Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Header Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-05, 06:12 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
trbopooh, here is that post for your S-AFC

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...95&postcount=5
Thanks GILLEXUS
Old 10-21-05, 06:16 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

The SRT's ECU hook up is the same for the SAFC, except for the rpm signal. Which do you have S-AFC II or I? Check out GURU's diagram for the GS400 S-AFC II. I'll see if I can find it.

What did you hook up to the cats after the header if you did not use the stock Y-pipe?
OOOPS!!! Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I'm still using the stock y pipe. I thought you meant an aftermarket one. As of right now, I'm running K&N FIPK, headers, and Blitz axel back exhausts.

Mike
Old 10-22-05, 12:58 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any pics ? Did you try and retain your heat shield w/ any fabed brakets. I know you guys have to pass a visual emissions inspection.
Here in Colo. they just inspect for restrictor in the gas tank inlet, gas cap pressure,, Catalyitic coverters and all air and vaccum lines connected.
Old 10-22-05, 08:05 AM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

Any pics ? Did you try and retain your heat shield w/ any fabed brakets. I know you guys have to pass a visual emissions inspection.
Here in Colo. they just inspect for restrictor in the gas tank inlet, gas cap pressure,, Catalyitic coverters and all air and vaccum lines connected.
I didn't manage to snap any pics during install. I didn't/couldn't retain the heat shield. I ordered mine jet hot coated. No issues with extra heat so far. I think it would have taken a couple of hours longer if we tried to install the header with the heat shields. Spacing is very tight on the GS. As for visual, you can barely see the headers on the passenger's side. On the driver's side, you'd have to look pretty hard. Give me your email address and I'll try and take some pics on Wednesday.
Old 10-22-05, 10:03 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

trbopooh,

You got PM
Old 10-22-05, 10:08 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by trbopooh
Just got the headers installed. From around 3000 to tranny shift point, car pulls harder. .

good to hear. did you notice any loss of torque below 3000 RPM?
Old 10-22-05, 01:09 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

No, not really at all. You don't really notice the headers until you floor it or are driving on the freeway. I noticed a drop in torque more when I installed the blitz exhaust and intake.
Old 10-22-05, 11:48 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

get it dyno tuned. asap. vette owners i know gain 40-50+hp just from headers, intake, catback and tune, with the Tune being the critical aspect. Don't expect those numbers, but you never know.
BTW for thsoe people that are complaining, 600 bucks is CHEAP for headers, esp coated ones.
I'm paying 1600 for mine, the cheapest avail being 850.
Old 10-23-05, 04:39 PM
gawd
Pole Position

Hey Guys,

Sorry I've been away so long, looks like a few people got their headers in The installer here didn't say anything about the threads or issues with the cat gaskets. But I did replace my gaskets because of a small exhaust leak that I could hear at idle, so the fitment might be an issue with worn gaskets. The car is still running rich, 14.9 mpg in the city when I was running 17.6 before the header install. I need to get around to getting the S-AFC installed and tuned.

A fellow member is meeting me at the same shop to have his headers installed, I'll see if I and the installer can visually detect any differences. It might be hard, my memory is fading with age and it has been over 2 months. Let's see those intall pics...
Old 10-23-05, 07:40 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gawd
Hey Guys,

Sorry I've been away so long, looks like a few people got their headers in The installer here didn't say anything about the threads or issues with the cat gaskets. But I did replace my gaskets because of a small exhaust leak that I could hear at idle, so the fitment might be an issue with worn gaskets. The car is still running rich, 14.9 mpg in the city when I was running 17.6 before the header install. I need to get around to getting the S-AFC installed and tuned.

A fellow member is meeting me at the same shop to have his headers installed, I'll see if I and the installer can visually detect any differences. It might be hard, my memory is fading with age and it has been over 2 months. Let's see those intall pics...
What happened? You had been getting better gas mileage after the headers. When did you notice a drop in mileage?
Old 10-24-05, 03:41 PM
gawd
Pole Position

I'm not sure, it ws nice having that extra 1mpg right after the header install, but my last fillup was at a disappointing 14.9mpg. I need to get that darn S-AFCin and the car tuned to see the ful potential.
Old 10-24-05, 04:16 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Default John Need a quesion ansered from the man himself!

Hey John, got my set of S&S headers on the way for my 1992 sc400, do really need to pull this engine to remove the driverside header? I can't get a tool on those bolts. I am thinking of just having a shop do it. I live in LA, do you know of a shop who can do the install of the headers for me? Any helpful insight would be appreciated, I did read your big header post as well. Congrats on the design they look awesome!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-05, 04:25 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jibbby
Hey John, got my set of S&S headers on the way for my 1992 sc400, do really need to pull this engine to remove the driverside header? I can't get a tool on those bolts. I am thinking of just having a shop do it. I live in LA, do you know of a shop who can do the install of the headers for me? Any helpful insight would be appreciated, I did read your big header post as well. Congrats on the design they look awesome!!!!!!!!!
Several people have installed long tube headers on the SC400 and no one has pulled the engine, so, NO, you do not. Regarding specifics or recommendations maybe someone here can chime in.

Also, do a search on headers and SC400. Find some of the members who have done this and PM them.

Good luck.
Old 10-24-05, 04:27 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gawd
I'm not sure, it ws nice having that extra 1mpg right after the header install, but my last fillup was at a disappointing 14.9mpg. I need to get that darn S-AFCin and the car tuned to see the ful potential.
Hard to say. Also possible the gas has been reformulated (again) and oxygenation and other changes can reduce mileage. Keep us posted.
Old 10-25-05, 05:11 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

I just went through my first take of gas and noticed no increase/decrease in mileage.

Quick Reply: Header Update