Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How many PSI can I boost on the stock IS

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-06, 08:47 PM
Silver300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many PSI can I boost on the stock IS

Hey, I just got a 2004 IS300 about 5days ago and I have plans on boosting it and I just wanna know how many pounds can I boost on a stock block of a IS300. and I also thought about getting Rims thick rims in the back and small ones in the front what should I get?
Old 01-24-06, 02:04 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

The stock 2jz can handle about 8 PSI, then you will need to change the headgasket because of the compression ratio. I think the engine can probably handle more although the VVTi engines are as strong as the ones before.
Old 01-24-06, 05:30 PM
Silver300
Driver School Candidate

I have heard that the 2JZ have a strong block they can handle up to 12psi daily but don't know for sure if thats an accurate read or not but I know the car can produce 300whp on 8psi
Old 01-24-06, 08:11 PM
GeIS300
Driver

My understanding from the my.is site is that stock internals handle ~300-330 rwhp or ~8-10 psi turboed.
The first weak link seems to be the fuel pump/rails, then the compression, valve springs etc.

Staggered wheels don't offer that much benefit until going past 350 rwhp range.

Refer to this handy dandy link: http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=240227

Cheers,

GeIS300
Old 01-29-06, 09:10 PM
Silver300
Driver School Candidate

So what do you suggest I should do with the my IS to give myself more boosting options.
Old 01-30-06, 07:31 AM
asukadc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Abear
The stock 2jz can handle about 8 PSI, then you will need to change the headgasket because of the compression ratio. I think the engine can probably handle more although the VVTi engines are as strong as the ones before.
personally i wouldn't go over 7psi on stock compression, 8psi you'll need serious timming retard by 6~8 degrees.. play it safe and add a 2mm head gasket which lowers to 9:1
Old 01-30-06, 06:06 PM
GeIS300
Driver

And ARP head studs.

This is only my opinion, but I think if you want a good daily easy to service ~300 rwhp vehicle on the west coast, go with the LMS supercharger. If you're on the east coast, go with the TurboEast stage 1. If you think you'll want to boost higher in the future and are willing to deal with the longer install time, go with the TurboEast stage 2. I think TurboEast changed the names of the kit to something like Sport Turbo S1 & S2 levels or something.

Go here and check it out.

LMS - http://www.luxurymotorworks.com/supercharger.php

TurboEast - http://www.turboeast.com/
Old 02-02-06, 06:07 PM
edgy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Silver300
So what do you suggest I should do with the my IS to give myself more boosting options.

reaslistically unless you reduce compression you cannopt reliably boost over 7PSI on a stock motor without risking detonation runing 8 psi with no reduced compression & you WILL have problems eventually.

GUARANTEED

this is the key point...... with the 10.5 compression ratio when you start boostin there are two "limits"

1. the Detonation factor, when you boost on hi compression stock motor anything after 7 psi & you are BOUND to detonate sooner than later & trash the motor....

2. the Fuel mgmt
With NO Fuel mgmt system added..(. to increase fuel delivery past 6PSI & to stay at a 12.xx AF ration IE: SAFE) the OEM ECU can & will handle adding additional fuel up to about 6 PSI boost with NO fuel system mods.. .OVer 6 psi tho & you start to run lean as you max out the OEM ECU's capabilities....

ths is proven thru testing as we developed the LMW supercharger kits on my motor...

as for your options with boost ... there are MANY.. turbo Vs SC are the main options..... . search adround a bit man ... lots of info is posted on www.is300.net
Old 02-03-06, 07:25 AM
Silver300
Driver School Candidate

Well Right now I have my IS300 running currently at 18PSI daily. runnning @ 446RWHP with a The biggest Front mount ever. 2JZ GTTE Bottom end from a 99 JDM Supra. Port and Polish head. Bigger fuel system of couse and a Greddy E-manage. I was just asking to see what was your opinion. cause my wifes got an Is300 But I Ain't payin No 4000 to swap a bottom end. I rather pay 3500 for a turbonetic turbo and max out the block. If anything Ill sawp out my block later on for a 2JZ GTTE VVT-i Twin Turbo motor but that a 9000 dollar swap.
Old 02-03-06, 11:18 AM
edgy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Silver300
Well Right now I have my IS300 running currently at 18PSI daily. runnning @ 446RWHP with a The biggest Front mount ever. 2JZ GTTE Bottom end from a 99 JDM Supra. Port and Polish head. Bigger fuel system of couse and a Greddy E-manage. I was just asking to see what was your opinion. cause my wifes got an Is300 But I Ain't payin No 4000 to swap a bottom end. I rather pay 3500 for a turbonetic turbo and max out the block. If anything Ill sawp out my block later on for a 2JZ GTTE VVT-i Twin Turbo motor but that a 9000 dollar swap.

4k for a bottom end...??
a brand new Supra TT short block wit hforged internals is only about 2200-2500 or so thru Carson Toyota....?

& if you are runing a boosted IS already i am not sure why you are asking this question at all, as it seems you already should have more experience than most with boosting the IS .

the info i listed above is accurate regarding boost considerations/ limitations on a FULLY STOCK motor....

good luck with the wifes car .. .. for low cost & a nice kick in the butt when she steps on the pedal & no real negative effects other than the mileage dropping after the kit is installed... the LMW SC kits would seem to be PERFECT for a lower cost boost alternative with nice HP gains & EXCELLENT drivability & smoothness on an otherwise stock motor. Esp. if it is the 2nd family car & the wifes primary transpo.. no need for an array of gauges & to constantly be monitoring the boost levels fuel pressure or A/F ratios, gas quality, oil pressure, EGT etc etc... no engine mgmt needed,...etc....keep it to 6 psi or so & she will see an additional 75-80+ HP reliably.

as for cost factors .. .i have seen guys spend over 2k for intake, exhaust, Headers, Y pipe, B pipes, & Install & Tuning to gain 20-30MAX HP...Only to spend more money on more power producing parts after they get used to the 220HP & want more & usually selling many of those parts off at a loss....

For a bit over double that 2k & possibly a bit more depending on ancilliary components & your desires boost level... you get a system that will produce MUCH more than a 30 HP increase & you usually wont need to consider replacing half of the components & spending ALOT more $$ in a year when you want more than 220 RWHP...

all the best ...
Old 02-03-06, 01:34 PM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^^^^^nice sig...supercharged 2JZ-GTE? lol do you have a GTE head too?? if no, then ur not a real 2JZ-GTE.....
Old 02-03-06, 01:36 PM
edgy
Lead Lap

hehe gee thanks for pointing that out............ didnt think you cared.....

WTF?

r u bored today....?
Old 02-03-06, 04:24 PM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edgy
hehe gee thanks for pointing that out............ didnt think you cared.....

WTF?

r u bored today....?
its decieiving and not accurate...just wanted to make sure you realized that because people might get confused, so you might want to change it....
Old 02-03-06, 08:20 PM
Silver300
Driver School Candidate

4k for labor and everything It took me 2 years to built it to that point but its 4k with labor and other new parts i have to put into it. but I am not spending that extra money on my wifes car. I never boosted my car on a stock block so I would have any experience on a stock block.
Old 02-04-06, 07:12 PM
Silver300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tsopranoMB
^^^^^^^^nice sig...supercharged 2JZ-GTE? lol do you have a GTE head too?? if no, then ur not a real 2JZ-GTE.....

WTF are you taking about ?????????? go home!!! this isn't a place for haterZ