Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Header Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-05, 05:06 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah!!! So can I still order them?? I want to see result and reviews first!
Old 10-17-05, 12:53 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Can we get dyno number please.
Old 10-19-05, 01:06 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Can we get dyno number please.

Old 10-19-05, 06:23 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Installed!!!

Just got the headers installed. Started at 10am and finished at 4:30pm due to some unforseen issues. Had to take out the cat because of an exhaust leak. Made my car sound like a pinto. We had to pull the cats out and shave off a portion of the outer ring where the gasket went. The manufacturer didn't put a recess into the flange where it attaches to the cat causing the gasket not to seat correctly. You could either shave the ring like I did or just get a flat gasket instead of using the factory one. Car seems to shift smoother in the lower rpm range. Noise is barely noticeable. I have axle back blitz exhausts and K&N FIPK intake. Car seems to come alive when you floor it. From around 3000 to tranny shift point, car pulls harder. I definitely noticed it when driving home on the freeway. My initial impressions is that the headers do make the car drive better overall. Of course I don't plan to stay NA, so that's where I think I'll see the most gains. A big thanks to John, aka jbrady!!! A big shout out the Teddy at Dynamic Auto for doing to install.

Last edited by trbopooh; 10-19-05 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-20-05, 08:24 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the info! I have a couple of follow up questions:
Where is the shop located and how much did they charge you?
Any other "issues" with the installation process?
If I used a flat gasket, then the o ring on the cat flange shouldn't be a problem?
Thanks for any additional advice on this...
Old 10-20-05, 09:26 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Everyone is jumping up and down about these headers but there are no dyno numbers. Would you spend $600.00 for 8 horses and 5 hours of labor? And the fact that you have to shave, cut and chop the header to fit when you get it. It is a good Idea but the idea needs some engineering behind it before I bite.
Old 10-20-05, 09:44 AM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FutureGS400
Thanks for the info! I have a couple of follow up questions:
Where is the shop located and how much did they charge you?
Any other "issues" with the installation process?
If I used a flat gasket, then the o ring on the cat flange shouldn't be a problem?
Thanks for any additional advice on this...
The shop is called Dynamic Auto located Midway City next to Westminster. Teddy is a master Lexus mechanic that used to work at Longo Lexus. If you used a flat gasket (you might have to purchase a little thicker one), which can be purchased at any speed shop, then you shouldn't have an issue. We cut the ring so that it would be flush with the flange to give you an idea. It's probably about 2-3mm. I decided to have my mechanic cut the ring off because I didn't want to drive around with an exhaust leak. There weren't any real other issues besides the nuts and bolts that were supplied. For some reason, I got standard instead of metic. I can give you the number if you want to contact them for more info.
Old 10-20-05, 09:55 AM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

Everyone is jumping up and down about these headers but there are no dyno numbers. Would you spend $600.00 for 8 horses and 5 hours of labor? And the fact that you have to shave, cut and chop the header to fit when you get it. It is a good Idea but the idea needs some engineering behind it before I bite.

I really don't know how to answer your question. I guess I kinda did when I've already made the commitment to purchase and install these headers. I dunno about labor. I think the SC and LS crowd could make it a weekend DIY, but it's definitely not looking at the complexity and what involved for the GS. Yeah, there probably should have been better engineering involved, but these were minor issues in hindsight. You have to also remember that there aren't that many tuners that make stuff for our cars. On perception of value, it really depends on the person. I'm going FI. The headers will definitely help. I think people with torque converters and differentials will also see benefits when they floor their cars.
Old 10-20-05, 10:00 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by CinFulxGS4

Cin / Shock:

As I'm pretty sure both of you know, this sort of conversation has been covered ad nauseum in the old header thread. Let's please not turn this thread into another long-running ***** session; if you don't want to invest in this then don't do it. Let this thread be an informational post where those folks that do want to share their results, observations and address any issues, not full of people sniping from the sidelines. Sit tight and wait for the results.

