Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

problems with SRT install

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-05, 02:55 PM
harrym
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems with SRT install

I'm a new forum member and this is my first post. If I posted in the wrong area, please move to the correct one.
A buddy and I just installed an SRT intake on my 2001 GS 430. We looked over the wiring job several times compared to the diagram and just can't see why it isn't working. The car starts O.K. but the check engine light, VSC and VSC OFF lights come on. And at 3000 rpm it starts to buck badly.
Sent an e-mail to SRT and will try calling again Monday . Hoping someone here could give us an idea where to look.
Any help appreciated.

harrym
Las Vegas
Old 12-05-05, 02:57 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ideally if you have a code reader to see what is setting off the error code. MAF sensor? TPS sensor?
Could be several things,
1 -Re-check your green and orange wire from your SRT ecu unit they may be switched. Does it idle and rev normal below 3,000 rpm?
2- Try unplugging your battery and reset your ECU and see if your CEL ( Check Engine Light) goes off.
3-May be as simple as MAF sensor messed when you re-installed it

Can you take a close up pic of your wiring you did of the ECU??
Old 12-05-05, 05:03 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Harry,

One other thing to check (happened to me once when I had my SRT intake) the MAF could have been plugged into the intake upside down.
Old 12-05-05, 05:45 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Also, just to verify. You did cut just one wire right?

Jonny
Old 12-05-05, 07:09 AM
harrym
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the assist. Might as well get into the rest of the sorry story. I saw the unit on e-bay and thought I'd save a few bucks and picked it up. The instructions that came with it were very sparse, so I contacted the seller a couple of times for clarification. Here's what he had to say;

"the vacuum can be left off, it is filter restriciton gauge and measures when the stock air filter is dirty, so you dont need it anymore.
As for the wires you cut them compltely and make connecitons not a Y conenction. "

So we cut the wires. And of course that didn't work. Can't imagine how this guys car even ran.
Got the correct diagram from SRT (I know, I should have thought of that in the first place) and put the wires back together, making sure only the one that was supposed to be cut through was.

It starts and seems to idle O.K. below 3000.
I unplugged the battery but the CEL (as well as VSC) stays on.
MAF is rightside up.

I talked to LasVegasGS last night and he will try to swing by to look at. I can take pics of the wiring then if we can't resolve the problem. Hoping it's just one wire that's off somewhere.
Old 12-05-05, 08:51 AM
BC-GS430
Lexus Test Driver

The ecu could be fried if the guy connected it wrong, same thing happened to a friend of mine when he bought his used. We ended up taking my working SRT Ecu and installing in his car and the lights disappeared, everything worked fine. Contact SRT and see if they will replace it.
Old 12-05-05, 08:56 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

It is risky splicing ecu wires. No room for error. That is why i passed on getting that mod. There are other alternatives to putting more power to the ground. Good luck.
Old 12-05-05, 09:58 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

did you get the SRT instructions for the GS430? Or the GS400? Make sure its for the GS430.

for some reason, Im guessing its the wiring thats causing the CEL/VSC.

Good luck.

Pete
Old 12-06-05, 06:33 PM
harrym
Driver School Candidate

We used the instructions for the 430 from SRT...............but the ones I was supplied with the used unit didn't look anything like those.
I think what happened is a repeat of what BC-GS430 mentioned above; The seller fried the ECU and dumped it on me.
This just came in from SRT; " Did you cut the sensor 1 wire? If you did then we will need you to send us your ecu back so we can recheck it."
I'd like to have someone with a ECU for a 2001GS430 try thiers on my car so we can narrow it down to this. But if I can't find someone by the weekend, I might as well just send it back for repair. We went over the wiring 3-5 times, unpluged the battery and the MAF looks plugged in right.
Don't know what else is left.
Harry
Old 12-07-05, 04:43 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Since LasVegasGS has the SRT GS430 , see if he will plug his ECU in to yours to test it. Of course after he confirms the wiring is correct.
Old 12-07-05, 11:22 PM
harrym
Driver School Candidate

LasVegasGS just stopped by (great guy) and the wiring was fine. Put his ECU on my car and it ran great and the CIL and VSC/ VSC OFF didn't come on.
So my unit is shot and on the way to SRT in the morning.
Much thanks to everyone for all the help.
Harry
Old 12-08-05, 11:12 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

May be you should let guy that sold the ECU that he owes you a partial refund.
what is SRT going to charge to fix the fried ECU.?

Last edited by GILLEXUS; 12-08-05 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-08-05, 01:27 PM
harrym
Driver School Candidate

I suppose I could try that but he's not posting on e-bay right now. Don't have a good feeling based on what I've see so far that it would do much good.
And SRT told me it would be only $25 to fix the chip. Free if they found thier product was at fault. I just included the check in the box because I'm about as certain as can be that I either got a bum chip or the sellers lousy directions fried this one.
For $25 it's more than worth the piece of mind.
And what started out as a bad experience , turned into a very good one. Found this great site with a lot of helpful GS owners and met a really decent guy (Chris/ LasVegasGS). Makes the few hours of aggrevation and few bucks spent seem like the deal of the century in comparison.
And I've still got my 95 Chevy Lt-1 (ex-CHP car/ SS clone) with the RAISS cold air intake, Flowmasters/ hi-flow cats, ported MAF, programed PCM and what not, to get me back and forth to work. Primative compared to the GS but it sure can move. And is fun to drive.
When we popped Chris' ECU on my car and took it out , it moved out just like my chevy. Felt a lot more response and get-up-and-go.
Old 12-08-05, 02:21 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Well since SRT is only charging $25 to fix it, that's a good deal I thought it would be alot more.
Enjoy the new power.
Old 12-10-05, 09:11 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you install the new ECU very carefully and enjoy the SRT power that the intake delivers.

Quick Reply: problems with SRT install