Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Header Install HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-05, 05:11 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Header Install HELP

Tomorrow, a friend and I are going to put the headers on my 99 GS4.

I had *THOUGHT* that Gawd or someone had written up a bit of an installation step-by-step post with pictures but now I can't seem to find it. Am I losing it or what???

I DID notice that we are missing all threads prior to the end of October, so, maybe it was one of those threads. I'm not really sure.

I have read the current threads here though and copied down the few tips and pics that I've seen.

Does anyone else have, or remember, a "how to" for the header install?
Old 11-25-05, 06:20 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the condensed header thread. It listed tips for easier install. Do you have access to a lift/tranny jack/engine hoist? This is definitely not a diy. The most difficult part of install is acutally taking the headers off because of the shields. There's not a lot of room. The install of the headers themselves is much easier.
Old 11-25-05, 08:33 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks man, I know I've seen you're posting in the threads quite a bit.

I've got all the tips from that thread that there was to get, and I copied 12 or so pictures too. I guess I was just thinking I had seen something more step-by-step.

I'm no stranger to some heavy duty, all day (weekend) long wrenching. It'll be fun.
Old 11-25-05, 08:39 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

Not a problem. The tips listed with pics is pretty much all that's available. Make sure that there is a good seal between the cats and headers. I had a little trouble with mine. Good luck.
Old 11-26-05, 09:12 AM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

This question is a little premature, but, as things are being put back together...will it be obvious if I don't have a good header - Catalyst matchup?

I was thinking that it's a bit cramped in there, and that it may be hard to tell unless the engine is fired up.
Old 11-26-05, 09:55 AM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

You'll definitely be able to tell if there's a leak. You can hear the exhaust leak. Take the car out for a test drive after install and listen for any leaks when flooring the car.
Old 11-26-05, 10:01 AM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

lol! well, heheh, that's what I was hoping to avoid! It'd be nice to know during assembly!

I'm starting now, taking video and foot-notes as well for others.
Old 11-26-05, 12:04 PM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Check the welds on the headers too, make sure its not missing any spots.
Old 11-26-05, 04:31 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Hollywood
Check the welds on the headers too, make sure its not missing any spots.
What inspired this post? Are you aware of any welding issues? I have not. Quite the contrary the assembly appears very sturdy.

Regarding the contact, make certain to tighten the bolts slowly in a rotating fashion so the gasket gets compressed evenly. If you tighten one bolt all the way the part will not be flush. Bring the nuts up until the flange is evenly touching the gasket all around. Then turn each 1/2 then move to the next and so on until it squeezes the gasket evenly between the two flanges.
Old 11-26-05, 07:04 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by trbopooh
Not a problem. The tips listed with pics is pretty much all that's available. Make sure that there is a good seal between the cats and headers. I had a little trouble with mine. Good luck.
Originally Posted by jbrady
Regarding the contact, make certain to tighten the bolts slowly in a rotating fashion so the gasket gets compressed evenly. If you tighten one bolt all the way the part will not be flush. Bring the nuts up until the flange is evenly touching the gasket all around. Then turn each 1/2 then move to the next and so on until it squeezes the gasket evenly between the two flanges.

Well, I have to say that personally believe that there was a problem with the catalysts matching the headers as 1 or 2 others have mentioned.

The problem seens simple to see, but, different people would want to solve it in different ways.
I have a few pics to show it, but they are not hosted so I can't put them up here.

Basically, it's as described in another thread. The little metal lip on the catalyst did not seem to go into the inside of the header collector that 1/16 - 1/8 of an inch as you would expect it should. (it does this with the stock exhaust manifold)
The collector pipe probably could/should have either been cut at the same angle as the header/collector flange was welded (to match the stock exhaust), or, since that collector flange is so thick, the collector could have been made about 1/8th of an inch shorter, keeping the flange welding in the same place.

Am I complaining? Heck no, but maybe they can correct it for future runs of this header. I'm just glad to HAVE headers. (Thanks JB) This problem is solveable, and without too much effort too.
A little dremel or grinder action and I'll be all set, using the stock copper gasket.

