Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-06, 12:32 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

is this system a true cold air intake, or hot air intake?
Old 01-25-06, 02:40 AM
loftus112
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the short air or CAI come out yet?? Last time I heard, Steve from LMS said the short air intake is coming in the near late Jan. for the IS350. Did I miss the forum where it states that the intakes has arrived for the new IS? Pictures plz, Indr.
Old 01-25-06, 07:05 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
Bichon do you know if a CAI will void any of the warranty? How bout a exhaust other than the factory HKS? Thanks
The IS is my first Lexus, so I'm not familiar with Lexus's stand on mods. No doubt the factory sanctioned mods are "safer" from a warranty perspective.

I can tell you that the Magnusson-Moss warranty act, the law that prevents carmakers from denying a warranty claim because you used Purolator or Fram replacement filters instead of OEM, doesn't offer much (if any) protection on performance enhancing modifications.
Old 01-25-06, 07:13 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bichon
The IS is my first Lexus, so I'm not familiar with Lexus's stand on mods. No doubt the factory sanctioned mods are "safer" from a warranty perspective.

I can tell you that the Magnusson-Moss warranty act, the law that prevents carmakers from denying a warranty claim because you used Purolator or Fram replacement filters instead of OEM, doesn't offer much (if any) protection on performance enhancing modifications.
If you put a CAI on your car and a power window motor blows, they have to warranty the window motor.
If you put a fancy schmancy special gizmo in your power window to make it go up and down at the speed of light, and your transmission blows, they have to warranty the tranny work.
If you put an aftermarket exhaust on your car and you blow the motor, there's a high probability that they will not warranty the motor.
If you put an aftermarket exhaust on your car and you blow the transmission, there's a high probability that they will not warranty the tranny.

Why? Because it can easily be argued that an aftermarket exhaust increases horsepower that the engine/trans weren't designed for and that's why they failed.

So basically, this rule applies: you have to pay to play. Any time you change something on your car, be prepared to have to pay for anything that fails either indirectly or directly as a result of that change (or could be construed to have failed due to it... do you really want to try to take a manufacurer to court???)
Old 01-25-06, 07:41 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yes it's more air, but no it's not more gas. the injectors still put in the same amount of gas i believe?
That's not right. At any time other than startup or hard acceleration, the car will be running in "closed loop" mode, where the fuel injector pulse width is directly controlled (via a fuel map table in the ECU) primarily by the amount of air entering the engine as measured by the mass air sensor, and corrected over time based on feedback from the oxygen sensors. In modern low emission engines, the closed loop system tries to acheive the perfect stoichiometric 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio.

In open loop mode, the ECU will intentionally run the engine rich, but still bases the pulse width on sensor inputs including the mass air sensor.

In other words, any gas mileage increase acheived with high performance intake or exhaust is acheived by increasing volumetric efficiency, NOT by making the engine run leaner.
Old 01-25-06, 08:21 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure to put your Oem exhuast back on, if your motor goes

Dealership repair shops can almost do whatever they want in terms
of having warranty work done, (even if it's not under warranty sometimes).. If you
get in good with them, and (tip well), you'd be shocked by what they can do..
Old 01-25-06, 06:57 PM
the lndr
Driver

steve has allready put a cai in the 350 and he said it was more of a success than on the 250. I was told by a service rep at Keyes Lexus that the cia will not mess up my warr-
Old 01-25-06, 07:02 PM
the lndr
Driver

Steve has not sent the pics yet to me. He said they will be on his website at Luxurymoterworks.com
Old 01-25-06, 09:46 PM
JKStylez
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Lndr,
Im the one that u saw at LMS the other day. Wow, you should have stayed a bit cause when my car got done it was really nice. The intake definitely reduced some throttle lag and sounds crazy. Its supposed to yield i tihnk 12 hp but i didnt dyno it. I will take some pics for u guys when i get the chance. =)
-Andy