Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Still hitting the limiter

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-05, 07:11 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well just keep in mind I have the stock gears and still have the issue, currently I can just lift off when I start boucning and it will shift but it is a pain.
Old 11-29-05, 07:36 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
Well just keep in mind I have the stock gears and still have the issue, currently I can just lift off when I start boucning and it will shift but it is a pain.
Yah, but you push a little more HP than most do... my theory is there is a increasing problem above 375 rwhp with the stock gears
Old 11-30-05, 06:26 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Yah, but you push a little more HP than most do... my theory is there is a increasing problem above 375 rwhp with the stock gears
Dave,

I was getting this before I was FI. This was running the 3.76 and the 2800 TC.

(Side note - made a poll - if everyone could help me by voting)

Morris - I didn't know you has stock gearing and were still hitting your limiter

Jonny
Old 11-30-05, 06:31 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
Dave,

I was getting this before I was FI. This was running the 3.76 and the 2800 TC.

(Side note - made a poll - if everyone could help me by voting)

Morris - I didn't know you has stock gearing and were still hitting your limiter

Jonny

Yep Jonny, that's a well discussed issue with I'd guess 15% of those that upgrade to the 3.76 gears. Adding the FI only exacerbated the situation for you.

You might post a WTT with someone who has stock gears and a TRD LSD in the classifieds... might find someone who planned on going FI that never did that would like a little extra kick from the gears.
Old 11-30-05, 07:00 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There's only 3 options for you to get rid of the rev limiter problem, ecspecially when running FI.

1) use the tranny controller previously discussed in this thread......I have heard nothing but good feedback on it. I was going to use it myself before I went another direction. Who cares if you have a CEL light, take the bulb out, problem soved. If you could have seen the lights I had on after running waht I have int he car. I have about 10 dash bulbs sitting in my center console that I have removed.

2) tranny swap to 5 or 6 speed

3) tranny swap to a TH400 tranny with gear vendor overdrive unit (no electronics to run the tranny).......its also bulletproof.

Option 2 and 3 are rediculously expensive (7 grand plus), so really option 1 is the only feasible option for most.

Changing gear ration , stall, etc., is just a band aid fix in my mind......go with the controller.
Old 11-30-05, 07:09 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TTurboPimp
There's only 3 options for you to get rid of the rev limiter problem, ecspecially when running FI.

1) use the tranny controller previously discussed in this thread......I have heard nothing but good feedback on it. I was going to use it myself before I went another direction. Who cares if you have a CEL light, take the bulb out, problem soved. If you could have seen the lights I had on after running waht I have int he car. I have about 10 dash bulbs sitting in my center console that I have removed.

2) tranny swap to 5 or 6 speed

3) tranny swap to a TH400 tranny with gear vendor overdrive unit (no electronics to run the tranny).......its also bulletproof.

Option 2 and 3 are rediculously expensive (7 grand plus), so really option 1 is the only feasible option for most.

Changing gear ration , stall, etc., is just a band aid fix in my mind......go with the controller.
My worry with removing the CEL or it always being on is that I won't ever know if there is a problem with the car Kinda scary!! But yeah, apart from that the controller seems pretty cool.

$850 is pretty steep though

Jonny
Old 12-01-05, 06:29 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody have experience with Race Logic?

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthr...ght=race+logic
Old 12-03-05, 02:56 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by trbopooh
Does anybody have experience with Race Logic?

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthr...ght=race+logic
I emailed the guy about it but from what I read it was saying for 4 and 6 cylinders

Jonny
Old 12-24-05, 01:20 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I might be able to offer some input that may help. I did thorough research about the PI TC's and the LSD before making my move. I notice there are problems with CEL's and Rev Limiter on the TC upgrade. I installed the 3.76 LSD first and ran it for 6 months (no problems) then added my TC - I've had my TC installed for over 3 years and knock on wood - I never saw these issues. I believe that largely on my success of not running into these problem is from talking to Todd at TM Engineering in CA. He said "He actually had to put in different spec TC's (Same Dragon TC from PI) than those order from Carson Toyota and SRT where most people were buying from. I believe Todd had figured out the right stall for our cars running 3.76 LSD's since he has installed TC's adjusted to his Spec from Trial and Error on all his customer's cars. I decided to order from him since he was so knowledgeable about these problems concering PI TC's. Maybe you can swap another TC with his specs or have yours re-stalled to his specs.