Last edited by BA_GS400; 11-26-05 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-27-05, 07:44 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BA_GS400
Well, I have to say that personally believe that there was a problem with the catalysts matching the headers as 1 or 2 others have mentioned.

The problem seens simple to see, but, different people would want to solve it in different ways.
I have a few pics to show it, but they are not hosted so I can't put them up here.

Basically, it's as described in another thread. The little metal lip on the catalyst did not seem to go into the inside of the header collector that 1/16 - 1/8 of an inch as you would expect it should. (it does this with the stock exhaust manifold)
The collector pipe probably could/should have either been cut at the same angle as the header/collector flange was welded (to match the stock exhaust), or, since that collector flange is so thick, the collector could have been made about 1/8th of an inch shorter, keeping the flange welding in the same place.

Am I complaining? Heck no, but maybe they can correct it for future runs of this header. I'm just glad to HAVE headers. (Thanks JB) This problem is solveable, and without too much effort too.
A little dremel or grinder action and I'll be all set, using the stock copper gasket.
Your post is well intentioned but will probably confuse most.

I have addressed this before but I will do it again here in detail.

Lexus uses a gasket at both ends of the cats one at the 3 bolt flanges and one at the 2 bolt flanges.

On the header to cat flange the gasket is a compressible ring gasket that is 75mm O.D. 62mm I.D. and 4mm thick. The stock parts have a 2mm recess on the cat flange and the exhaust manifold flange. The ring fits into those mirrored recesses forming the gasket seal.

The process to machine a recess into the header flange is costly on small run items. It adds cost in both machining time/labor and in logistics time. Would it be nice to have? Sure. Is it worth an extra $50-100 to have? Arguable. Is not having it critical in any way? No.

You can choose among several different ways to install under these circumstances.

You can do as I suggest above and take care to tighten the 3 bolts progressively as to evenly compress the gasket and the flange assembly. Doing so will seal the joint and work fine. This is how gawd had his installed and how I intend to install mine.

You could grind the gasket down as one member did.

You could remove the gasket and use ultra copper as some suggest will work as exhaust gasket maker. I have NOT tried this so I am only listing it as an option.

Have a conventional gasket cut to fit.

Personally as stated I will go with the first choice.
Old 11-27-05, 08:08 AM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

You'll notice that at no time did I mention a problem with the copper GASKET, nor the gasket recess of any part.
Old 11-27-05, 08:11 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BA_GS400
You'll notice that at no time did I mention a problem with the copper GASKET, nor the gasket recess of any part.
Then maybe I misunderstood you. Are you suggesting that there is some different problem?

Are you saying that the metal tube that protrudes from the catalyst itself does not fit inside the header flange 2.5" hole?

Are you saying the flange angle is off on your headers?

What do you suggest grinding or re-welding?

Last edited by JBrady; 11-27-05 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-27-05, 01:32 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jbrady
Are you saying that the metal tube that protrudes from the catalyst itself does not fit inside the header flange 2.5" hole?
Well, that is fairly accurate. Size-wise, it would fit inside the flange. it will not fit "inside" the actual collector pipe though. (I wouldn't expect it to)
The collector pipe comes deep enough through the thick flange, that it prevents the catalyst tube from going inside the flange just that little bit that (I think)it needs. It probably would have given way under the even torqueing of the nuts, but I didn't want it to be a hinderence to the gasket.

I'll try to post the pictures and my fix tonight.

Last edited by BA_GS400; 11-27-05 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-28-05, 03:24 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Default Stock Catalytic Convertor

Stock Catalytic Convertor - NOTICE THE SMALL LIP/TUBE THAT STICKS OUT THE TOP BEYOND THE FLANGE.
Attached Thumbnails Header Install HELP-1-gs400-catalyst-tube-lip.jpg  

Last edited by BA_GS400; 11-28-05 at 08:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Header Install HELP