Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Header Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-05, 07:44 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John, I am unfamiliar with the SRT intake and ecu. Is the SRT ecu calibrated to only the intake? If you had exhaust and headers, the ecu wouldn't compensate for this would it? Can someone familiar with the SRT chime in?
Old 10-20-05, 07:50 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
Yes the SRT unit is preset for a Typical GS with no mods other than the SRT intake. It will not properly compensate for additional mods. It is not tuneable.
It definitely *IS* tuneable, but only by Mo at the SRT facility. You're certainly going to be correct about the standard settings not being optimal for headers unless it's just blind luck.
Old 10-20-05, 08:12 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I guess you are right Dave, but in my book if you have to take the whole shootin match back to the manufacturer, that doesnt count. I guess when I think of tuneable, I think of it as tuneable by the enduser or by your average local shop.

Sort of along the lilnes of a SAFC or AEM unit.
Old 10-20-05, 08:25 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

Dave and Morris,

I suppose it's kind of redundant for the people with FI getting these because they would have to retune, but do you think that people will see better numbers if they used something like SAFC along with intake, exhaust, and headers.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10-21-05, 07:19 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trbopooh
Just got the headers installed. Started at 10am and finished at 4:30pm due to some unforseen issues. Had to take out the cat because of an exhaust leak. Made my car sound like a pinto. We had to pull the cats out and shave off a portion of the outer ring where the gasket went. The manufacturer didn't put a recess into the flange where it attaches to the cat causing the gasket not to seat correctly. You could either shave the ring like I did or just get a flat gasket instead of using the factory one. Car seems to shift smoother in the lower rpm range. Noise is barely noticeable. I have axle back blitz exhausts and K&N FIPK intake. Car seems to come alive when you floor it. From around 3000 to tranny shift point, car pulls harder. I definitely noticed it when driving home on the freeway. My initial impressions is that the headers do make the car drive better overall. Of course I don't plan to stay NA, so that's where I think I'll see the most gains. A big thanks to John, aka jbrady!!! A big shout out the Teddy at Dynamic Auto for doing to install.
So did your header ,cats and Y- pipe all line up? Did you have to make an minor mods to bolt your Y-pipe to you cat or exhaust?
Old 10-21-05, 08:10 AM
jp430
Driver

Just got mine last week, having them installed this weekend. Should help with my SC setup. I am going to dyno the car before and after headers are installed.
Old 10-21-05, 08:18 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Dave and Morris,

I suppose it's kind of redundant for the people with FI getting these because they would have to retune, but do you think that people will see better numbers if they used something like SAFC along with intake, exhaust, and headers.

Thanks,

Mike
Yes, definitely. IMO you'd still need to dyno tune to make it most effective

Originally Posted by morris
Yes I guess you are right Dave, but in my book if you have to take the whole shootin match back to the manufacturer, that doesnt count. I guess when I think of tuneable, I think of it as tuneable by the enduser or by your average local shop.

Sort of along the lilnes of a SAFC or AEM unit.
Well, we'll just have to disagree . You also have the option to dyno at your local shop and mail it back with your dyno results (incl air fuel) and just clip the ECU back in. LOTs of tuners do that for German cars, etc. I grant that its more of a pain and having the adjust in-car is somewhat more flexible, but it is certainly tuneable just like an SAFC or AEM unit at the end of the day.
Old 10-21-05, 08:18 AM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
So did your header ,cats and Y- pipe all line up? Did you have to make an minor mods to bolt your Y-pipe to you cat or exhaust?
Nope, I didn't do the y pipe. Is that what you are asking? Everything fits fine except you might have to make some adjustments. I had to grind off part of the ring on my cat to make it fit right. John said gawd didn't have that issue. Read his post after my install to see how gawd's install went. BTW, are the instructions to hook up the SAFC the same as the SRT ecu?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10-21-05, 08:19 AM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jp430
Just got mine last week, having them installed this weekend. Should help with my SC setup. I am going to dyno the car before and after headers are installed.
I definitely think so. I'm going FI soon and didn't want to spend money just to dyno results and dyno again after SC install.