You should maybe call him or PM him - he's a CL member (DoubleWhoosh).

Regards,
Don
Old 12-24-05, 08:57 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
I might be able to offer some input that may help. I did thorough research about the PI TC's and the LSD before making my move. I notice there are problems with CEL's and Rev Limiter on the TC upgrade. I installed the 3.76 LSD first and ran it for 6 months (no problems) then added my TC - I've had my TC installed for over 3 years and knock on wood - I never saw these issues. I believe that largely on my success of not running into these problem is from talking to Todd at TM Engineering in CA. He said "He actually had to put in different spec TC's (Same Dragon TC from PI) than those order from Carson Toyota and SRT where most people were buying from. I believe Todd had figured out the right stall for our cars running 3.76 LSD's since he has installed TC's adjusted to his Spec from Trial and Error on all his customer's cars. I decided to order from him since he was so knowledgeable about these problems concering PI TC's. Maybe you can swap another TC with his specs or have yours re-stalled to his specs.

You should maybe call him or PM him - he's a CL member (DoubleWhoosh).

Regards,
Don
Don,

By chance do you know what stall speed he set it at? Thank you,

Jonny
Old 12-24-05, 09:16 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had both 2600 and 2800 rpm stall speed and the problem remained.
Old 12-24-05, 10:49 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dx3
Don,

By chance do you know what stall speed he set it at? Thank you,

Jonny
Its been awhile since I thought about the stall speed - Don't hold me on this but I believe its set at 2650. You should contact Todd, his screen name on CL is (Doublewhoosh) to confirm the stall speed. He's a really great guy - I'm sure he won't mind helping you. He's also a CL Sponsor. I bought my Daziens sways and numerous other parts from him. I'm very satisfy with everything I received from him.

Or you can call his shop:

TM Engineering LLC
1129 E. Dominguez Street, Suite B
Carson, CA 90746
(310) 537-6800

Don
Old 12-24-05, 07:24 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Its been awhile since I thought about the stall speed - Don't hold me on this but I believe its set at 2650. You should contact Todd, his screen name on CL is (Doublewhoosh) to confirm the stall speed. He's a really great guy - I'm sure he won't mind helping you. He's also a CL Sponsor. I bought my Daziens sways and numerous other parts from him. I'm very satisfy with everything I received from him.

Or you can call his shop:

TM Engineering LLC
1129 E. Dominguez Street, Suite B
Carson, CA 90746
(310) 537-6800

Don
Don,

This is interesting as Morris was still hitting his with the 2600 stall speed.

I am getting my 3.76 removed as we speak so we will see if that helps. I am hoping the VB upgrade will shift fast enough so that I am not hitting the limiter. Will keep everyone posted.

Jonny
Old 12-25-05, 09:15 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Default Problem solving

Sounds like something is definitely wrong, did you see how the TC or LSD installed? The reason I asked is that the bolts and some parts are to be re-installed in the same order they are removed.. Its quite intricate and scary if you don't know what you are doing - its not simply bolt-on. It takes precision by a Master Lexus Technician.. I believe this because I watched mine being installed and took pictures.. Unless you are sure its installed properly then take other measures. You should re-check the work done on your car before looking at other alternative avenues for fixing the problem. Logically speaking - IF more people have TC and LSD and have no problems and only a select few (non-FI) have problems then you should reflect back on who and how your TC and/or LSD was installed.. Just some thoughts that might be helpful since when you travel down the path of modding cars you have to think about everything and all its angles.

Regards,
Don
Old 12-29-05, 06:43 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,378 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Cal Jack at 1800 UNICHIP. A programed Unichip can fix this. The Engine also Retarts during shifts to make smoother shift. A upgraded TC or Valve body does not correct this. Give him a try.

Quick Reply: Still hitting the limiter