Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My NA-T with TT intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-06, 03:21 AM
henson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try even regapping it to .28, if that doesn't work try .24
Old 01-17-06, 06:36 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

still breaking up at 7 psi?? what do you have your base timing set at..with the distributor? i know the MAP Ecu allows you to modify the curve, but possibly it could be starting out too high? Dont by any chance have an EGT gauge do you?

Yea, drop the plugs to .028" and try again. Also, what plugs are you using?

I'll be hooking up my gauges today.. GReddy boost, oil psi, egt and water temp..also the GReddy wideband A/F so i'll know a bit more of where I stand til i get her to the dyno hopefully later this week.

running .70 bar now, i removed the wastegate that was running only .40 bar and capped it til i get a chance to remove the whole exhaust mani again. this was much simpler and i dont wanna work on it anymore.. i want to drive!!
Old 01-17-06, 08:43 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not the MAP-ECU...and I don't think it is timing. Actaully the further I retard the timing...the worse it gets. Put in 100 octane fuel and tried all sorts of timing, and nothing I could do would prevent the problem.

I changed the spark plug wires with brand new stock replacement this morning. Still breaks up. I have a new cap and rotor..I will probably put that in this afternoon. After that...I am out of ideas. Other people running a similar setup can run over 8psi at stock compression without this kind of problem.
Old 01-17-06, 02:43 PM
henson
Driver School Candidate

Try lowering plug gap. It does wonders to boosted cars. Trust me man

Henson
Old 01-17-06, 03:31 PM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by henson
Try lowering plug gap. It does wonders to boosted cars. Trust me man

Henson
I already did that.. went from .040 to .030 no change.
Old 01-17-06, 03:35 PM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

HALLELUJAH!!!!! I fixed it.

After spending countless hours changing wires twice, chaning plugs, changing gap, tried different timing..diffrent fuel, chaning fuel map, running higher power coil......I finally fixed it.

CAP AND ROTOR...Cost $15, time...5minutes. I really didn't think it was going to fix it...but it did.

Wow, I get a great power band, but I don't think my tranny is going to hang on for long. I have to let off the gas in order to shift into second gear. I am probably well over 300rwhp now. .

Unfortunatly...a short time later, I blew the bottom off my radiator.(237,000 miles and counting) Anybody know if a Supra radiator will fit a 1st Gen GS?
Old 01-18-06, 05:47 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

I have a MKIV rad in my car. It fits width wise, it is 2x as thick. It does not fit into the mounting feet for the GS rad though. I just have mine sitting in there and held fast with some custom brackets and drift without a problem of it moving.

I have a Modine radiator.. cost me under $200.00.. if you want Bling and direct fit.. check Griffin. They made a 1st Gen GS aluminum rad at my urging over a year ago. Sillbeer has one on his car out in the Phx, AZ heat.. I think the price is just shy of $400.00

You can see my "custom" brackets of just bent flat bar in the bottom of the pic.. these lap over the rad and hold it in place pretty well.
Old 01-18-06, 07:38 PM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

here is my cleaned engine bay...and some front end pics

Old 01-18-06, 11:02 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

very nice! i like the hotside charge pipe into the TB.. welds look like mine.
Old 01-18-06, 11:10 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

I just thought of something.. you said when you had a good run, and the car boosted well that you blew the bottom off of your radiator? sounds like you may have pressurized the coolant system under boost.. have you done a compression or leakdown test on the engine?
Old 01-19-06, 05:37 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Epik
I just thought of something.. you said when you had a good run, and the car boosted well that you blew the bottom off of your radiator? sounds like you may have pressurized the coolant system under boost.. have you done a compression or leakdown test on the engine?
I am pretty sure it was my radiator cap. It didn't use the factor cap...so I had to guess. I found one that fit, but I think the pressure was too high. Anyway, we had a HUGE snow storm last night, I was coming home from a all-night network move, and on the way home, it blew off again...but there was over a foot of snow on the sides of the highway...and I couldn't not stop or pull off without getting hit or getting stuck, and it was in the middle of the night with nobody to come get me....so I had to keep going, and I missed the next exit because it was all snowed over. I then had to drive another 3 miles without water to get off the highway. Lets just say....my motor is pretty toast, and the rebuild will be a little sooner than I really wanted....no thanks to the stupid weather.....I HATE SNOW!!!
Old 01-19-06, 06:14 AM
wayne
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SuprRunner
Still needs lots of cleaning up the engine bay....but my first goal is to get it working. Entire engine will come out later for a TT shortblock and upgraded tranny. Don't have a throttle cable yet, but I know I have one around my garage somewhere that is long enough, I will have to look around.

I definatly get better throttle response out of this though. My IC pipes came today so I will be hooking them up on saturday.

For my power steering, I just cut open the stock reservoir and welded on a 10AN steel fitting an attached a barbed hose adapter and ran it with a 7MGTE reservoir. I will take pictures of that later.

I'm very interested in your setup.
1st: What turbo manifold are you using?
2nd: Do you have any pics of how you mated the 2 intake manifols together?

Nice setup.
Old 01-19-06, 10:42 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

It is a tubonetics GT67 turbo. Similar to the PT67 SP67 and others.

I have pictures of the modified manifold...but not of them bolted together.

I can get those pretty soon...since the motor is probably coming out this weekend.
Old 01-19-06, 05:08 PM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Epik

Well, the bottom of the radiator didn't blow off like I though. It was too cold and dark this morning to look and I left it about 10 miles from my house. So this evening when I went to go get it, It was still mostly full of water. I only added about a quart. Driving home...it wasn't burning oil...it was coolant. Blown HG. These motors are amazing. I drove for about 5 minutes with the temp...not at the red. but the red mark was actually below the needle, and it still runs.

I just drove it home from where I left it...smoking crazily from the antifreeze....it was soo bad, I could only see little yellow dim lights from the cars behind me....I am sure they loved it.

Anyway, I went ahead and drove it like I normally do...WOT. Engine sounded great, no rattling or knocking...just a little bit of a lope at idle. Thing boosted great with full power... I didn't notice any degredation of power.

237,000 miles NA-T, and overheated more than I have EVER overheated any vehicle EVER, and the thing still runs great....besides the smoke....and still overheating. Motor is still coming out this weekend.

Man I love Toyota/Lexus
Old 01-19-06, 08:32 PM
wayne
Lexus Test Driver

What turbo manifold are you using?

Quick Reply: My NA-T with TT intake manifold