Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Royal Purple 9 horses?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-05, 07:41 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

It's mostly a load of crap. You want to make more power you need to run a lighter weight lubes.
Putting one of Royoal Purple's race weights in a Honda i4 VS some cheap crap of specified viscosity maked around 10 peak horsepower. Anything else is going to be neglidgable power wise. You can fart in an intake and make more power than the difference between the greatest oils off all time VS the cheapest crap you can find. As long as both are new & the same viscosity.
It's not the "super new oil" that makes the power difference. It's the super thin oil viscosity.
Same goes for everything. Thiner oils get out of the way & take less motion to get them oil of the way faster than thick oils do.
Ya... That video they even say "Tuning up the ignition" hah.

Think about this... They made less than 4whp by using some of the best synthetic fluids lubricating everythey they could, and giving the engine a mild tune-up.

Just put good synthetic fluids in everything that are the specified type & weight.

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_artic....cfm?x=b11,0,w- Is interesting.
My ES's 3vz-fe has all new seals. I'm currently running 5 quarts of mobil 1 synthetic 3 are 5w-30, 2 are 5w-20.
Old 12-31-05, 05:04 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
IMO definitely should not use a differential oil with friction modifier in a torsen-type LSD like the Supra OEM.

There are plenty of aftermarket differential fluids that have the friction modifier built in (I use Redline which does), not only Royal Purple does.

On the 9hp claim, I'd guess that changing the oils with any decent synthetic is going to improve performance somewhat. I'd like to have seen them do it with fresh synthetic fluids (some other brand) as the 'before'.
Thanks Dave...I'll stick with mobil1 for my lsd
Old 12-31-05, 07:51 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by iasc300
this post is kinda wierd - i was thinking about posting something lastnight on the same subject but not the Royal Purple product something else- i saw it on sports car revolution lastnight on the speed channel- the did a dyno before and after and it was a 9 hp gain- from cutting down on friction they said- ?- im afraid to use stuff like that- ""ect. sea foam""" but im not sure if a reputable tv show says it works it must right?????????????
I put up a post earlier in the year about that product. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=EXP4
Old 12-31-05, 11:54 AM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I put up a post earlier in the year about that product. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=EXP4
yep that was exactly it
Old 01-01-06, 07:27 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put Redline in my 3.76 LSD and it seemed quicker than before the change.

Ivan
3dog
Old 01-02-06, 09:48 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

9HP from lube in a rear diff, that's the same thing as removing 6750 Watts (9HP equals 9x 750 Watts). That's not possible, the GS's rear end doesn't consume 9HP no matter what kind of lube is in it (except maybe sand). If the Lexus rear diff used 9HP, it would burn itself up in a few miles. The Lexus rear diff consumes ~1-2HP, if RP lubes could add 9HP, then it's making HP from nothing. That's against the law (of physics, 2nd Law of Theromdynamics if I remember right).

The 9HP figure comes from a Top Fuel dragster running 4.5 seconds in the 1/4 mile with over 8000HP (9HP is probably on the high side, after all, it is an ad).

I put Redline in my 3.76 LSD and it seemed quicker than before the change.
Watch out for the SOTP dyno, it always lines up with the money spend on the mod.
Old 01-02-06, 11:28 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vette Boy
9HP from lube in a rear diff, that's the same thing as removing 6750 Watts (9HP equals 9x 750 Watts). That's not possible, the GS's rear end doesn't consume 9HP no matter what kind of lube is in it (except maybe sand). If the Lexus rear diff used 9HP, it would burn itself up in a few miles. The Lexus rear diff consumes ~1-2HP, if RP lubes could add 9HP, then it's making HP from nothing. That's against the law (of physics, 2nd Law of Theromdynamics if I remember right).

The 9HP figure comes from a Top Fuel dragster running 4.5 seconds in the 1/4 mile with over 8000HP (9HP is probably on the high side, after all, it is an ad).

