Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Review - Valve Body Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-06, 08:05 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
Stock gears dont matter if you have FI, Jamie and I both have the stock gears and have the rev limiter issue.
Morris,

Well it helped me. I have stock gearing, FI, VB upgrade, TC and I no longer hit my rev limiter . When I had the 3.76 and all these mods I hit it constantly.

Jonny
Old 03-14-06, 08:06 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sockfocks
is there a way to move the shift point to say 6200-6300 rpm to give the tranny time to shift before you hit redline? I think that would be better than bouncing off the rev limiter a couple times.
Joe,

If you scroll through this thread there is a site that makes the electronic kit that you can set your gear changes/rpm redlione with. However, it makes your CEL go on. IO don't believe anyone has ventured with it yet.

Jonny
Old 03-14-06, 08:10 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I was really trying to say is that there is no consistent solution that solves the problem for everyone. You are right though gearing changes do help some people
Old 03-14-06, 01:14 PM
slowdiver
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those interested, I called Level 10 and they can now ship you out an upgraded VB FIRST for the GS4 and then you can send them back your core VB after install. However, their price seems to be a bit higher than the others out there.

The guy I spoke to said they do VB upgrades for Team Lexus.

http://www.levelten.com/pdf/grass_08_00_team_lexus.pdf

Last edited by slowdiver; 03-14-06 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-14-06, 01:21 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

AH HA...lol...maybe keep the switch in normal instead of power mode? Anyone try that?
Old 03-14-06, 01:36 PM
southtrian
Driver School Candidate

any help with my traction controll system ,light comes on when I hit the brakes even if I turn off the system does it need to be reset if codes are stored I was told that removal of battery cables for at least 1 hr will reset the system.
Old 03-14-06, 02:12 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sockfocks
AH HA...lol...maybe keep the switch in normal instead of power mode? Anyone try that?
Yup - tried it! Helps, but still hits.

Jonny
Old 03-14-06, 02:30 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by southtrian
any help with my traction controll system ,light comes on when I hit the brakes even if I turn off the system does it need to be reset if codes are stored I was told that removal of battery cables for at least 1 hr will reset the system.
Did you choose this thread for a particular reason to post this??

Find someone who has an OBD2 scanner to reset it for you.

Jonny
Old 03-14-06, 03:20 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hes new and probably doesnt know the proper forum decorum. 1 post..

Southtrain start a new thread and repost your question, I will respond in that thread.
Old 03-14-06, 03:33 PM
jp430
Driver

Originally Posted by Dx3
Dave,

I did everything I could possibly think of to stop hitting my limiter. I had the 3.76 in there and would get stuck on it in 1st to 2nd gear changes. I then went FI and it got even worse - it would just sit on the rev limiter. So, I got the VB upgrade and although it helped marginally, it did not help the problem.

So, I sold the 3.76 and have not hit the rev limiter once since. In short, the only way is to get that electronic shift kit mentioned in this thread and have a constant CEL, or else get rid of the gearing and go back to stock.

Jonny
How did it feel when you went back to stock??? How many pounds of boost did you have? Was it a huge difference when you went back to the stock gearing?
Old 03-14-06, 03:34 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slowdiver
For those interested, I called Level 10 and they can now ship you out an upgraded VB FIRST for the GS4 and then you can send them back your core VB after install. However, their price seems to be a bit higher than the others out there.

The guy I spoke to said they do VB upgrades for Team Lexus.

http://www.levelten.com/pdf/grass_08_00_team_lexus.pdf

I believe level 10 was the one contracted to do the VB upgrade once offered by Rod Millen Motorsport.

I have that original upgrades from RMM, the TC and 3.76 rear and I can tell you that I don't hit the rev limiter.

If they really do Team Lexus VB's I would give them some credibility. Also remember that if they worked with RMM on the original VB, they might already fined tuned the set it up to match with the 3.76 and the TC mod in mind. They also did the TC mod that Rod Millen Motorsport offered before as well.

Don't know if this is any clue towards a better chance of resolving the redline issue? I'd talk to level 10 and see if they are willing to assist with more information, especially knowing that historically, they have long term experience working with the GS tranny. RMM started selling the VB, TC and LSD mods a good 5+ years ago. They have since stopped selling, but all my gear is original from that time period.
Old 03-14-06, 03:55 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jp430
How did it feel when you went back to stock??? How many pounds of boost did you have? Was it a huge difference when you went back to the stock gearing?
JP,

To be honest I didn't really feel that much of a difference - I think mainly because I was not yet used to the supercharger. I was running about 8psi at the time.

It was definitely worth it for me - hitting the limiter made me very

Jonny
Old 03-14-06, 04:54 PM
slowdiver
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
I believe level 10 was the one contracted to do the VB upgrade once offered by Rod Millen Motorsport.

I have that original upgrades from RMM, the TC and 3.76 rear and I can tell you that I don't hit the rev limiter.

If they really do Team Lexus VB's I would give them some credibility. Also remember that if they worked with RMM on the original VB, they might already fined tuned the set it up to match with the 3.76 and the TC mod in mind. They also did the TC mod that Rod Millen Motorsport offered before as well.

Don't know if this is any clue towards a better chance of resolving the redline issue? I'd talk to level 10 and see if they are willing to assist with more information, especially knowing that historically, they have long term experience working with the GS tranny. RMM started selling the VB, TC and LSD mods a good 5+ years ago. They have since stopped selling, but all my gear is original from that time period.
thanks for the info bro......

I am going to give them the specifics of my set-up and see what they say.