Mike
Old 10-21-05, 09:14 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Can't wait for the dyno numbers. I've been waiting for this mod for our cars for an eternity
Old 10-21-05, 10:19 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Nope, I didn't do the y pipe. Is that what you are asking? Everything fits fine except you might have to make some adjustments. I had to grind off part of the ring on my cat to make it fit right. John said gawd didn't have that issue. Read his post after my install to see how gawd's install went. BTW, are the instructions to hook up the SAFC the same as the SRT ecu?

Thanks,

Mike
The SRT's ECU hook up is the same for the SAFC, except for the rpm signal. Which do you have S-AFC II or I? Check out GURU's diagram for the GS400 S-AFC II. I'll see if I can find it.

What did you hook up to the cats after the header if you did not use the stock Y-pipe?
Old 10-21-05, 10:21 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Hmmm, interesting the progress that has been made. Great job jBrady and thank you for your efforts. I would certainly be interested in a set for my SC if space allows. I will have to go out and compare the two cars in the garage and looking forward to those dynos.
Lee
Old 10-21-05, 10:28 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

trbopooh, here is that post for your S-AFC

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...95&postcount=5
Old 10-21-05, 10:44 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jp430
That will be really great.
Glad that you will have the opportunity to do this. This will help a lot of us to see exactly how much and where in the power band the header affects the car. And as soon as someone w/ a non FI car dynos it w/ pre and post header #'s. This will give us a great deal of info.
I'm guessing that there will be quite a bit difference w/ the headers on the a FI car w/ exhaust sytem than non-FI. Just my $.02
Old 10-21-05, 12:21 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
It definitely *IS* tuneable, but only by Mo at the SRT facility. You're certainly going to be correct about the standard settings not being optimal for headers unless it's just blind luck.
I do not have an SRT but here is my understanding of it and the stock MAF:

Stock A/F ratios are tuned "safe" as to tolerate a wide range of owners potential use and abuse such as running 87 octane and pulling a trailer. Most performance people understand that more power will be generated the LEANER the A/F ratio is up to the point of detonation. Hence the tuning term "lean is mean" I.E. makes more power but is a dangerous tune.

So, if you take an SAFC or other end user adjustable device and lean out the factory fuel ratio you will gain power. The same generally applies to advancing the ignition timing. So, even without more air flow capacity the modified tune can increase power.

The SRT intake is a larger diameter than stock tube into which the stock MAFsensor is placed. Since the tube is larger in diameter this would create a VERY lean running condition with no other changes. The MAF element creates a signal assuming the stock diameter tubing. Bigger tubing, more flow for any given signal.

Now, the SRT ECU piggyback does two things, it corrects the signal to account for the increased flow past the MAF element AND it leans the mixture somewhat. These are actually competing tuning directions. The bigger tube leaned it already so the ECU actually must richen the mixture to bring it back to factory ratios. So, they just do not richen quite as much and end up with a slightly leaner and more powerful tune. The larger pipe diameter reduces restriction around the MAF so air flow potential is increased.

Now, once your MAF is reading correctly it will AUTOMATICALLY adjust the A/F ratio as the mass air flow changes. The installation of headers and the subsequent increase in total flow mearly will be compensated by the MAFs preset ratio. In theory the MAF will maintain (up to its flow capacity) the correct fuel flow.

In the case with gawd's engine and SRT for some reason his is running WAY too rich. For whatever reason his MAF is signalling is incorrect. Installing the headers in theory should not significantly alter the A/F ratio as any flow increase will be met with fuel increase. It is always nice to optimize your tuning but I would have no concerns whatsoever running the headers on either a stock MAF or SRT set up without tuning. Of course that statement assumes either setup is in fact tuned correctly before the header install. This is the SAME reason that adding the K&N system does not require tuning.

Quick Reply: Header Update