Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need Horses - Supercharger/Turbocharger for my 1999 GS400

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-06, 08:02 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RMM produced these without anything to control fuel. This is a great kit.. but missing many important components!
JPI
Old 03-27-06, 12:15 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JPI
RMM produced these without anything to control fuel. This is a great kit.. but missing many important components!
JPI
I think this is a good time for me to post my input so that the newbies (anyone who hasn't been on the forums since 2002) knows some of the history on the RMM SC.

The ORIGINAL RMM SC was sold as a kit comprised of a 5- 6lb boost pulley, (the 3.12 dia pulley I believe). By design they offered their kit with ONLY that amount of boost in order to eliminate the need for outside fuel management.

Everyone selling the supposed RMM kit Today as a USED kit, has probably gone well beyond the original kit design , by upping the pulley boost, which in turn leads to bigger injectors and requiring fuel management.

Along with upping the boost came issues with belt slippage from too small a pulley, plus other issues.

These problems and/or complaints have gone around this forum for years. Whatever problems people experienced with modding the original kit, well that's up to them to resolve. Some were successful, some were not.

So let's get the facts straight. As RMM sold the kit 5 YEARS AGO, the kit was designed with all the custom parts and accessories required to get what they claimed to be a 70+ HP gain.

By design, at that level of boost, fuel management, larger injectors, smaller pulleys, fuel pumps, cogged pulleys, etc. were not required.

This set up was tested on 2 or 3 cars running this amount of boost for around 2 years to prove out it's reliability, before RMM even sold one unit to the public.

By design, this is a reliable set up, but once owners start increasing the boost, then challenges come up which RMM had not factored into their design or tested for reliability.

For everyone out there running more boost than what the original kit offered, make note that you are really dependent on how well the previous owner worked to fine tune the set up. For those with a good tuner to perform the install, do any other required mods and tuning, the RMM can definitely be modified to produce more power.

Just to make it perfectly clear, upgrading the RMM SC with more than 5-6 lbs of boost is the responsibility of the owner and the installer. Secondly, the original kit did include all the parts required to perform the install. * Don't blame RMM for these deficiencies if you bought your kit used.

Peace

* Note: Some kits were sold missing parts, but those were the last kits that RMM scrounged together to build up complete kits as they sold out their inventory. This is not what I am talking about.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-27-06 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-27-06, 12:26 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Well stated Glen
Old 03-27-06, 12:27 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
I think this is a good time for me to post my input so that the newbies (anyone who hasn't been on the forums since 2002) knows some of the history on the RMM SC.

The ORIGINAL RMM SC was sold as a kit comprised of a 5- 6lb boost pulley, (the 3.12 dia pulley I believe). By design they offered their kit with ONLY that amount of boost in order to eliminate the need for outside fuel management.

Everyone selling the supposed RMM kit Today as a USED kit, has probably gone well beyond the original kit design , by upping the pulley boost, which in turn leads to bigger injectors and requiring fuel management.

Along with upping the boost came issues with belt slippage from too small a pulley, plus other issues.

These problems and/or complaints have gone around this forum for years. Whatever problems people experienced with modding the original kit, well that's up to them to resolve. Some were successful, some were not.

So let's get the facts straight. As RMM sold the kit 5 YEARS AGO, the kit was designed with all the custom parts and accessories required to get what they claimed to be a 70+ HP gain.

By design, at that level of boost, fuel management, larger injectors, smaller pulleys, fuel pumps, cogged pulleys, etc. were not required.

This set up was tested on 2 or 3 cars running this amount of boost for around 2 years to prove out it's reliability, before RMM even sold one unit to the public.

By design, this is a reliable set up, but once owners start increasing the boost, then challenges come up which RMM had not factored into their design or tested for reliability.

For everyone out there running more boost than what the original kit offered, make note that you are really dependent on how well the previous owner worked to fine tune the set up. For those with a good tuner to perform the install, do any other required mods and tuning, the RMM can definitely be modified to produce more power.

