Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

used supra lsd... what to do before install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-05, 10:02 AM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by synco357
I can asure that, that is a 3.76 LSD because i have the same exact complete setup in my car.
I have always ship rear ends in the same reinforced boxs so I don`t know how yours became so torn.
Thanks,
Andre
I have to concur with Rom and Benj. The unit is obviously not a Torsen-type, worm-gear rear-end. (fin or no fin)
SYNC, you need to get away from stating "it has to be LSD because it's exactly what I have". I mean, there's just no commen sense in that statement. Why do you think you have an LSD, what DATA makes you think this? Just because the unit Benjamin has "looks" like yours is not any proof whatsoever.

And, the comment on the box is pretty weak too. Mine came in a basic cardboard box, with a single piece of cardboard on top of the unit, and with a BUNCH of balled up newspaper in it. You call that "re-inforced"? I just don't get it.

All in all, I'd like to see you guys work this out. IMHO, right now, you bear the burden of proof and expenses. Not trying to be harsh, that's just business at a professional level and up until this unit, you've had a good record going. I'm hoping you keep it up.

Allan
Old 12-15-05, 10:09 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think i need to summarize some of the things that were discussed above.

synco357 uses fedex. unfortunately i had to ask for UPS because fedex requires canadian receivers (ie. me) to deal with brokerage on their own, which is ugly. synco357 was gracious enough to help me with customs paperwork for UPS when i asked him for help in that matter.

while the diff was in transit i started this post to get more info on how to get it ready because the mechanic i normally go to is on christmas holidays until after the new year.

when UPS delivered the diff, the packaging was torn, and there was oil leaking from the breather. i had thought it was damaged, not knowing what the breather was, but it was later established that the diff was sitting upside down in the box which caused the oil to leak out the breather. turning the diff back over so that the breather faced upwards resolved that.

when i got the diff i posted pics here. that's when the question came up as to whether it was an LSD or not because of the lack of fins. i pm'd synco357 about this and i was told that it was a jdm unit from a 96, and that they did not have fins, and it looked the same as the one synco357 has in his own GS, which he says has an LSD in it.

at the urgings of everyone else, i've been spending several days trying to find a mechanic to help me open it up because i lacked the proper tools.

now it's finally open.

there is no LSD.

and so here i am

i know some of you are saying i should be taking harsher action, but i hoping for a more peaceful resolution to this because he has a good reputation on this board, which is why i bought from him. i've had some contact with davegs4, the classifieds moderator already. everything right now is dependent on what synco357 will do. as stated earlier, he has had good feedback on this board and has been a member for several years.

Last edited by Benjamin T; 12-15-05 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-15-05, 11:15 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

w/regards to the paypal "grace period", paypal only allows a maximum of 45 calendar days to file a dispute claim. anything after that is not accepted. it has been i think 22 days already, hence my growing concern and increasing haste regarding immediate resolution.
Old 12-15-05, 01:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ok, before this gets worse and peanut gallery start to cut in crazy, let me just states couple of things. ben has posted his info and pics, and andre is obviously aware of the situation as well. several members have also provided their opinions on the situations. so for now, let's just leave it to the seller and buyer to try to resolve this. none of us here can really do much more to help at this point, and more comments might only make things worse.

ben, i think for now just try to communicate with andre in pm first about the issue and see how it could be resolved. try not to post everything here yet (especially private conversation).

and andre, i would suggest you do your best to talk to ben as well. i know davegs4 is aware of the situation so i want to gaurantee you guys communications shouldn't be a problem.

lastly i want to apologize to andre and ben as well. i here warn about peanut gallery but i was one of them with my post this morning as well. so my apology. i don't want to close this thread so other members please stay out of the issue between the buyer and the seller for now.

thank you for your coorporation
Old 12-15-05, 02:45 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

thanks for the help/input everyone. i've been here on this board for only a short time compared to many here but a lot of you took great lengths to help me out here and privately... but please don't close this thread romini.

when i first started this thread it was not intended to become this. all i wanted to know was servicing requirements. had it not been other listmembers who indicated from my posted pics that something was wrong and presented me with info, i would have blindly installed the diff not knowing any better until the inopportune moment that i would have needed the lsd only to find out there was none to begin with.
Old 12-16-05, 07:37 PM
synco357
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Supra LSD

Since this issue has become common knowledge on the forum, I feel obligated to provide this final update. Benjamin and I spoke this evening and I agreed to first try to replace his rear-end with the Supra Torson style (worm gears) he prefers. I agreed to do this even though it will likely result in additional costs to me. I will work with my supplier to find a replacement. If I am unable to do so within two weeks after receiving the original rear-end from Benjamin, I assured Benjamin that I will refund his money in full.

Andre Sinclair
Old 12-16-05, 11:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

thank you for the update andre, appreciate it.
Old 12-22-05, 05:51 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

latest update:

i had shipped last saturday using UPS after being told by UPS that it would be delivered friday. but today i was in contact with UPS and was told it was delayed and would not be delivered until next wednesday. i apologize for this.

i am away for holidays for the next 2 weeks. i have no email or telephone access during this time, but i will have limited internet usage so if anyone needs to reach me you can PM me here.

thanks everyone.
Old 01-24-06, 06:53 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

last update...

i had a massive snafu on my side, involving the UPS store i shipped from messing up the paperwork. combining this with the holidays, it ended up being delivered to andre more than a week late

andre dealt with the supplier who gave me the wrong diff and arranged for a replacement. it arrived well packaged in a double-walled box . the replacment unit was in very good shape and the supplier opened it up this time and confirmed that the unit DEFINITELY had an LSD.

different case this time (finned)::

(worm gear peeking through opening)

in conclusion, andre made things right.

thanks andre

Last edited by Benjamin T; 01-25-06 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-24-06, 07:16 PM
GoFaSSter
Driver

It is good to hear that things came out well. I am glad you reported back. The way this whole thing was handled says a lot for both of you.
Old 01-24-06, 07:18 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Good to see my post was of some help and that everything worked out. Enjoy the LSD, you will enjoy the difference it makes along with the gearing.
Old 01-24-06, 07:19 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happy ending Now it's time to get that unit installed and have some fun
Old 01-24-06, 09:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

i am glad that everything works out fine!!!
Old 01-27-06, 10:26 PM
STRONG SC
Lead Lap

Glad it all worked out fine, now can you show up a burn out!!! heheh
Old 01-28-06, 11:00 PM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this RMM unit or should I have it opened up??

Let me know what ya think.

Originally Posted by Benjamin T
were there different casings over the years? as i was searching for info i found this pic of a new supra tt lsd:

and this is BA_GS400's unit, who bought from synco357 also:

this was taken from one of TLW's old threads:

gs diff on the left, supra lsd on the right.

they all look different... what am i missing here?
Attached Thumbnails used supra lsd... what to do before install?-lsd1-1-_1-smll.jpg  

Quick Reply: used supra lsd... what to do before install?