Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Split Second......Hmmmm?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-05, 09:39 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Split Second......Hmmmm?????

I went to Rod Millen and asked about alternatives to the Apexi SAFC to tune the GS with and they told me that they had success on the Lexus V8 from split second. Has anyone heard or have experience with them? BTW, who's gs is in the pictures? Roenick???

http://www.splitsec.com/spike/lexus/spikelexus.htm
Old 11-29-05, 03:27 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by trbopooh
I went to Rod Millen and asked about alternatives to the Apexi SAFC to tune the GS with and they told me that they had success on the Lexus V8 from split second. Has anyone heard or have experience with them? BTW, who's gs is in the pictures? Roenick???

http://www.splitsec.com/spike/lexus/spikelexus.htm
Is this just like the SAFC in that you cannot control timing etc? Do they do anything with a standalone?

Jonny
Old 11-29-05, 04:45 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some of their units do do timing also.
Lextreme has used one in an older 1uz and had good results his 1uz is different from the 1uz in the GS . I think he said it was only good for 14 pounds of boost.

I also spoke with split second this past summer they told me that they did have it installed in a GS400 but that they had to remove it because they had tuning problems. He said they could probably get it to work but that it would require some tuning and what not. Perhaps since then they have gotten it to work properly

I figured if it was an easy fix they would have done it
Old 11-29-05, 05:01 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

I've registered over at lextreme.com and found a member Red Supra trying to make an aem ems work with the 1uz motor. I think they used the basic aem ems with a 2jz harness since it was similar to the 1uz. I don't know if he got it to work or not.
Old 11-29-05, 05:46 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Split Second makes good stuff, have been using them for a few years; very reliable.
Old 11-29-05, 05:59 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

Hi SCV8,

What model car do you have? I'm curious because even if someone does get the aem ems to work with the older 1uz motors, it might not work with the newer 1uz with vvti. Lextreme was running a split sec ecu (i think the tm-1), but is going to use a flashed ecu from austrailia.
mike
Old 11-29-05, 06:03 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

They have already gotten the AEM universal to work with the current GS400's.

Toyomoto offered to rig up and AEM for me in my 98 GS400, what they do is keep the stock ecu and then rig up the AEM to handle the fuel and timing
Old 11-29-05, 06:07 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

Hi morris,

Did Toyomoto wire the aem to run piggyback style or standalone? I've read that the 1uz harness is 95% similar to the 2jz except that they had to flip some pins to get it to connect. I didn't know that they already had one working for a GS. Did they say how much they were going to charge you? Very interesting...

Mike
Old 11-29-05, 06:08 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

http://lextreme.com/forums/search.php?searchid=42961

Morris,
Your car running now? I have been reaching 18 psi in my LS400. Turbo is smoking a little and dont want to pay for professional tuning. No dyno...yet.... However broke a tranny two weeks ago.
Old 11-29-05, 06:13 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

Hi Lextreme,

Do you think the split sec will work with the vvti V8? Morris said he spoke to split sec and they said they had issues with a GS and had to remove the unit.

Mike
Old 11-29-05, 06:14 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

BTW, here's Red Supra's thread on Lextreme.com on the aem ems:

http://lextreme.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=aem+ems
Old 11-29-05, 06:18 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

I'm not positive what you mean by piggyback style or standalone. But if I recall correctly I got the impression that the AEM was the sole control of the fuel and timing. All other vehicle functions were maintained by the oem ecu.

If I recall I think the number he mentioned was 2K that included the computer and tuning.

Yea the car is running now although it is a bit lean, I am putting in a new fuel pump and regulator this weekend. I've been shaking it down at 8psi and it feels pretty strong. After that and a few more miles I will turn up the boost to about 14 psi or less, basically whatever it takes to hit the 500rwhp number. Ive broken a lot of stuff too but unlike you I dont want to fix anything more so I am not going to push it.
Old 11-29-05, 06:36 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

The Apexi SAFC (II) that most SC people are running is piggyback (only a few wires to connect) that tricks the stock ecu into adding or subtracting fuel. A standalone like aem ems, hks f con, motec, etc. have many many wires to connect to different sensors and control fuel/timing independently of stock ecu. It also allows users to get rid of the maf/control additional injectors/select hi and low boost settings/control nitrous. 2K for the aem ems installed and tuned as a standalone is probably a pretty good deal.
Old 11-29-05, 06:39 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

AEM still have long way to go and 2k for the GS400 AEM is little over price. Contact www.splitsec.com and ask for Mark (the owner) and tell him what u want. He can make u anything you want. If you browse lextreme.com/forum and you will see some graphs and programmable parameters.

I have been playing around with the R4 controller (the software that split second (FTC1) uses) and i dont see why Vvti would be a problem. What is your plan. Turbo? NOS? Supercharger and boost level. If you going to run MAF, the 16 psi is the programmable cells. However, you can running higher boost then 16 psi. Anything after 16 psi would fuel and timing will based on 16 psi. For example if i run 20 psi, then 16 psi parameters will be use.

The biggest benefit of this unit i like is timing. I am retarding 1 degree per psi starting from 3k rpm and above.
Old 11-29-05, 06:52 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

I guess I was a little vague, I know the difference I didnt know what was meant by hooking up a standalone AEM like a piggyback. No problem though

Originally Posted by trbopooh
The Apexi SAFC (II) that most SC people are running is piggyback (only a few wires to connect) that tricks the stock ecu into adding or subtracting fuel. A standalone like aem ems, hks f con, motec, etc. have many many wires to connect to different sensors and control fuel/timing independently of stock ecu. It also allows users to get rid of the maf/control additional injectors/select hi and low boost settings/control nitrous. 2K for the aem ems installed and tuned as a standalone is probably a pretty good deal.

Quick Reply: Split Second......Hmmmm?????