Any further discussion on this please PM me, thanks.
Old 10-20-05, 10:22 AM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

Default Dynamic Auto

For those that are interested in the shop I went to:

Dynamic Auto

714-899-2939
Old 10-20-05, 04:53 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by trbopooh
Just got the headers installed. Started at 10am and finished at 4:30pm due to some unforseen issues. Had to take out the cat because of an exhaust leak. Made my car sound like a pinto. We had to pull the cats out and shave off a portion of the outer ring where the gasket went. The manufacturer didn't put a recess into the flange where it attaches to the cat causing the gasket not to seat correctly. You could either shave the ring like I did or just get a flat gasket instead of using the factory one. Car seems to shift smoother in the lower rpm range. Noise is barely noticeable. I have axle back blitz exhausts and K&N FIPK intake. Car seems to come alive when you floor it. From around 3000 to tranny shift point, car pulls harder. I definitely noticed it when driving home on the freeway. My initial impressions is that the headers do make the car drive better overall. Of course I don't plan to stay NA, so that's where I think I'll see the most gains. A big thanks to John, aka jbrady!!! A big shout out the Teddy at Dynamic Auto for doing to install.
The shop is called Dynamic Auto located Midway City next to Westminster. Teddy is a master Lexus mechanic that used to work at Longo Lexus. If you used a flat gasket (you might have to purchase a little thicker one), which can be purchased at any speed shop, then you shouldn't have an issue. We cut the ring so that it would be flush with the flange to give you an idea. It's probably about 2-3mm. I decided to have my mechanic cut the ring off because I didn't want to drive around with an exhaust leak. There weren't any real other issues besides the nuts and bolts that were supplied. For some reason, I got standard instead of metic. I can give you the number if you want to contact them for more info.
First of all you are welcome, glad you are enjoying them.

Regarding the gasket O ring: if the stock part is not damaged it would only protrude very slightly. It would add probably $50 to the flange cost to cut the recess for the gasket. gawd did not have a problem and I do not expect to have. I would suggest if the gasket is in good shape make certain to tighten the 3 bolts evenly and it should seal up. Of course you could use a standard gasket or file the O ring down or even pay a shop to machine a groove in the flanges. Should not create a problem in general. I am surprised you had a problem.

I spoke with Loren and they are aware that the threads were wrong and that has been addressed and corrected. Of course you will need to use a maching nut on the two welded in studs but that is no big deal.

That install time is very reasonable at 6 hours or so. A far far cry from the shop manual stating 8.5 per side. I think the 8.5 is actually pulling the engine so any shop that doubles that to 17 hours is ignorant or abusive or both.

Anyway, I am glad you are enjoying them and feel the power increase. It will be nice to get some solid dyno numbers but if is very fair to state that they do make the engine more responsive and powerful. Response does not show up on a dyno but definitely shows up in driving feel. gawds car picked up 15rwhp at 6200rpm with a pig rich A/F ratio. I look forward to some numbers with a leaner running engine.
Old 10-20-05, 05:22 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

Hi John,

I didn't get a chance to dyno because I'm going FI soon and didn't want to pay the extra $$$ for tuning. I think that if we were able to compare a stock dyno to a car with the headers installed, it would change the points where the power builds. I also think that if someone had a SAFC installed, it would change dyno numbers. Did gawd have a SAFC installed during the dyno?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10-20-05, 05:34 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by trbopooh
Hi John,

I didn't get a chance to dyno because I'm going FI soon and didn't want to pay the extra $$$ for tuning. I think that if we were able to compare a stock dyno to a car with the headers installed, it would change the points where the power builds. I also think that if someone had a SAFC installed, it would change dyno numbers. Did gawd have a SAFC installed during the dyno?

Thanks,

Mike
Mike,

No, gawd has an SRT with race ECU. IMO it is not tuned correctly as that A/F reading is way off. He had A/F readings taken on the baseline runs but not on the post header install dynos so we do not have that information. I am sure some will be able to post dyno numbers soon enough. Glad you are pleased.
Old 10-20-05, 07:12 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

John, I am unfamiliar with the SRT intake and ecu. Is the SRT ecu calibrated to only the intake? If you had exhaust and headers, the ecu wouldn't compensate for this would it? Can someone familiar with the SRT chime in?
Old 10-20-05, 07:18 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the SRT unit is preset for a Typical GS with no mods other than the SRT intake. It will not properly compensate for additional mods. It is not tuneable.

Quick Reply: Header Update