Just to make it perfectly clear, upgrading the RMM SC with more than 5-6 lbs of boost is the responsibility of the owner and the installer. Secondly, the original kit did include all the parts required to perform the install. * Don't blame RMM for these deficiencies if you bought your kit used.

Peace

* Note: Some kits were sold missing parts, but those were the last kits that RMM scrounged together to build up complete kits as they sold out their inventory. This is not what I am talking about.
Nice write up man. I even learned a couple of things

Jonny
Old 03-27-06, 04:09 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Peace

Glen,
Where are those two cars that were tested? Were they running stock everything? It's hard to believe because their long fuel trim would be out of wack.
PS: Is -20% LT fuel trim sound familiar to you? If it isn't how about -40%? We just need to educate these folks and so they will know what are they getting themselve into.
JPI

Last edited by JPI Racing; 03-27-06 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-27-06, 04:19 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Glenn
I would be happy w/ the added 70 ponies
Old 03-27-06, 04:35 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JPI
Glen,
Where are those two cars that were tested? Were they running stock everything? It's hard to believe because their long fuel trim would be out of wack.
PS: Is -20% LT fuel trim sound familiar to you? If it isn't how about -40%? We just need to educate these folks and so they will know what are they getting themselve into.
JPI
for the sake of education what is long trim?
Old 03-27-06, 07:06 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Basically Short FT is related to the instantaneous O2 readings and determines whether to add fuel or remove fuel to run at optimum.

The Long FT is driven by Short FT changes over time. This allows for long term modifications of the base maps to account for items that cause long term or gradual changes in fuel delivery or vehicle differences.

This is one of the better explainations I've seen.

Original Link
Old 03-27-06, 07:10 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JPI
Glen,
JPI
You are probably right that the LT fuel trim would be out of whack but how serious of an issue do you really see this being? So long as the ECU can correct it does it matter that much? When does the CEL get triggered?

I'm surprised that they would run -20 or -40. If anything I would expect them to run + with the stock injectors.

Last edited by Mr Johnson; 03-27-06 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-27-06, 07:59 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by JPI
Glen,
JPI

Well since you asked, one of the cars was mine. I bought the car from Rhys Millen in 2000. It was his on/off daily driver and their demo car. It was featured in 3 magazines. I have 2 of the mags, one of them was "Automobile" with an article that pretty much summarized the mods and the SC install. The car had every mod they offered, which I can attest that the engine had no other changes to it besides the SC kit. I can't offer any more info technically since I only know what I observed and asked.

Ironically, I had them remove the SC as part of my deal to purchase the car. Let's just say that the final selling price and Wife acceptance factor had a lot to do with it.

Now you know my story and where my screen name comes from

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-27-06 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-31-06, 06:21 PM
lexus_perf
Driver School Candidate

hey while you guys are giving me a much needed education (no, i'm serious, all i know about the GS I've learned from the forums) can someone please explain this?
https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...ew/2174/1/157/

"SRT Stage III Supercharger
Once installed the performance is phenomenal. 420 RWHP (235 stock) and 350 lb/ft RWTQ (253 stock) really make their presence felt.... Though running 8.5 PSI of boost with the stock compression ratio..."

Does it really do what it says at the price quoted, $8,000 + install?

Does it really produce 420hp at the wheels from only 8.5 PSI? Because almost doubling the RWHP, and from the comments I've been reading people are getting closer to 320RWHP at those levels of boost from superchargers.
Old 03-31-06, 06:40 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by lexus_perf
hey while you guys are giving me a much needed education (no, i'm serious, all i know about the GS I've learned from the forums) can someone please explain this?
https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...ew/2174/1/157/

"SRT Stage III Supercharger
Once installed the performance is phenomenal. 420 RWHP (235 stock) and 350 lb/ft RWTQ (253 stock) really make their presence felt.... Though running 8.5 PSI of boost with the stock compression ratio..."

