Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How much HP can my transmission handle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-05, 07:19 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How much HP can my transmission handle?

Guys,

I have a 98 GS400 ( for those who don't know). I have the VB upgrade, TC and tranny cooler. How much HP can this transmission safely handle before I start destroying it?

(Yes, I did search!)

Jonny
Old 12-18-05, 07:25 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No you didnt

I've read 500HP on these forums, but that was pushing it
Old 12-18-05, 07:28 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TLW
No you didnt

I've read 500HP on these forums, but that was pushing it
Yes I did punk!!!

Maybe I just didn't use the correct search terminology. I used "maximium hp transmission" and "max hp tranny"

But thank you though man,

Jonny
Old 12-18-05, 07:59 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

with those mods and a good tranny cooler around 350-375 depending on your takeoffs..

the clutch packs are real soft in these trannies hence the smooth like silk shifting.. valve body upgrade alters line pressure for harder shifting which actually increases wear on clutch packs.. the only way is to have tranny built
Old 12-18-05, 11:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yes, i think around 350rwhp is about as much power i would feel comfortable with
Old 12-19-05, 05:48 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Consider Amsoil for the tranny if you plan on adding some serious power, Less friction and heat, the root of tranny breakdown.
Old 12-19-05, 04:25 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Consider Amsoil for the tranny if you plan on adding some serious power, Less friction and heat, the root of tranny breakdown.
I slowly started mixing between Amsoil and Toyota fluid. I guess I need to get her flushed and just use Amsoil.

I am hoping for a good bit more than 350 so I guess I may not have a tranny for too much longer!!

Jonny
Old 12-19-05, 05:35 PM
LMSguy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
.. valve body upgrade alters line pressure for harder shifting which actually increases wear on clutch packs..
I completely disagree.Yes, doing the VB upgrade increased line pressure but that is actually BETTER for the tranny and I'll tell you why.
When the tranny shifts all buttery smooth its cause the clutch packs are slipping which eats them away over time.With the added line pressure it slips less and in tire terms "hooks and goes"
Just like a tire that isnt burnt out at every stop light will last longer than one that is.
Trust me I've been through plenty of trannies and been friends with some amazing tranny guys over the years.
A shift kit and GOOD tranny cooler are the best things you can do for a trannies life expectency.

IMHO opinion here is the best cooler around. http://www.derale.com/img/13700remotecooler.jpg

And you might want to add a filter for it too. http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...roduct_Count=1
Old 12-19-05, 06:55 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LMSguy
I completely disagree.Yes, doing the VB upgrade increased line pressure but that is actually BETTER for the tranny and I'll tell you why.
When the tranny shifts all buttery smooth its cause the clutch packs are slipping which eats them away over time.With the added line pressure it slips less and in tire terms "hooks and goes"
Just like a tire that isnt burnt out at every stop light will last longer than one that is.
Trust me I've been through plenty of trannies and been friends with some amazing tranny guys over the years.
A shift kit and GOOD tranny cooler are the best things you can do for a trannies life expectency.

IMHO opinion here is the best cooler around. http://www.derale.com/img/13700remotecooler.jpg

And you might want to add a filter for it too. http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...roduct_Count=1
So if you could guesstimate a hp number what would it be?

Jonny
Old 12-19-05, 07:03 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They dont just always pop and stop working. I think more often than not, the result is significanlty reduced life.

If I had to guess I would say much more than 400hp at the wheels you are tempting fate.
Other things also need to be factored in, do you do burnouts, hard launches, is there a tranny cooler, how many miles is on the tranny etc.
Old 12-19-05, 07:19 PM
LMSguy
Pole Position

I honestly cant say. I havent been inside one of these trannies yet.
And like Morris said it probably wont just "break" it MIGHT but more than likely you will start to see more and more slipping in a particular gear untill that gear is just gone completely and when it starts slipping the debris gets inside other parts and causes more and more damage to the whole unit.
Which is why i suggested the auxilary filter.
Old 12-19-05, 07:21 PM
LMSguy
Pole Position

But If it were me and I was expecting to exceed 400RWHP than I would have a back up plan in place.Wether it be the needed funds to have it rebuilt or an extra one from a wrecked car.
Old 12-19-05, 07:27 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LMSguy

correct but the added pressure or friction to the plates wear them faster and this i know for looking at the internals of one fried from constant abuse with vlave body upgrade and 2800 trq convt

the packs were toast
Old 12-19-05, 07:36 PM
LMSguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexforlife
correct but the added pressure or friction to the plates wear them faster and this i know for looking at the internals of one fried from constant abuse with vlave body upgrade and 2800 trq convt

the packs were toast
No way possible to prove they were toast because of the added line pressure.
Once the plates "stick" to each other for a lack of a better word they are no longer being deteriorated.The deterioration comes from slipping.