Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Header Update

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-05, 12:54 PM
TexasLex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvangundy
I beleive your rev limited problem in 1st is due to your TC and 3.76 LSD.

I think someone lowered the stall speed and resolved this. Otherwise you'll need to either get rid of the rev limit, remove the 3.76 unit and use the stock 3.23 with the TRD gears, or toss the TC or the 3.76/LSD completely.
Thank you for your input, I believe I read the post you are referring to if it was the one were the guy lowered his stall to 2,600 and changed to synthetic transmission fluid? When I changed the rearend to LSD I used the OEM gears, so I don't know if that is what I need to do just yet. Has anyone else run synthetic transmission fluid?

I read a different post where someone had the same type of problem which turned out to be from tuning then the weather changed and the AFR got too lean. The weather here has been changing drastically from day to day, so I am planning to have the tuner check this out when the car goes back in.

Is there a way to raise the rev limit on a 1994 SC400?

I made so many changes at once that it is going to be extra hard to figure out. I want to try to address the low-cost variables before swapping the T/C out.

Thank you all again for the helpful ideas and any other input you may have is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by SC & RX; 12-14-05 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Add
Old 12-14-05, 02:47 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you read some of my posts you will see that this was something I had a big problem with - I had the 3.76 with the FC as well. I even had my valvebody upgraded in the hopes of fixing it - but never did. So, I have sold my 3.76 and am going back to stock gearing to see if that helps.

There is a company who makes a controller so you can change your shift points which will help you. The downside is that it is $850 and it makes your CEL go on

But it should fix your problem. Again, search for my posts and you should find the link for that too.

Jonny

Originally Posted by SC & RX
Thank you for your input, I believe I read the post you are referring to if it was the one were the guy lowered his stall to 2,600 and changed to synthetic transmission fluid? When I changed the rearend to LSD I used the OEM gears, so I don't know if that is what I need to do just yet. Has anyone else run synthetic transmission fluid?

I read a different post where someone had the same type of problem which turned out to be from tuning then the weather changed and the AFR got too lean. The weather here has been changing drastically from day to day, so I am planning to have the tuner check this out when the car goes back in.

Is there a way to raise the rev limit on a 1994 SC400?

I made so many changes at once that it is going to be extra hard to figure out. I want to try to address the low-cost variables before swapping the T/C out.

Thank you all again for the helpful ideas and any other input you may have is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-14-05, 04:06 PM
TexasLex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dx3
If you read some of my posts you will see that this was something I had a big problem with - I had the 3.76 with the FC as well. I even had my valvebody upgraded in the hopes of fixing it - but never did. So, I have sold my 3.76 and am going back to stock gearing to see if that helps.

There is a company who makes a controller so you can change your shift points which will help you. The downside is that it is $850 and it makes your CEL go on

But it should fix your problem. Again, search for my posts and you should find the link for that too.

Jonny
OK, thanks. BTW, I assume FC is short for fuel cut off?
Old 12-14-05, 07:00 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, thanks. BTW, I assume FC is short for fuel cut off?
I apologise - I am on my laptop and don't type as well on it. I meant TC for Torque Convertor.

Jonny
Old 12-15-05, 10:58 AM
TexasLex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dx3

Jonny
I re-read all of the posts I could find concerning issues with the rev limiter and saw that some people experience the problem after installing the TC and some do not. I also saw the matrix comparing who did and didn't depending on what different combination of mods they had. I now wonder though if the data was separated further to see if it was only the 1998 + applications with the different ECUs that have the problem and it was the older models that did not?

BTW, I already have a CEL, so the controller throwing that would not be an issue.
Old 12-15-05, 11:09 AM
TexasLex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jbrady
Hmmm... this while an improvement is less that expected. Do you have any exhaust pictures? Do you have the dyno sheet in a postable form? Did you go with X or Y pipe? You say much wider and smoother can you be more specific. SRQ400 feels a DRAMATIC inprovement in power and torque on his 99. He has not dyno'd but the low speed on up is to him very different with much better throttle response through out. You also made many changes at once. I am interested in the layout of your system.
OK, I have scanned the dyno sheet. The Runfile_005 numbers were on my 19,000 mile engine that was otherwise stock except for a modified OEM airbox that I opened up the front. The Runfile_006 numbers are after the PI TC, EGR delete, JB headers and exhaust system were added and the S-AFC tuned on the dyno.

The system would only allow me to attach 1 file to this message so I will attach the images of the exhaust system in my next email.
Attached Thumbnails Header Update-sc400-dyno.jpg  
Old 12-15-05, 11:09 AM
Lvangundy

I doubt the transmission fluid type will have any affect on this issue. It's still just liquid or oil,, whatever. afterall.