Does it really do what it says at the price quoted, $8,000 + install?

Does it really produce 420hp at the wheels from only 8.5 PSI? Because almost doubling the RWHP, and from the comments I've been reading people are getting closer to 320RWHP at those levels of boost from superchargers.
I didn't look at your link but I do remember a lot of big claims by SRT. The thing is, they put up a ton of marketing hype, but in the end they decided to stop marketing superchargers altogether, after such a short period on the market.

The few kits that were sold did show some promising results, so it is unclear to me why they canned the whole thing. At the same time I don't think anyone independently proved the numbers they posted. ( I could be wrong, but that's what my memory serves me)

The bottom line is, these may have been potentially good products, but there are virtually none around for sale (used) and we can count the existing active SRT SC owners on CL with one hand. Now as far as SRT turbos, there are some high end TT owners and there are also SRT Turbo IS owners out there, but I assume you are focusing your attention specifically on SC's and not turbos.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-31-06 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-01-06, 06:03 PM
lexus_perf
Driver School Candidate

I didn't look at your link but I do remember a lot of big claims by SRT. The thing is, they put up a ton of marketing hype, but in the end they decided to stop marketing superchargers altogether, after such a short period on the market.

The few kits that were sold did show some promising results, so it is unclear to me why they canned the whole thing. At the same time I don't think anyone independently proved the numbers they posted. ( I could be wrong, but that's what my memory serves me)

The bottom line is, these may have been potentially good products, but there are virtually none around for sale (used) and we can count the existing active SRT SC owners on CL with one hand. Now as far as SRT turbos, there are some high end TT owners and there are also SRT Turbo IS owners out there, but I assume you are focusing your attention specifically on SC's and not turbos.
i'd like "best bang for the buck" but i also want something that works right the first time, i dont want a money pit, i dont want a 10 grand turbo projecting turning into 20 grand.
Old 04-02-06, 10:37 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexus_perf
i'd like "best bang for the buck" but i also want something that works right the first time, i dont want a money pit, i dont want a 10 grand turbo projecting turning into 20 grand.
Couple of things:

1) SRT hasn't made superchargers in many, many years
2) All FI projects are money pits.
3) IMO #1 is a direct result of #2 (plus most people are talkers)

Cars have come out of warranty now so I think more folks are looking to put a SC on. Depreciation on a 5 year old car + SC is quite affordable vs. a 50K car + money pit.

FWIW: My SRT setup has run great for over 4 years. The power is intoxicating and the reliability has been wonderful. For all I know there are/may only be one or two more out there at all. Some former SRT folks have gone "money pit" route and done a TT setup.

RMM SC, TT, or custom single turbo are pretty much your primary options and I think you are hearing us, certainly me, say they are all money pits.

YMMV...

Last edited by Mr Johnson; 04-02-06 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Add a / and some additional comments
Old 04-02-06, 12:25 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Couple of things:

1) SRT hasn't made superchargers in many, many years
2) All FI projects are money pits.
3) IMO #1 is a direct result of #2 (plus most people are talkers)

Cars have come out of warranty now so I think more folks are looking to put a SC on. Depreciation on a 5 year old car + SC is quite affordable vs. a 50K car + money pit.

FWIW: My SRT setup has run great for over 4 years. The power is intoxicating and the reliability has been wonderful. For all I know there are/may only be one or two more out there at all. Some former SRT folks have gone "money pit" route and done a TT setup.

RMM SC, TT, or custom single turbo are pretty much your primary options and I think you are hearing us, certainly me, say they are all money pits.

YMMV...
In short - agreeing with Mr. J - it is a money pit. If I had the option to do it again - honestly I would not. My car has been down for 5 months b/c of it - and that sucks! So factor in close to $1000 you pay for insurance for your car to sit in the garage while you are working out bugs - add that to your total

Jonny