Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

used supra lsd... what to do before install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-05, 10:30 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i never checked. it's sitting at the dealer right now.

the only way to know is to open it up, which i hope will be end of today. and then there will be no more guessing. nonetheless i'm very concerned.
Old 12-14-05, 01:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin T
i never checked. it's sitting at the dealer right now.

the only way to know is to open it up, which i hope will be end of today. and then there will be no more guessing. nonetheless i'm very concerned.
well opening it up will proof if it has lsd

but by spinning it i guess at least you can tell the ratio
Old 12-14-05, 02:37 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah Rom, that's kinda the gist of what I was saying. Its entirely feasible that he could have a 3.76 gear and a non LSD for all we know. Or a 3.42 non LSD. Or a stocker 3.23 and LSD.

Gotta check both things out. I checked mine and it is indeed the 3.76 but I didn't have the doubt that I would have with ol' Benjamin's diff.
Old 12-14-05, 05:07 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

i've justcome back from the mechanic.

it is a 3.76. BUT IT HAS NO LSD.

Old 12-14-05, 05:13 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kinda thought it wasn't going to be a lsd. Sorry to hear about that. At least its a 3.76 but if you install it, I'm sure you may have some issues with traction. So what are your plans now?
Old 12-14-05, 05:45 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

i do not want it. the whole purpose was to have an LSD.

i did not pay $1000+ (and climbing.... i just got my $160 brokerage/duty bill from UPS and the mechanic charged me $50 to open it up) for an open diff.

i've sent a pm with the pictures attached to synco357 and i'm waiting for a response.

if the worst happens, i'm not sure what to do. write negative feedback on this forum and ask the moderators for help. also i will have to contact paypal and see what course of action there is.

all this right before christmas. needless to say i'm really unhappy right now.
Old 12-14-05, 05:59 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

I hear ya...hopefully synco357 will take the unit back and refund your money...keep us informed
Old 12-14-05, 08:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

that's a bummer man.... for sure that's no lsd...

let's see what synco357 says first
Old 12-14-05, 08:40 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

What is the going rate for a 3.76 diff? $400? Ask for the difference back and buy yourself a TRD LSD for around $800 and install it into that pumpkin. Trust me, you do not want to ship that pumpkin anywhere. It's a pain in the butt to pack. It will cost alot and most likely get damaged before it gets delievered.
Old 12-14-05, 08:44 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by verylost
What is the going rate for a 3.76 diff? $400? Ask for the difference back and buy yourself a TRD LSD for around $800 and install it into that pumpkin. Trust me, you do not want to ship that pumpkin anywhere. It's a pain in the butt to pack. It will cost alot and most likely get damaged before it gets delievered.
i thought about that. $400 diff, $800 TRD lsd... $1200 total. figure another $400 to install the LSD in the diff including getting everything into the car... i don't have that kind of $$$ right now, and i haven't even factored in shipping/duties/taxes because i live in canada. i already lost $160+in duties/taxes/shipping, and another $50 for today so the financial damage is still climbing
Old 12-14-05, 11:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Benjamin T
i thought about that. $400 diff, $800 TRD lsd... $1200 total. figure another $400 to install the LSD in the diff including getting everything into the car... i don't have that kind of $$$ right now, and i haven't even factored in shipping/duties/taxes because i live in canada. i already lost $160+in duties/taxes/shipping, and another $50 for today so the financial damage is still climbing
400 bucks to install the trd lsd in the pumpkin and on the car? no way... it's VERY difficult to the lsd install and you need to get a good mechanic. here in cali, it could be 600 bucks easy
Old 12-15-05, 09:19 AM
synco357
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3.76 Lsd

I have sold quite a few LSD`s to members on this forum and I must say that my intentions are always in good faith. I can asure that, that is a 3.76 LSD because i have the same exact complete setup in my car. Furthermore, that`s what i was advise from the japanese supplier at the time of purchased. I was a little concern myself as to the difference in the appearance but like i stated before in the earlier PM the 93-96 Auto LSD with the heated fins are from the American models. The 96-98 JDM models looks like the stock rear end in our cars. The 97-98 Auto have the 3.76 but they are open diff`s. In regard to the oil leak. there was none when i dropped it off at UPS. I stated earlier that I don`t like shipping with UPS because of this same very reason. If something was damaged in shipping I`ll file a claim on your behalf. I have always ship rear ends in the same reinforced boxs so I don`t know how yours became so torn.

I have you phone number so i`ll call you later on tonight to clarify

Thanks,
Andre

Last edited by synco357; 12-15-05 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-15-05, 09:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i noticed you sold couple of units to people, however pics are pics, they can't lie. that could be a 3.76 unit but for sure not lsd. that's just an open differential. supra lsd are torsen type, and you need to have worm type gears to achieve that. i don't see that in the pics. the housing MIGHT be different, but opening up a torsen 3.76 lsd unit and i am sure it will look different.

just my 2 cents
Old 12-15-05, 09:36 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

the oil leak was from the breather. this was because it was upside down. i do not recall asking about filing a claim.

my problem right now is that i paid for a supra 3.76 diff with an LSD. what i got clearly has no LSD. fins or no fins, it does not matter now since now i have had it opened up and confirmed 100% there is no LSD in it, which was the whole point of buying this thing.

all i am looking for now is either a replacement or a refund and i will send this one back to you.

i answered your email andre, thanks for getting back to me. i am in the office until 1500hrs PST if you want to reach me. you have my number.
Old 12-15-05, 09:39 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

this is a pic pearlpower on this board took of his supra lsd:

the worm gear is clearly seen in the middle. as you can see in the pic i posted of what i have, it clearly shows there is no worm gear.

Quick Reply: used supra lsd... what to do before install?