Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS300 NA-T conversion in 4 hours

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-05, 11:32 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, it is all ebay stuff. No, the turbo does not clear the distributor. I think they made this to fit a VVTI. I also needed to make a 2" adapter to bolt the downpipe to the stock exhaust. It wasn't quite long enough. I am running a 50mm ebay wastgate, although I might downsize to a 40mm and use the 50mm for my drag truck. The 50mm just barely fits....and it might melt the boot on my rack and pinion...if the air chaimber gets hot enough. The dump tube doesn't even come close to working.

To take care of the dist problem, I am going to run an emanage ultimate and drop in a 7M CPS with either MSD coils or TT coils, not sure what I will use for the igniter yet. I guess the stock igniter won't work.

My intercooler gets here next week, so I may not be boosting before then. I will post numbers though.
The following users liked this post:
Gensc300 (03-09-23)
Old 11-11-05, 07:10 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil leak

Looking good so far. I would fix all the oil leaks before going F.I .
JPI
Old 11-12-05, 02:36 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

will be taking to the car wash for a high pressure engine wash. Then I can find my leaks and fix them. Got my spare motor ready for some TT turbo piston implants which will be going in early next year, also a SP built TT auto tranny.

Last edited by SuprRunner; 11-12-05 at 05:59 AM.
Old 11-12-05, 01:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Wow, impressive. Thanks so much for taking the pics and doing the write-up. That's a good edjication for me at least.
Old 11-13-05, 05:57 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

I got the wastegate hooked up yesterday and took the car out for a spin. I am boosting to at least 6 psi, I didn't have time to take it on the highway yet. I am using my GT67 off my drag truck until I decide what I want to go with. Lets just say that I don't think I will be going with a GT67. I can't even power brake to build up spool. I finally build boost around 4,000 RPM, but I don't have my exhaust opened up yet. It sure is nice to have a turbo again though. I have been having boost withdrawls for a couple years now. I will get some numbers within a couple weeks.
Old 11-18-05, 04:20 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

SuprRunner, its funny to see you on here. Im on POR alot and see you over there too.
I guess boost fiend's think alike
Old 11-18-05, 06:28 PM
jaymil31
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo gs300

hey

nice job on the turbo kit. I had my 95 gs300 turbo charged in Richmond, Canda last January time frame. My kit is all custom T-66 garrett dbb turbo, the works!!!!!!! Just to give you some helpful hint of advise rebuild your transmission. It will not take the abuse. Do the lower compression headgasket. These things are vital to performance not to mention the piggyback ecu for bigger injectors and more fuel. From my homework on the 2jz motor, all you need is lower compression headgasket. The na and tt motor have the same internals besides the piston and oil squirts. You waist money by changing internal just lower compression, with the higher compression pistons and a lower compression headgasket you get the best of both worlds. The lower compression headgasket allows you to apply more boost but the high compression pisons gives you low end torque at low boost pressure ( better turbo spool). With no tuning I got 360 rwhp and 353 pounds of torque. So keep it up, i hope to have my car on the sight soon

Last edited by jaymil31; 11-18-05 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-18-05, 06:40 PM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EG8
SuprRunner, its funny to see you on here. Im on POR alot and see you over there too.
I guess boost fiend's think alike

Oh yea, turbo's all the way. I had a dream the other day that I turbocharged a moped. That was a funny dream.
Old 11-18-05, 06:42 PM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jaymil31
hey

nice job on the turbo kit. I had my 95 gs300 turbo charged in Richmond, Canda last January time frame. My kit is all custom T-66 garrett dbb turbo, the works!!!!!!! Just to give you some helpful hint of advise rebuild your transmission. It will not take the abuse. Do the lower compression headgasket. These things are vital to performance not to mention the piggyback ecu for bigger injectors and more fuel. From my homework on the 2jz motor, all you need is lower compression headgasket. The na and tt motor have the same internals besides the piston and oil squirts. You waist money by changing internal just lower compression, with the higher compression pistons and a lower compression headgasket you get the best of both worlds. The lower compression headgasket allows you to apply more boost but the high compression pisons gives you low end torque at low boost pressure ( better turbo spool). With no tuning I got 360 rwhp and 353 pounds of torque. So keep it up, i hope to have my car on the sight soon

My engine has too many miles on it to just slap on a HG. I have a turbo bottem end that I am going to rebuild pretty soon. I also have a build tranny that needs a quick rebuild before it goes in. I have a map-ecu and I am tuning that right now. I just ran over the power cord on the laptop so I am done for the night...and until I get the cord fixed
Old 11-20-05, 03:35 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

How are things going with the GS? How are you running the turbo since it doesnt clear the dizzy, just with no filter? Since the map-ecu doesnt control the timing what are you using. I figure I am gonna go with the Ebay manifold and downpipe combo also. If the turbo I'm getting (PT61) doesnt clear the dizzy, then I will just reclock the turbo. Can you snap a picture of the intercooler once you get it put on? I wanna see how it looks .
Old 11-20-05, 06:32 PM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

I am actually using a rubber coupler from the turbo to a 3" pipe. I somewhat wraps around the distributor restricting airflow just a little bit, but I will probably cut the flange off the manifold and reposition it. Still have to clear the ABS box too. Although I can't seemed to get the thing to run right with either the stock AFM or the MAP ecu. I think I have some other problems I need to resolve first. It almost feels like I get no fuel between 3000-4000RPM at 0 psi, and above that it really starts to cut out like the ignition is breaking up. I will try to get these resolved next week. I shouldn't have sold my walbro fuel pumps.

I should get to the intercooler this week, along with the injectors and the rest of the exhaust. I just finished up the 3" to the y-pipe. I didn't realize there were to big fat resonators back there. Those will also be coming off this week. Anybody know how much the muffler restrict flow? I am going to have to wait on replacing those, at least until early next year. Got christmas coming up.

Last edited by SuprRunner; 11-20-05 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-20-05, 06:54 PM
bguild
Pole Position

well, I just picked up a 93 GS300. First thing I googled for was "turbo" - ha. Nice work! If you could post up what components you used, I'd be interested. -Brian
Old 11-20-05, 08:08 PM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ill be following this thread.
Old 11-20-05, 08:23 PM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

I used an ebay manifold that came with a 3" downpipe. I used an ebay 50mm HKS knockoff wastgate, although it is a very very tight fit, I would recommend going with a 40mm, I think they are a little smaller, or change the flange to a Tial wastegate as they are a little smaller. My turbo is a GT67, although they sell cheaper turbos on ebay, the superT61 and the superT70. I don't know how they will perform though. The oil supply and return lines I got from a local hydraulic hose shop, everything I needed cost me about $30, but all that is in my first couple posts.

My total cost is $350 for the parts and my turbo was $800, but you can get ebay turbos for around $400. By the time I get my IC installed with all the piping, I will be into it another $350.

Total cost is $1500, but could be $1100 with cheaper turbo.

With this setup you can get around 330RWHP.

Last edited by SuprRunner; 11-20-05 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-21-05, 11:58 AM
jaymil31
Driver

Default turbo gs300

hey
I had 139,000 miles on my motor when I decided to go turbo. I have the map-ecu set up.... and it needs to be dyno tuned for the obd 1 ecu. Just some advise use the auto learn function before you remove your maf set up to get your na part of your map done the you can tune from there. I had some issues with tuning it because the obd1 ecu is f*** stuburn. If anyone wants to see my set up:

www.turbotech.com
my gs300 turbo kit setup is right on the cover page and in the customers section ( green Gs300)

Quick Reply: GS300 NA-T conversion in 4 hours