can, and use all the wiring, ECU, tranny as it sits... then modify it from there... All the advantages that you would be trying to retain by using the 5 speed would be gone if you tried to integrate it with a different ECU...

"Mix and match and you shall see, it doesn't work as it should be!"

Carl C