Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Some thoughts/questions on GS HP

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-05, 09:41 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Some thoughts/questions on GS HP

Some web sites that advertise LSD and Torque Converter claim that it adds up to 40-50 HP to the rear wheels. Yet, numerous threads on CL that I searched through technically explain that neither LSD nor TC add any HP at all. They just help to "free up" or utilize more efficient that HP that the engine originally produces (or something like that). So, does that mean that my GS300 estimated 225 HP does not produce that HP in reality, and I need things like TC to reach the max? I'm kind of confused here...
Old 12-29-05, 10:49 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

at the crank probally 225 but at the wheels u talking about maybe 180rwhp...
Old 12-29-05, 11:54 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Originally Posted by joshoowa
at the crank probally 225 but at the wheels u talking about maybe 180rwhp...
So, does that mean that let's say TC will add up another 40rwhp, and I will have 220rwhp with 225 HP at the crank still?
Old 12-29-05, 12:25 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,338 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Originally Posted by lalexusgs
So, does that mean that let's say TC will add up another 40rwhp, and I will have 220rwhp with 225 HP at the crank still?
Not at all, with a TC you might see an early 'spike' on the dyno that would allow your potential rwtq to come into play earlier (at launch) but it will not increase the HP your car generates.

Try reading this
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm

and this

http://www.converter.com/whatsnew_dynamometer.htm
other faqs and articles also on the PI site
http://www.converter.com/articles.htm
http://www.converter.com/faqs.htm

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-29-05 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-29-05, 04:01 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you are getting confused. The rwhp and crank hp are inextricably connected - when one increases or decreases - so does the other.

Generally people say there is a 19-23% loss from the crank to the wheels - so a basic estimate is to minush of the crank hp to get the rear wheel horsepower (rwhp.)

And read the threads Dave posted

Jonny
Old 01-01-06, 08:06 AM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some web sites that advertise LSD and Torque Converter claim that it adds up to 40-50 HP to the rear wheels. Yet, numerous threads on CL that I searched through technically explain that neither LSD nor TC add any HP at all. They just help to "free up" or utilize more efficient that HP that the engine originally produces (or something like that). So, does that mean that my GS300 estimated 225 HP does not produce that HP in reality, and I need things like TC to reach the max? I'm kind of confused here...
Ok it took me a very long time and alot of reading to finally understand what exactly the TC is doing for the car, and the best way that helped explain to me what it does is this:

All the TC really is doing, is changing the RPM level your car launches at. So right now without a higher stall TC, look at your RPM's, and watch where they are at when you first slam on the gas. If you install a 2800 stall convertor, its going to launch at 2800 rpms as opposed to where it is launching at now.

The TC is basically just like if you were to put your foot on the brake, and rev your engine up and then release the brake, launching your car at a higher RPM and getting that jolt off the line. From my understanding that will do 2 things, 1) put the car in a more powerful area of first gear when it launches and 2) get through the gears faster, since you are closer to going through first at the time of launch

Hopefully that explanation helps ya, after reading a ton of different technical posts about what a TC actually does, that was the way it was described that made it finally click in my head. If there are inaccuracies with anything I said, please correct me as I really dont know much about engines or mechanical subjects like this
Old 01-01-06, 11:48 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by the_ez_rhino
Ok it took me a very long time and alot of reading to finally understand what exactly the TC is doing for the car, and the best way that helped explain to me what it does is this:

All the TC really is doing, is changing the RPM level your car launches at. So right now without a higher stall TC, look at your RPM's, and watch where they are at when you first slam on the gas. If you install a 2800 stall convertor, its going to launch at 2800 rpms as opposed to where it is launching at now.

The TC is basically just like if you were to put your foot on the brake, and rev your engine up and then release the brake, launching your car at a higher RPM and getting that jolt off the line. From my understanding that will do 2 things, 1) put the car in a more powerful area of first gear when it launches and 2) get through the gears faster, since you are closer to going through first at the time of launch

Hopefully that explanation helps ya, after reading a ton of different technical posts about what a TC actually does, that was the way it was described that made it finally click in my head. If there are inaccuracies with anything I said, please correct me as I really dont know much about engines or mechanical subjects like this
I understand why you are thinking this but you are missunderstanding the real magic of a TC.

The TC works both as a fluid clutch and a fluid continuously variable gear set. Just like first gear multiplies the engine torque more than second and so on... a TC actually multiplies the torque hence the name torque converter. The greatest multiplication occurs during the time the converter is "slipping" the most. As both halves of the converter get closer to the same speed the multiplication is basically stopped at this point the converter is said to be coupled. It is true that changing the stall speed will allow the engine to rev quicker to a higher RPM before coupling. During this reving there is a LOT of torque being transmitted.
Old 01-01-06, 08:42 PM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Ok, I think I get the idea now. Thank you all for the input. You guys have been so helpful as always. That's why I love CL