I think it's the TC.
Old 12-15-05, 11:16 AM
TexasLex
Pole Position

Hmmm... this while an improvement is less that expected. Do you have any exhaust pictures? Do you have the dyno sheet in a postable form? Did you go with X or Y pipe? You say much wider and smoother can you be more specific. SRQ400 feels a DRAMATIC inprovement in power and torque on his 99. He has not dyno'd but the low speed on up is to him very different with much better throttle response through out. You also made many changes at once. I am interested in the layout of your system.
I stuck my camera under the car this morning and clicked some pics of the system, it is the best I could do until the car gets back on a lift.

Rear of cats back to just before X pipe
Attached Thumbnails Header Update-cats.jpg  

Last edited by SC & RX; 12-15-05 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Change
Old 12-15-05, 11:17 AM
TexasLex
Pole Position

Just after cats back to X pipe
Attached Thumbnails Header Update-cats-back-to-x-pipe.jpg  

Last edited by SC & RX; 12-15-05 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Change
Old 12-15-05, 11:18 AM
TexasLex
Pole Position

Next picture.
Magnaflow X pipe
Attached Thumbnails Header Update-x-pipe.jpg  

Last edited by SC & RX; 12-15-05 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-15-05, 11:18 AM
TexasLex
Pole Position

Next picture.
X pipe back to resonators
Attached Thumbnails Header Update-x-pipe-to-resonators.jpg  

Last edited by SC & RX; 12-15-05 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Change
Old 12-15-05, 11:22 AM
TexasLex
Pole Position

Next picture
Last picture - resonators back to mufflers
Attached Thumbnails Header Update-resonators-back-to-mufflers.jpg  

Last edited by SC & RX; 12-15-05 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Change
Old 12-15-05, 02:34 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

OK, I have scanned the dyno sheet. The Runfile_005 numbers were on my 19,000 mile engine that was otherwise stock except for a modified OEM airbox that I opened up the front. The Runfile_006 numbers are after the PI TC, EGR delete, JB headers and exhaust system were added and the S-AFC tuned on the dyno.

The system would only allow me to attach 1 file to this message so I will attach the images of the exhaust system in my next email.
Overall, very nice. I am not a fan of the Magnaflow X pipe but again, overall very nice.

The dyno chart has me puzzled. The torque and power curves especially down low do not add up. Since it shows MPH instead of RPM I have to guess at the RPM for the various speeds. Guessing 3000rpm at the beginning of the run shows a 10+hp advantage. 10hp at 3000rpm is 17.5tq and yet the graph shows nearly identical torque

Your peak power is up by 15rwhp but the power inprovement from there up is between 20 and 25rwhp to redline. If this is accurate the car will be and feel substantially faster.

Old 12-15-05, 02:50 PM
TexasLex
Pole Position

Overall, very nice. I am not a fan of the Magnaflow X pipe but again, overall very nice.

The dyno chart has me puzzled. The torque and power curves especially down low do not add up. Since it shows MPH instead of RPM I have to guess at the RPM for the various speeds. Guessing 3000rpm at the beginning of the run shows a 10+hp advantage. 10hp at 3000rpm is 17.5tq and yet the graph shows nearly identical torque

Your peak power is up by 15rwhp but the power inprovement from there up is between 20 and 25rwhp to redline. If this is accurate the car will be and feel substantially faster.

Thank you for analyzing the chart for me. I will have to ask the mechanic about running one with RPMs instead of MPH. The car is faster, however, I think the loudness of the current exhaust is masking some of the feeling of speed. I know this is contrary to what most people would feel, but I kind of cringe when I drive the car right now b/c it sounds like a high school kid's Camaro.

I read an article indicating that the designer of the Magnaflow X pipe patterned it after a Dart racing cylinder head design. The piece looks kind of chunky by itself, but once you see a nice shot of it from under the car you will see how well it actually integrates with the whole system - I was shocked by how good it looked.

Thanks again for making this a reality for me. I am still trying to figure out the vacuum line mystery - tried using an unlit "butane" match around the intake and spraying contact cleaner
on the fitting too but did not notice any big change in the motor's RPM. When I find where the hose goes and feel that it made the car more powerful I will get another dyno run made and then post it.
Old 12-16-05, 08:58 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SC & RX,
It is hard to see anythng on the chart.
If you e-mail me your dyno files I can post them with RPM and HP readings and easier to read chart..

www.gillti2@hotmail.com

They did a reallly nice job on your exhaust. It looks bigger than 2.25". I'm surprised that HP &TQ #'s were not higher. Do you know if it was dynoed in 3rd or 4th gear?

Last edited by GILLEXUS; 12-16-05 at 09:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Header Update