Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Review - Valve Body Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-05, 08:04 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What VB ungrades are you guys using? Seems like there was more than one (LevelTen, SRT?)
but don't remember for sure. Yeah, I know-do a search... Too lazy right now-maybe later!
I definitely am getting this done too, I 've had it done to other vehicles and loved it.
Old 10-13-05, 09:21 AM
Supraownzu
Driver

i see everyone posting up about gs400's, but is it the same VB as the 300. i'd like to get mine done, but dont know if my 300 VB will work or not. thanks for the input.
Old 10-13-05, 09:25 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FutureGS400
What VB ungrades are you guys using? Seems like there was more than one (LevelTen, SRT?)
but don't remember for sure. Yeah, I know-do a search... Too lazy right now-maybe later!
I definitely am getting this done too, I 've had it done to other vehicles and loved it.
Mine is a turboeast (www.turboeast.com)

Jonny
Old 10-13-05, 09:26 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Supraownzu
i see everyone posting up about gs400's, but is it the same VB as the 300. i'd like to get mine done, but dont know if my 300 VB will work or not. thanks for the input.
I know they make an electronic shift kit for the 300 but not sure about the VB. I do not believe the VB's are the same between the 300 and 400.

Jonny
Old 10-13-05, 01:09 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are not. Trannies are different.
Old 10-13-05, 06:08 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile more on VB upgrade

Originally Posted by LXOGOOD
Yeah, was that the price ($450-500) for the full job? Did they drop the valve body, do the upgrade and re-install it or did you have to bring them the valve body already dropped from the tranny. This is something I need to get done in the next month or so.

Thanks

Ken

Edit:: Lol, you just answered my questions in your post..
You could bring the Valve Body to them and I bet the charge would be less. I know with my car sitting there they put it back in a few times drove it around a bit and checked it out and then pulled it back out and tinkered with it some more . It really doesn't take them very long to take it out and put it back in. I guess when you do something enough it makes it look easy.

I know they were really interested in seeing the dyno sheet showing the graph so that they could figure shift points. They said that they thought they could even get it better if I left it there longer. But I live in Seattle and needed to get home. Just an 1100 mile drive. But check this I told them I might come back down next April and asked if they could tweak it some more without anymore charges and they said yes. I'm pretty happy with the way it is now. Andy one of the guys there even called me a week after I left and asked how it all was going. Thats when he said I could bring it back in next year if I want. He said they were going to be working on another GS400 the next week and that guy was leaving it there for at least a week . So he figured they would gain a lot of expertise with that one. The owner of the place is Art Carr and he is very famous in hot rodding circles and is in the Hod Rod Hall Of Fame

As you can tell I'm very high on this upgrade. Some people might not like how the shifts are.
If shifting with a snap upsets you don't do it. The stock tranny has a nice long slow cushy shift that appeals to a lot of people. I'm into acceleration not cush so I vote for the VB upgrade.

Ivan
Old 10-14-05, 10:56 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Art Carr has been doing performance and tranny stuff since way back when most of us were playing with Hot Wheels..........
Old 03-13-06, 10:22 PM
slowdiver
Lead Lap

Default CPT, XS, SRT, Level 10 or Turboeast VB upgrade??

hey guys....

since installing the 4.27 gears I have been having rev limiter issues.

I'm hoping that a VB upgrade will help solve the issue. I am also planning on going FI in the future so I might as well get this done.

can you guys give me some thoughts on who to go with? any updates since your last post?
are there differences in the VB upgrades other than cost?

it appears that Level 10 will now send you the upgrade first and then you can send them your core reducing downtime.

CPT also looks very legitimate and is very close to me.

any updates or comments...

thanks,

Dave
Old 03-13-06, 10:29 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

do valve body upgrades add HP or TQ or does it just "feel" like it makes a difference?
Old 03-13-06, 11:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Kharizma
do valve body upgrades add HP or TQ or does it just "feel" like it makes a difference?
it doesn't add power, but it makes shifting faster and more instant, rather than a comfortable smooth shift. if you do it right you gain quite a bit of time without jerking your car like crazy

i don't know where you can get it done, i have driven cars with vb upgrade through rmm, it's pretty damn nice

and btw, FI? you will definitely need to change out the 4.27 differential
Old 03-14-06, 03:10 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

VB upgrade is not guarranteed to fix teh rev limiter issues. Jamie And I both have upgraded VB's I have a built tranny and we both still get the rev limiter problem.

Dave is the only one I can think of off hand that has actually been able to resolve the issue. He wrote a lengthy post on it at one point.
Old 03-14-06, 06:52 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by slowdiver
hey guys....

since installing the 4.27 gears I have been having rev limiter issues.

I'm hoping that a VB upgrade will help solve the issue. I am also planning on going FI in the future so I might as well get this done.

can you guys give me some thoughts on who to go with? any updates since your last post?
are there differences in the VB upgrades other than cost?

it appears that Level 10 will now send you the upgrade first and then you can send them your core reducing downtime.

CPT also looks very legitimate and is very close to me.

any updates or comments...

thanks,

Dave

Dave,

I did everything I could possibly think of to stop hitting my limiter. I had the 3.76 in there and would get stuck on it in 1st to 2nd gear changes. I then went FI and it got even worse - it would just sit on the rev limiter. So, I got the VB upgrade and although it helped marginally, it did not help the problem.

So, I sold the 3.76 and have not hit the rev limiter once since. In short, the only way is to get that electronic shift kit mentioned in this thread and have a constant CEL, or else get rid of the gearing and go back to stock.

Jonny
Old 03-14-06, 07:18 AM
slowdiver
Lead Lap

I think I will go ahead with this anyway and eventually remove the 4.27 diff.

Will an ODB II faker eliminate the CEL light if I get that shift kit?

does anybody have any info though on the difference between the VB upgrades that are offered by each company?
Old 03-14-06, 07:28 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dx3
Dave,

I did everything I could possibly think of to stop hitting my limiter. I had the 3.76 in there and would get stuck on it in 1st to 2nd gear changes. I then went FI and it got even worse - it would just sit on the rev limiter. So, I got the VB upgrade and although it helped marginally, it did not help the problem.

So, I sold the 3.76 and have not hit the rev limiter once since. In short, the only way is to get that electronic shift kit mentioned in this thread and have a constant CEL, or else get rid of the gearing and go back to stock.

Jonny
Stock gears dont matter if you have FI, Jamie and I both have the stock gears and have the rev limiter issue.
Old 03-14-06, 07:31 AM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

is there a way to move the shift point to say 6200-6300 rpm to give the tranny time to shift before you hit redline? I think that would be better than bouncing off the rev limiter a couple times.

Quick Reply: Review - Valve Body Upgrade