Watch out for the SOTP dyno, it always lines up with the money spend on the mod.
The state of motion of an object is maintained as long as the object is not acted upon by an unbalanced force. All objects resist changes in their state of motion - they tend to "keep on doing what they're doing." The videos are of different vehicles. Different vehicles will yeild different results.
Old 01-02-06, 12:26 PM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

The state of motion of an object is maintained ...
Consevation of energy, you can't make energy from nothing. The diff only consumes 2HP as drag on the power train, Royal Purple can't save 9HP on a Lexus, the drag is only 2HP.
Old 01-02-06, 12:33 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

[QUOTE=Vette Boy]Consevation of energy, you can't make energy from nothing. The diff only consumes 2HP as drag on the power train, Royal Purple can't save 9HP on a Lexus, the drag is only 2HP.[/QUOTE Ok, I guess based on your formula, we can only gain 2 horses.. Guess the Mustang and Camaro have a better stock rear end.
Old 01-02-06, 01:08 PM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Ok, I guess based on your formula, we can only gain 2 horses.. Guess the Mustang and Camaro have a better stock rear end.
If the total power loss is ~2HP, the most I'd expect a lube to help out would be ~10% or 0.2HP. Even that isn't likely if the old lube is in reasonable shape. Compared to other lubes, I doubt there's any measuable difference in a 300HP Lexus/Camero or Vette for that matter.

If it sounds too good to be true (9HP for $20), it probably is too good to be true. Save your money for a proven power adder, the Vortex, or maybe some of those gas mileage magnets
Old 01-03-06, 04:21 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

If the total power loss is ~2HP, the most I'd expect a lube to help out would be ~10% or 0.2HP. Even that isn't likely if the old lube is in reasonable shape. Compared to other lubes, I doubt there's any measuable difference in a 300HP Lexus/Camero or Vette for that matter.

If it sounds too good to be true (9HP for $20), it probably is too good to be true. Save your money for a proven power adder, the Vortex, or maybe some of those gas mileage magnets
I believe the nine horses come from a combination of synthetic tranny, engine and diff fluid as depicted in the camaro video. If you look at the video with the mustang, all they did was change out the diff fluid and gained a total of 3 horses.
Old 01-03-06, 05:19 PM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

...all they did was change out the diff fluid and gained a total of 3 horses.
Look, I don't like to see people scammed. The claim that changing out rear diff fluid in a Mustang rear end will lower losses by 3HP is :BS:. The variation from different dyno runs can be 3HP.

There's nothing wrong with their product, and it isn't any better than Redline, Mobil1 or any other good synth.

If Royal Purple is claiming they can save 3HP by swapping diff fluid, shame on them. Makes me wonder if they really know what they're doing. It's easy to make a good lube that runs down the strip once on a sunny day and then gets changed. I need one that works from -20*F to 120*F for 20K miles. I'll stick to Mobil1 for that.
Old 01-03-06, 05:41 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Look, I don't like to see people scammed. The claim that changing out rear diff fluid in a Mustang rear end will lower losses by 3HP is :BS:. The variation from different dyno runs can be 3HP.

There's nothing wrong with their product, and it isn't any better than Redline, Mobil1 or any other good synth.

If Royal Purple is claiming they can save 3HP by swapping diff fluid, shame on them. Makes me wonder if they really know what they're doing. It's easy to make a good lube that runs down the strip once on a sunny day and then gets changed. I need one that works from -20*F to 120*F for 20K miles. I'll stick to Mobil1 for that.
I hear that.. Thats why I wanted feed back.... I can truly say I feel a difference by changing my engine(Amsoil), tranny(Amsoil), and diff(Royal Purple) to synthetic. I never dyno'd the car, but it feels smoother and quicker off the line than the dino oil. Would have been great if someone did a before and ater with a gs4.
Old 01-03-06, 08:23 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vetteboy, I'm pretty curious where the "2hp" figure comes from...... Care to share?

An average car can easily lose 15% in powertrain losses. Some basic math would tell you that we should be losing more than 2hp in the rear-end.
Old 01-04-06, 05:44 PM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BA_GS400
Some basic math would tell you that we should be losing more than 2hp in the rear-end.
If you think I'm wrong, show me your math. Make the total loss of the diff as high as you see fit, just remember, all the losses are friction, it's just heat. The rear diff doesn't have any cooler and has to dissipate the heat through the case without getting so hot the lube boils and the bearing and gears seize. How many watts of heat do you think is being dissipated? How much better is RP compared to dyno oil, 10%, 50% 100%?

BTW, 750W = ~1HP. Every 2HPs of loss is the same as a 1500W heater in the rear diff. Make the loss 5HP, that's 3750W of heat in the rear diff. Imagine a space heater the size of the GS rear diff with ~4kW of heat in it. How long will that rear diff last before it just burns up?

Quick Reply: Royal Purple 9 horses?